Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Advantages & Disadvantage of going on a student Visa while waiting for PR

Advantages & Disadvantage of going on a student Visa while waiting for PR

Old May 10th 2006, 12:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advantages & Disadvantage of going on a student Visa while waiting for PR

Originally Posted by gules
By free education, I meant the childrens elementary/high school education. Sorry didnt make this clear. College and Uni you have to pay international fees.
That's not free in Ontario, see Tiaribbon's post. I suppose it may be in Quebec.
Old May 10th 2006, 7:25 pm
ola
Forum Regular

ola is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advantages & Disadvantage of going on a student Visa while waiting for PR

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
We took this route. My husband and daughter applied for and were given 3 year Study Permits. We were at the tail-end of our immigration and were getting itchy feet. The Study Permits came through by return post and we pushed forward our move to Canada by some 4 months. We already had a house in Canada.

The Study Permit allowed me to apply for an Open Work Permit but I never applied for it. When we brought our daughter over here to attend elementary school we had to pay International Fees for her but it was worth it in my opinion.

Anyway, the Study Permit is a simple route to go down if you have the funds to prove that you can survive without working for 3 years.
How much do you pay for international student fees for elementary school?
Old May 11th 2006, 2:54 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ola
How much do you pay for international student fees for elementary school?
It was just over $6,000 a term if memory serves me right and this was for the period 2004 - 2005 so may be different now. Once we received PR we didn't have to pay anymore.