Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice for family wanting to move to Ontario

Advice for family wanting to move to Ontario

Old Jun 13th 2017, 5:20 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for family wanting to move to Ontario

Tractor Trailer license with air brakes, apparently, it's an A license with a Z endorsement..

Get a truck driver's licence
The full Class A truck licence is the only licence that covers full air brake systems on both tractors and trailers.

What you can drive

You need a full Class A licence and an air brake (Z) endorsement if:

you are driving a trailer with air brakes
OR
your motor vehicle is pulling double trailers
(I had no idea, I had to google it, lol)
Old Jun 27th 2017, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

justme13 has a reputation beyond reputejustme13 has a reputation beyond reputejustme13 has a reputation beyond reputejustme13 has a reputation beyond reputejustme13 has a reputation beyond reputejustme13 has a reputation beyond reputejustme13 has a reputation beyond reputejustme13 has a reputation beyond reputejustme13 has a reputation beyond reputejustme13 has a reputation beyond reputejustme13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkshiredaz
Hi all I am new to this webpage.
So hope people don't mind me posting for some info/advice that so many have probably done already.

Try to be as brief as I can.

Me, my wife and 2 children(3 and 5 year old in next coming months) are hoping to move to Canada - Ontario.

Who we are:

I am 32 years old and currently work as hgv driver also done bar management before the pub trade dropped.
My wife is 29 years old and is a primary school teacher.
Our kids are crazy and love the outdoors.

What stage we are at in our immigrantion decision:

We have been researching plenty since February.
Just got back from a bit of a 'travel around and see the sights' trip.
We are looking into express entry(skilled worker) through my wife being the lead applicant as she is a qualified teacher. However we understand(from what we've been told) teaching is hard to get into and she will struggle to get work especially permanent for a long time.
We have done the crs score online and we look to get around 440 points which in current/previous rounds we stand a good chance on getting an invitation.
I am aware I will have to retrain to carry on doing hgv work, not too keen on long haul initially so maybe short haul if possible.
We are currently looking at doing the IELTS tests.
We are also in the middle of emailing Ontario college of teaching to get my wife's education accredited and we have a application form from them to fill in.

We are more than likely going to be coming with a bit of equity from sale of house here and can probably survive a year or so whilst trying to find work. Ideally work coming sooner than later would be better as we don't want to dip too much into the money incase we need to move back to U.K. (If things don't work out and we can't get any work to survive)

We would just like any information or advice or help from anyone who may have been in the same situation as us and have recently moved successfully with not having job safety before leaving uk.
We seem to notice that most people who have moved have got jobs before through work transfers etc. Unfortunately we don't have that privilege so hoping someone on here has done it the way we intend to and has got any advice.

It is a big risk but we are determined to make it work. Just with anything we are having doubts but also know it will be worth the risk.

Any further help or information would be great. Anything we have not thought of or missed.

Thanks in advance
1. Your wife may have to complete further education. In Ontario becoming a teacher is now a 6 year post graduate process. 4 year general bachelor's degree in your chosen subject and then a 2 year B.Ed

2. yes teaching is very difficult to get into, there are many teachers in Ontario who work part time in a different job. A lot of qualified teachers I know work as bartender's etc part time and get as many supply teaching positions as they possibly can

Teacher's in Ontario are payed very well compared to their British counterparts but it is very hard to get into the profession https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...rticle6015968/
Old Jun 27th 2017, 3:46 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

If you have funds for a year and can get here legally without a job offer and are up for an adventure then go for it... As I understand it trying to get a job when you are not in the country and dont have the legal rights to work yet is close to impossible.
We came without jobs and two small children and it was fine.
Good luck!!
Old Jul 5th 2017, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

mark22123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Keep us updated on your move