Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Accounting work in Alberta

Accounting work in Alberta

Old Mar 29th 2013, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

michael071284 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Accounting work in Alberta

My girlfriend is a qualified accountant and we are heading to Alberta on the Iec visa. She is coming to the end of her contract with Deloitte. Is there any accountants working over there that could share some advice? Have read bits saying its hard to get work without having Canadian expereince so was just wondering what jobs people took to get thier foot in the door? She is ACA qualified and was wondering what needs to be done to try and get the credentials to work in Canada
Old Mar 29th 2013, 11:39 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accounting work in Alberta

http://www.albertacas.ca/BecomeaCA/f...esignated.aspx
Old Mar 29th 2013, 11:54 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I am a CMA in Nova Scotia and found that I needed to make that transfer as no one here recognized the UK CIMA.
I am sure your girlfriend shouldnt have too much trouble doing that.

I didnt come across any problems getting work in NS without Canadian experience, I had to take a slight step back in position initially but it was less than a year before I was in a role that was better than what I left behind in the UK.

Good luck.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 11:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I am a CMA in Nova Scotia and found that I needed to make that transfer as no one here recognized the UK CIMA.
I am sure your girlfriend shouldnt have too much trouble doing that.

I didnt come across any problems getting work in NS without Canadian experience, I had to take a slight step back in position initially but it was less than a year before I was in a role that was better than what I left behind in the UK.

Good luck.
Thanks for the replys! Was it difficult to transfer your qualifications? Also when you say you had to take a step back what positions did you apply for when you first when over. She was wondering what jobs she should be looking at.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 12:28 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
It wasnt hard, I contacted the local CMA office and they put my through to the right contact. He sent me the link on the website and told me what to do, I then spent ages filling it all in through a portal. They asked for specific competencies in lots of areas, I had to self-assess and then back it up with examples. I then had to get my managers to verify the accuracy of my examples and assessment.

When I left the UK I had a fairly senior position looking after the financial reporting and budgeting of contracts and reporting straight into the Finance and Ops Director of a large diverse company.
My first job here was for a small family run company as their accountant. It was easy money but it was the same amount as what I earnt in the UK but with a dollar sign instead of a pound sign. I did that for 11 months and then applied for another job with a more corporate, larger company (more of what I like and am used to)

TBH - I found it easy to get interviews here quickly through an accounting recruitment firm. It felt rather like the UK in that respect.

I recommend your girlfriend try to contact Deloittes and the other top accounting firms in Alberta and see if she can make some contacts there. Linked-in may work well too....
Old Mar 30th 2013, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Hi
It wasnt hard, I contacted the local CMA office and they put my through to the right contact. He sent me the link on the website and told me what to do, I then spent ages filling it all in through a portal. They asked for specific competencies in lots of areas, I had to self-assess and then back it up with examples. I then had to get my managers to verify the accuracy of my examples and assessment.

When I left the UK I had a fairly senior position looking after the financial reporting and budgeting of contracts and reporting straight into the Finance and Ops Director of a large diverse company.
My first job here was for a small family run company as their accountant. It was easy money but it was the same amount as what I earnt in the UK but with a dollar sign instead of a pound sign. I did that for 11 months and then applied for another job with a more corporate, larger company (more of what I like and am used to)

TBH - I found it easy to get interviews here quickly through an accounting recruitment firm. It felt rather like the UK in that respect.

I recommend your girlfriend try to contact Deloittes and the other top accounting firms in Alberta and see if she can make some contacts there. Linked-in may work well too....
thanks very much!! hopefully put her mind at ease
Old Mar 30th 2013, 5:32 pm

salmonfella is an unknown quantity at this point

m.j.w
Old Mar 30th 2013, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by salmonfella
m.j.w
Indeed!!