Reload this Page >

Advice for Calgary?

Advice for Calgary?

Old Aug 31st 2012, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Toni1912 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice for Calgary?

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
i know what a carpenter is..what kind of carpenter are you..shuttering carpenter, finishing carpenter...joiner etc etc
form carpenter
Old Aug 31st 2012, 7:55 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

you need to be applying to formwork companies..there are quite a few in Calgary i have two different companies on a couple of my sites right now downtown.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
you need to be applying to formwork companies..there are quite a few in Calgary i have two different companies on a couple of my sites right now downtown.
I am applying for a while but it seams they don't even read my resume. Maybe those companies I applied don't have LMO...I don't know. Can you help me?
Old Aug 31st 2012, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

chrissyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Toni1912
I am applying for a while but it seams they don't even read my resume. Maybe those companies I applied don't have LMO...I don't know. Can you help me?
How are you contacting them? If its by email then no suprise there, I made this mistake and people soon rectified me on here

They prefer face to face but if thats not possible you need to be phoning these companies, I sent over 75 emails and had no reply to any. The first company my partner called ended up being the one who has taken him on!
Old Sep 1st 2012, 7:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by chrissyb
How are you contacting them? If its by email then no suprise there, I made this mistake and people soon rectified me on here

They prefer face to face but if thats not possible you need to be phoning these companies, I sent over 75 emails and had no reply to any. The first company my partner called ended up being the one who has taken him on!
I am sending e-mail, I thought it was my cover letter or resume...Gonna try by phone - hope it works. Do you know any company (name) that has LMO and looking for carpenters?
Old Sep 1st 2012, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

chrissyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Toni1912
I am sending e-mail, I thought it was my cover letter or resume...Gonna try by phone - hope it works. Do you know any company (name) that has LMO and looking for carpenters?
No sorry ... I thought they only applied for LMO if they actually had someone to do it for .
We didn't go looking for a company with LMO we were looking for a company that were willing to go through the process . Luckily they already had it as someone from the U.K backed out .

But I am probably wrong ...
Have you read up on what the LMO is and what an employer has to prove to get one? It also only last's for 6 months I believe before they have to start the process again which is was im thinking they only applied if they had someone lined up.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by chrissyb
No sorry ... I thought they only applied for LMO if they actually had someone to do it for .
We didn't go looking for a company with LMO we were looking for a company that were willing to go through the process . Luckily they already had it as someone from the U.K backed out .

But I am probably wrong ...
Have you read up on what the LMO is and what an employer has to prove to get one? It also only last's for 6 months I believe before they have to start the process again which is was im thinking they only applied if they had someone lined up.
thank you. i m not from uk and i know what LMO is.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

Just to feed back. Called some companies directly, among lot of those unwilling to import foreign worker, found some willing to look how the process goes, or familiar with the process and willing to go throw. Still waiting but now with more hope. Thank you for the advice.
Old Sep 29th 2012, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

thedaviscrew is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dave-kate
Hi guys, been here since sunday, now got SIN's, alberta licences, bank accounts, etc etc. I now drive around in a $1200 cadillac (but I love it...great car) which cost $1400 to insure through the bank and which we are paying monthly, everything is done more or less and we have approx $2K left until payday...

Big phew and wipe of brow though

Excellent!! Good luck guys !
Old Sep 30th 2012, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

Ontheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond repute

Well we made it....payday yesterday and bought a second car for the good lady got everything paid and we are okay....so we did it with $5K for the two of us from the UK, but certainly squeeky bum time until that first payday, we have put by enough for two flights home if needed but at the moment still enjoying just being here.