Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice for Calgary?

Advice for Calgary?

Old Aug 12th 2012, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Stu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really nice
Default Re: Advice for Calgary?

Originally Posted by el_richo
Then no. Unless your job disappears or you hate it, of course. Going over to the unknown with $5k on hand and nothing to return to is VERY ballsy

$5k might cover your car insurance for 2 cars
+1
Old Aug 12th 2012, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

Ontheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Then no. Unless your job disappears or you hate it, of course. Going over to the unknown with $5k on hand and nothing to return to is VERY ballsy
"nothing ventured nothing gained rodders"...we didn't plan for the opportunity, but are grabbing it, if it doesn't work...well..at least we took the chance
Old Aug 12th 2012, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave-kate
"nothing ventured nothing gained rodders"...we didn't plan for the opportunity, but are grabbing it, if it doesn't work...well..at least we took the chance
I like your guts!

Just make sure you have enough money on hand to return if the jobs turn out to be not to be what you thought. Also try and keep on good terms with your UK employers so you can go back to them if it does not work out. This happens a lot here, people get promised the world and find out it is a "county"

Good luck - keep us posted, will enjoy your views of Calgary and Canada
Old Aug 13th 2012, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

TheKellys5 is on a distinguished road

Don't let the panic mongers scare you with the 5k car insurance. Shop around a bit, yes it's not cheap but you can get a company that will take your UK discount and accept a UK credit check - we did and paying around $250/month for 2 cars and contents insurance for the rental house we are in.

Good luck with the move - we love it here - hope it works out for you.
If you visiting Cochrane, gimme a shout!
Old Aug 13th 2012, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Ontheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond reputeOntheroadoflife has a reputation beyond repute

One good thing about what we do for a living is we have a very good reputation in the industry, and work self-employed in the UK, so getting jobs back here or within europe is not an issue. We are also lucky to both have understanding parents that are still alive with spare rooms, we can "take the punt" because we have no kids, no debts or mortgage, no ties to speak of, and if it does go up the swanny, well we have seen a bit of Canada As I've said before, this is neither planned for or even thought about as it NEVER happens to those in my industry, hence the almost half-assed way we are bumbling through.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

allycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you get a letter from you insurance company stating how many years "Accident free" you have. They dont understand "no claims bonus".

What are you getting paid an hour? I am a driver to and thinking of a move to Calgary!!!

Last edited by allycat231; Aug 13th 2012 at 4:41 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

Let me guess: Brewsters?
Old Aug 13th 2012, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

beautiful050278 is an unknown quantity at this point

yes i see....but employer is covering accommodation and furnishing it and deducting a less than market rent direct from pay-check, our flights we booked 2 weeks ago and by a fluke got a deal £362 each all in so they are paid, and at present as it is just me and my wife we are down-sizing everything and selling up...and by that i mean EVERYTHNG...we plan to arrive with 2 carry-on bags and 2 mega suitcases so we don't need freight or storage. we have no pets, so I suppose we will need 1 banger car to start off, 2 payg mobile sims, insurance and to survive to first pay-check (start at work the day after I arrive, and someone said it was normally fortnightly paid). you still say i need more than $10k?? <<<<<<<<getting worried, as at the min $5K is at hand

I hope you can cope with the jetlag better than we did. It took us almost 5 days to get over it
We paid $3000 for our car (found it on Kijiji, had to travel an hour out of the city too) but it did take a long time to find something which was actually worth the money (the car is12 years old I must point out).
Where abouts in Calgary are you staying in? I would advise you to get the full address so you can google it before you leave.
I think you are making the right choice. We love it here
Old Aug 13th 2012, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

cherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant future

My husband and I came over to Calgary with no job offers/accommodation etc. We had about £20k between us to keep us going/fall back on. We've been in Canada for about 2 months now and spent nowhere near that much...
We haven't yet bought a car though.
However, if you'll be starting work the day after you arrive, I'd have thought your current savings would be absolutely fine.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

Hi guys, been here since sunday, now got SIN's, alberta licences, bank accounts, etc etc. I now drive around in a $1200 cadillac (but I love it...great car) which cost $1400 to insure through the bank and which we are paying monthly, everything is done more or less and we have approx $2K left until payday...

Big phew and wipe of brow though
Old Aug 31st 2012, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

Toni1912 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know some Constructing companies in Calgary that hire carpenters?
Old Aug 31st 2012, 5:45 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

what kind of carpenter?
Old Aug 31st 2012, 6:03 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

yes i see....but employer is covering accommodation and furnishing it and deducting a less than market rent direct from pay-check, our flights we booked 2 weeks ago and by a fluke got a deal £362 each all in so they are paid, and at present as it is just me and my wife we are down-sizing everything and selling up...and by that i mean EVERYTHNG...we plan to arrive with 2 carry-on bags and 2 mega suitcases so we don't need freight or storage. we have no pets, so I suppose we will need 1 banger car to start off, 2 payg mobile sims, insurance and to survive to first pay-check (start at work the day after I arrive, and someone said it was normally fortnightly paid). you still say i need more than $10k?? <<<<<<<<getting worried, as at the min $5K is at hand
its doable. I came here on me tod with a ruck sac, no job, and about 2000 quid.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Toni1912 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
what kind of carpenter?
NOC 7271
Carpenters construct, erect, install, maintain and repair structures and components of structures made of wood, wood substitutes, lightweight steel and other materials. They are employed by construction companies, carpentry contractors, and maintenance departments of factories, plants and other establishments, or they may be self-employed.
Old Aug 31st 2012, 7:04 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toni1912
NOC 7271
Carpenters construct, erect, install, maintain and repair structures and components of structures made of wood, wood substitutes, lightweight steel and other materials. They are employed by construction companies, carpentry contractors, and maintenance departments of factories, plants and other establishments, or they may be self-employed.
i know what a carpenter is..what kind of carpenter are you..shuttering carpenter, finishing carpenter...joiner etc etc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.