Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice on entering USA....

Advice on entering USA....

Old Jul 23rd 2006, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

GillR has a spectacular aura aboutGillR has a spectacular aura aboutGillR has a spectacular aura about
Default Advice on entering USA....

Hi...Need advice or pointing in the right direction pls...Have two family friends staying with us in Canada they are aged 15 and 17..when they arrived at Toronto they were pulled over by immigration and asked lots of Q's..we all suspected that might happen anyway..however, now they want to go over to Buffalo for the day with us for a visit to a theme park...the worry I have is a)Getting there and they dont let them cross into US or b) Being let in to US and then not allowed back into Canada!! :scared: I just dont think their mum and dad back in UK would appreciate me calling them to say their kids are stranded in US
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 10:31 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on entering USA....

HI

Originally Posted by GillR
Hi...Need advice or pointing in the right direction pls...Have two family friends staying with us in Canada they are aged 15 and 17..when they arrived at Toronto they were pulled over by immigration and asked lots of Q's..we all suspected that might happen anyway..however, now they want to go over to Buffalo for the day with us for a visit to a theme park...the worry I have is a)Getting there and they dont let them cross into US or b) Being let in to US and then not allowed back into Canada!! :scared: I just dont think their mum and dad back in UK would appreciate me calling them to say their kids are stranded in US
Do you have a notarized letter from the parents stating that you are responsible for them and that you have their permission to allow them to accompany you to the US and to Canada. If not don't take the chance.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 11:07 pm
Mans

Mans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by PMM
HI

Do you have a notarized letter from the parents stating that you are responsible for them and that you have their permission to allow them to accompany you to the US and to Canada. If not don't take the chance.

Totally agree with this advice.

i just flew into London with my son yesterday. (wife stayed in Canada as i'm on business for a week and my son wanted to catch up with some friends)

I was grilled at Uk customs as to why I have no letter of authority to travel from Mum.

Rgds
Mans
Old Jul 24th 2006, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mans
Totally agree with this advice.

i just flew into London with my son yesterday. (wife stayed in Canada as i'm on business for a week and my son wanted to catch up with some friends)

I was grilled at Uk customs as to why I have no letter of authority to travel from Mum.

Rgds
Mans
Out of interest would the letter have needed to be notarized? We recently renewed my 16 year old daughter's British passport here in Canada and the application was sent back requesting a letter from her Mum (my ex-wife) giving permission for my daughter to renew her passport. There's a certain irony in all of that considering her Mother lives in the UK and without a passport she wouldn't be able to get back to see her. Anyway her Mum sent over a letter (not notarized) and this was accepted. I thought it was strange that just a hand written letter that didn't really prove anything was acceptable.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 9:48 am
Mans

Mans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by stepnek
Out of interest would the letter have needed to be notarized?

I was told that I should carry a letter signed by the mother...there was no mention of it being required to be notorised.

Rgds
Mans
Old Jul 24th 2006, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

With regards to the letter, I entered the UK with one and was never asked for one.

Got back to Canada and I showed it and they said it had to be notarized. I was given such a hard time, I was travelling on my own with a 6 month baby, I find the whole flying thing stressful and I was asked so many questions, why my husband didn't go, who i was staying with, where I was staying, how much I spent when I was there etc etc. TBH it was none of there business as I was re-entering Canada. There was another woman with a baby as well and she was being subjected to the same questioning.

I never realised that it is was so suspicious a woman travelling on her own with her baby (and remember this all happened when I was coming back which makes it even more strange)
Old Jul 24th 2006, 12:45 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stepnek
Anyway her Mum sent over a letter (not notarized) and this was accepted. I thought it was strange that just a hand written letter that didn't really prove anything was acceptable.

Not sure what a "notarized" letter really proves either, if someone is minded to fake it.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 2:49 pm
Mans

Originally Posted by babsi
With regards to the letter, I entered the UK with one and was never asked for one.

Got back to Canada and I showed it and they said it had to be notarized. I was given such a hard time, I was travelling on my own with a 6 month baby, I find the whole flying thing stressful and I was asked so many questions, why my husband didn't go, who i was staying with, where I was staying, how much I spent when I was there etc etc. TBH it was none of there business as I was re-entering Canada. There was another woman with a baby as well and she was being subjected to the same questioning.

I never realised that it is was so suspicious a woman travelling on her own with her baby (and remember this all happened when I was coming back which makes it even more strange)

What a nightmare....last thing you need after a flight with a baby

I fly back to Canada on Saturday with my son.....i have no letter from mum :scared:

Mans
Old Jul 24th 2006, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by GillR
Don't take the risk, just take them to Canada's Wonderland instead. It is much closer and from what I hear just as good at Darien Lake.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 2:02 am
Just Joined

fuzzbuzz is an unknown quantity at this point

I have found that a letter is Ok, it didn't have to be notarised but did have to have contact details etc, should the authorities want to contact the parents.

As others have found the biggest hassle was on re-entry to Canada.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 2:13 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by fuzzbuzz
I have found that a letter is Ok, it didn't have to be notarised but did have to have contact details etc, should the authorities want to contact the parents.

As others have found the biggest hassle was on re-entry to Canada.
Because CBSA is very concerned about parental abduction.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 3:07 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi
Because CBSA is very concerned about parental abduction.

Canada is a Hague Convention signatory, no reason for them to be concerned.

Last edited by JAJ; Aug 5th 2006 at 3:10 am.