Reload this Page >

Accounting jobs in Alberta and Ontario

Accounting jobs in Alberta and Ontario

Old Apr 18th 2005, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

abcd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Accounting jobs in Alberta and Ontario

Folks,
My friend will be finishing her undergraduate accounting degree from a US college by Dec 2005. Except that degree, no real life work experience however no doubts about her integrity, work ethics, and academic knowledge.

She plans to move to Alberta or may be somewhere in Ontario...So question is how are her chances of getting one accounting job in Canada without prior work experience...In US, accounting market is booming, however lately for legal aliens, there are so many restrictions and she does has Canadian PR, only thing holding here here is yet un-completed degree...

Thanks for your time

Regards
Old Apr 18th 2005, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

iwanttotalktoyou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Accounting jobs in Alberta and Ontario

Originally Posted by abcd
Folks,
My friend will be finishing her undergraduate accounting degree from a US college by Dec 2005. Except that degree, no real life work experience however no doubts about her integrity, work ethics, and academic knowledge.

She plans to move to Alberta or may be somewhere in Ontario...So question is how are her chances of getting one accounting job in Canada without prior work experience...In US, accounting market is booming, however lately for legal aliens, there are so many restrictions and she does has Canadian PR, only thing holding here here is yet un-completed degree...

Thanks for your time

Regards

She should work in the oil industry.

Job bank of Canada

http://jb-ge.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/Prov_en.asp?Student=false
Old May 16th 2005, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Default Accounting jobs in Alberta and Ontario

Folks, I just wanted to keep the following question alive. lately I saw few of you providing information in a extra-ordinary friendly way...so thought why now to try it again......

My wife will be finishing her undergraduate accounting degree from a US college by Dec 2005. Except that degree, no real life work experience however no doubts about her integrity, work ethics, and academic knowledge.

Thanks for your time

Regards
Old May 16th 2005, 11:36 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello abcd,

My wife will be finishing her undergraduate accounting degree from a US college by Dec 2005. Except that degree, no real life work experience however no doubts about her integrity, work ethics, and academic knowledge.
That doesn't add up. In a previous thread you asked a question about your son's trip to Canada. If your wife is the mother of the son to whom you referred in that earlier thread and if that son is old enough to travel solo, I assume your wife is older than her early twenties. If that is the case, it does not sound plausible that she has "no real life work experience." It's true that an adult may go back to school in order to change careers, in which case he/she may not have work experience in his/her new field, but that's a different scenario from no work experience at all. I mention this because I think it will serve you well to be forthcoming with relevant information, whether you're requesting information on this forum, communicating with a prospective employer, or whatever. Just my opinion.

So question is how are her chances of getting one accounting job in Canada without prior work experience
I'm not an accountant, but I'll try to answer this question as best I can. I believe it would be possible for your wife to obtain some sort of accounting job. I imagine that the combination of no prior work experience in the accounting field, being a newly arrived immigrant and having a degree from a country whose accounting laws and practices are different from those of Canada will result in a fairly junior accounting job to start with.

Your wife's chances of advancement in a Canadian accounting career would improve, I would think, if she studied part-time while she worked. For example, she could study towards qualification as a Certified General Accountant. According to the CGA web site, it takes between two and seven years to fulfill that organisation's study requirements. Because your wife will have a degree in accounting, the CGA program most likely would give her credit for some of her university accounting courses. Therefore I consider it unlikely that she would need to take all the CGA courses. Studying for a Canadian accounting designation would give your wife an opportunity to take courses that explained Canadian accounting laws, regulations and practices.

From what I understand, there are job openings in the accounting field in Alberta, but I would think there are in Ontario too.

Hope that helps.
Old May 17th 2005, 12:32 am
Bud
Forum Regular

Bud is an unknown quantity at this point

Folks,

Thanks for your time

Regards
I would certainly suggest to explore a possibility of sitting for CA exams (www.cica.ca) and trying to obtain an entry level position with one of the "big four" - KPMG, Deloitte, PWC or Earnst & Younge. They are always looking for people (check out www.workopolis.com. KPMG is always there with the longest list of vacancies in all provinces) as turnover of personnel in these firms is very high. By the time she gets her CA, she will have racked up a couple of years of public accounting experience, which is great to have and would give her currier a huge boost. Plus these firms have great in-house and outside courses and will pay for her CA studies.
Old May 17th 2005, 1:06 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

F

Thanks for your time

Regards
Already asked and answered:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2276089

She should complete her degree (incomplete qualifications rarely count for much). She should also consider obtaining the US CPA qualification.

Jeremy
Old May 17th 2005, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

Jaj,
Thanks for your answer...appreciated it then and appreciating it now. In fact I owe to you guys big...I am just curious to hear as much as possible in my situation's context, thats why stirred the pot again....

I am planning to write seperate thank-you notes to dear Judy and other friendly name too, who are providing so much help, by providing information and positivity, to so many needy folks through this forum...

Jaj, you are right about her finishing US education first, and that is the thing holding us back here. She plans to take US CPA and later canada CA too, but one thing at a time....

There are so many inspirational immigrant stories abround us, and we are doing our best...Thanks JAJ.

Best regards

Originally Posted by JAJ
Already asked and answered:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2276089

She should complete her degree (incomplete qualifications rarely count for much). She should also consider obtaining the US CPA qualification.

Jeremy
Old May 17th 2005, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

Bozlyone is an unknown quantity at this point

Jaj,
Thanks for your answer...appreciated it then and appreciating it now. In fact I owe to you guys big...I am just curious to hear as much as possible in my situation's context, thats why stirred the pot again....

I am planning to write seperate thank-you notes to dear Judy and other friendly name too, who are providing so much help, by providing information and positivity, to so many needy folks through this forum...

Jaj, you are right about her finishing US education first, and that is the thing holding us back here. She plans to take US CPA and later canada CA too, but one thing at a time....

There are so many inspirational immigrant stories abround us, and we are doing our best...Thanks JAJ.

Best regards
Hi there,

I work for Deloitte in Alberta, if you send me a pm with contact details I will give you a call to discuss.
Old May 17th 2005, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

aahtuk is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Hello abcd,

That doesn't add up. In a previous thread you asked a question about your son's trip to Canada. If your wife is the mother of the son to whom you referred in that earlier thread and if that son is old enough to travel solo, I assume your wife is older than her early twenties. If that is the case, it does not sound plausible that she has "no real life work experience." It's true that an adult may go back to school in order to change careers, in which case he/she may not have work experience in his/her new field, but that's a different scenario from no work experience at all.

Judy,

This analysis is plain AWESOME!

You should be a detective - I think you're good!

Later!
Old May 17th 2005, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Hi Judy,
Thanks a lot for such a positive note. You are right about my wife's real life experiences. Based upon my last 21 years with her, I agree with every single word you wrote about her capabilities. Now when our both children are in a top US college, (and presently money is not a problem) it is her turn for her self-actualization, and I am making sure that I do my part in that.

Your write up was a great reminder to both of us about what she has (or rather we have) and were not seeing it...

I better not start writing here about how happy/touched I am after reading your material, do not want to embarrass you with my kind words. Many thanks for sure...

Go Judy go!!

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Hello abcd,

That doesn't add up. In a previous thread you asked a question about your son's trip to Canada. If your wife is the mother of the son to whom you referred in that earlier thread and if that son is old enough to travel solo, I assume your wife is older than her early twenties. If that is the case, it does not sound plausible that she has "no real life work experience." It's true that an adult may go back to school in order to change careers, in which case he/she may not have work experience in his/her new field, but that's a different scenario from no work experience at all. I mention this because I think it will serve you well to be forthcoming with relevant information, whether you're requesting information on this forum, communicating with a prospective employer, or whatever. Just my opinion.

I'm not an accountant, but I'll try to answer this question as best I can. I believe it would be possible for your wife to obtain some sort of accounting job. I imagine that the combination of no prior work experience in the accounting field, being a newly arrived immigrant and having a degree from a country whose accounting laws and practices are different from those of Canada will result in a fairly junior accounting job to start with.

Your wife's chances of advancement in a Canadian accounting career would improve, I would think, if she studied part-time while she worked. For example, she could study towards qualification as a Certified General Accountant. According to the CGA web site, it takes between two and seven years to fulfill that organisation's study requirements. Because your wife will have a degree in accounting, the CGA program most likely would give her credit for some of her university accounting courses. Therefore I consider it unlikely that she would need to take all the CGA courses. Studying for a Canadian accounting designation would give your wife an opportunity to take courses that explained Canadian accounting laws, regulations and practices.

From what I understand, there are job openings in the accounting field in Alberta, but I would think there are in Ontario too.

Hope that helps.
Old May 18th 2005, 9:56 am
Just Joined

HEL1965 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bozlyone
Hi there,

I work for Deloitte in Alberta, if you send me a pm with contact details I will give you a call to discuss.

Hi

We are qualified ACCA's and my husband also has the Institute of Internal Auditors exam. We met up with recruitment agents last June in Edmonton who seemed positive about getting us work in the $60k+ range. Do you have any views on how the market will perceive the qualification? Hubby intends to study towards a Canadian exam but this will take time and he will need to work asap on our arrival (once we sell the house and the sale sticks - 4 drop outs to date AAAARGH!).

Cheers

Helen