Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advice on the Big Move

Advice on the Big Move

Old Mar 5th 2003, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

kinny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on the Big Move

Myself, my wife and our young son are currently finalising our immigration to Canada. I currently work in the UK as a software engineer, which covers the design/commission of industrial software for PLC's, HMI's & Robotics etc. I'm trying to find any contacts or any information on this field in the GTA area.

My wife works within the field of HR as is also qualified and we are being led to believe that she should not have a problem for employment.

I'm looking to contact anyone who over the last couple of years has completed their immigration especially to the GTA area for help and advise on the numerous relocation issues that we are about to face.
Old Mar 11th 2003, 8:22 pm
on the road again member

travelling_kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

one thing i'd recommend is try to secure a job before you commit to the move because there are plenty of organisations that, once offered you a position, will renumerate generously & pay much of your relocation expenses
seems to be the norm among the more competitve companies including health sector which employs many in both HR & IT
Old Mar 11th 2003, 8:25 pm
on the road again member

travelling_kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

also a job offer may be worded 'permanent position" which you'll be laughing all the way as immigration would insist on giving you residency rather than a temporary visa
at least if one of you have res, you may be able to apply for whole family residency
Old Mar 12th 2003, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

ngoodlad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice on the Big Move

Hi,
Just some advice I would give to your wife regarding HR. I used to work in HR in the UK and have not been able to get a job in Canada in the same field. I am in Vancouver though, so Toronto may be completely different. The majority of employers hiring HR professionals want someone with experience in labour relations, unions and workers compensation board. They also usually ask that you are have a CHRP qualification or working towards one. This is the equivalent of CIPD in the UK. So if your wife has a qualification in HR it might be a good idea to have it 'translated' into the Canadian equivalent. This website is for BC but it will give your wife an idea of the HR associations in Canada - www.bchrma.org

Good luck!

Originally posted by kinny
Myself, my wife and our young son are currently finalising our immigration to Canada. I currently work in the UK as a software engineer, which covers the design/commission of industrial software for PLC's, HMI's & Robotics etc. I'm trying to find any contacts or any information on this field in the GTA area.

My wife works within the field of HR as is also qualified and we are being led to believe that she should not have a problem for employment.

I'm looking to contact anyone who over the last couple of years has completed their immigration especially to the GTA area for help and advise on the numerous relocation issues that we are about to face.