Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

advice about Nova Scotia, Halifax in particular, please

advice about Nova Scotia, Halifax in particular, please

Old Feb 25th 2011, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond reputescottish_maple has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice about Nova Scotia, Halifax in particular, please

Why don't you take a Vacation to Halifax and see if you like it, check out schools etc and if its positive you can make a better decision when you get back home.

I understand your frustration with the UK particularly at this time of the year and the economic climate. I'm marrying a Canadian and have repeatedly stated that I do not want to live in Canada, but over the last few weeks (I'm currently job hunting) it seems like the better living arrangement, but I think we are going to give the UK a got first and if its not any better after 2 years will probably have to consider Canada.

I have lived with my Fiancé in New Bruswick (Moncton/Riverview) for a few months and I liked it. Its not as damp a cold as Nova Scotia.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

sslik2go will become famous soon enoughsslik2go will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Kaye5
Thanks - which UK stats were you comparing them with?

Sorry, but they're meaningless to me without seeing what you're comparing them against.

If there's less crime than where I live now, then that for me is a bonus!
Once again, I am not comparing it with UK stats but my county stats. As you appear to live in London, it obviously wouldn't matter to you.

thanks, Snort.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sslik2go
Once again, I am not comparing it with UK stats but my county stats. As you appear to live in London, it obviously wouldn't matter to you.

thanks, Snort.
I'm not having a go at you! I'm just interested in looking at the comparison that you wrote about!
Old Feb 25th 2011, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

sslik2go will become famous soon enoughsslik2go will become famous soon enough

I didn't think you were having a go, I thought you'd thought it was general UK info that would be relevant to you, that's why I tried explaining that i am looking at a different UK area.

If you want to see, have a look here
You can move around the map as well.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

Pebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nice

Statistics can be very misleading.

We moved from a "nice' village in the Midlands close to several small market towns to small town NS. We are now a couple of hours outside Halifax, but have spent a lot of time there in the last year and my son is at Uni at Dal (in the city).

I have found that crime appears dramatically lower here in my experience. Halifax generally feels safe to walk around in the dark. We laugh at the reports of crime in the local news paper. Generally things like someone's push bike was stolen rather than the horrific muggings and frequent break-in's which were common in our "idyllic" uk location. Generally here most people don't even lock their cars or homes (though that is probably different in the city). There are obviously a couple of pockets of problem areas within HrM that have issues, but in my experience crime was MUCH more of a worry in (a 'nice' part of) the UK than here. Less fear of crime was definitely a big plus for us being here in NS

Bedford is lovely, but relatively expensive and for NS. If you need public transport I would have thought maybe Dartmouth would be better? Have you looked at Sackville?
Old Feb 25th 2011, 4:06 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Just because you feel safe, doesn't mean you necessarily are safe.

Halifax is often in the top 10 for most violent crimes in Canada. Alberta is often top.
Since we've been here for 3 and a half years, there have been shootings, stabbings, and violent muggings where a few youths would attack 1 man for his possessions. That's just the worst of it that I have mentioned of course there are more petty things going on too.
There are alot of drugs here which really surprised me when we came accross.
My husband use to work in the North end and they would often see prostitutes and drugs being exchanged outside their office building. The police has to be called a few times.

I must admit I do feel safer as we live in the suburbs, but then I do't really go out at night here as there's nowhere to go.
I'm sure if they brought in more pubs it wouldn't be so quiet.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Pebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lorry1

Halifax is often in the top 10 for most violent crimes in Canada. Alberta is often top.
Since we've been here for 3 and a half years, there have been shootings, stabbings, and violent muggings where a few youths would attack 1 man for his possessions. That's just the worst of it that I have mentioned of course there are more petty things going on too.
True, but this is for a city of 350K, those things all happend in the UK market towns of a tenth that size.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 4:14 pm
Nova Scotia

Bellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
LOL this did make me laugh...I am now trying to think of one I could as her..lol
I was thinking the very same thing lol
Old Feb 25th 2011, 4:15 pm
Nova Scotia

Bellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond reputeBellanova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottish_maple
Why don't you take a Vacation to Halifax and see if you like it, check out schools etc and if its positive you can make a better decision when you get back home.

I understand your frustration with the UK particularly at this time of the year and the economic climate. I'm marrying a Canadian and have repeatedly stated that I do not want to live in Canada, but over the last few weeks (I'm currently job hunting) it seems like the better living arrangement, but I think we are going to give the UK a got first and if its not any better after 2 years will probably have to consider Canada.

I have lived with my Fiancé in New Bruswick (Moncton/Riverview) for a few months and I liked it. Its not as damp a cold as Nova Scotia.
What??
Old Feb 25th 2011, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

I must admit, I've followed the links and can't make any meaningful comparison as the UK/Canada stats seem to be done on different criteria.

Though nice to know my own home area is "average". But then so is most of London so I'm none the wiser really!

I will have to continue to live in blissful ignorance...!
Old Feb 25th 2011, 4:41 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

There are alot of drugs here which really surprised me when we came accross.
My husband use to work in the North end and they would often see prostitutes and drugs being exchanged outside their office building. The police has to be called a few times.

I must admit I do feel safer as we live in the suburbs, but then I do't really go out at night here as there's nowhere to go.
I'm sure if they brought in more pubs it wouldn't be so quiet.
Do you have a link to this? Seems strange to mix a province in with cities.

I would imagine every city in the world has a seedy vice area. North end is well known to be Halifax's and is in no way indicitive of the whole city.

Nova Scotia can be claimed to have many faults. Crime capital of the world ain't one of 'em.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 4:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pebblebeach
We laugh at the reports of crime in the local news paper. Generally things like someone's push bike was stolen rather than the horrific muggings and frequent break-in's which were common in our "idyllic" uk location. Generally here most people don't even lock their cars or homes (though that is probably different in the city).
Not even a push bike stolen in our UK village, never mind anything more violent! And I frequently don't bother to lock my car, leave kids bikes on the front lawn and even leave my keys in the front door overnight sometimes (oops!). My only experience of crime was when I lived in Canada, but that was Toronto.

So the same can be said of the UK, it just depends on where you are.

Old Feb 25th 2011, 4:51 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flogger
Do you have a link to this? Seems strange to mix a province in with cities.

I would imagine every city in the world has a seedy vice area. North end is well known to be Halifax's and is in no way indicitive of the whole city.

Nova Scotia can be claimed to have many faults. Crime capital of the world ain't one of 'em.
Look up crime rates Halifax. I have read a few articles that say Halifax is in the top 10 in Canada...I didn't say in the World!
Old Feb 25th 2011, 5:21 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Look up crime rates Halifax. I have read a few articles that say Halifax is in the top 10 in Canada...I didn't say in the World!
I have just tried. I found nothing Comparing the city of halifax, with the province of Alberta.

Per capita, Halifax can feature quite High, but when you consider Bugger all people live there compared to most cities. It just isn't a big issue.
Old Feb 25th 2011, 5:29 pm
The Brit is back

Originally Posted by Flogger
I have just tried. I found nothing Comparing the city of halifax, with the province of Alberta.

Per capita, Halifax can feature quite High, but when you consider Bugger all people live there compared to most cities. It just isn't a big issue.
It doesn't compare it to Alberta, but Halifax (or NS) is listed in top ten and Calgary (Alberta) is listed top.

I think considering there is not a huge population here, it is quite a big issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.