Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Accountants Recognising Designation

Accountants Recognising Designation

Old Jan 22nd 2010, 4:45 am
Just Joined

waterfem19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Accountants Recognising Designation

I was looking into how to get my UK chartered accountant qualification recognised in Alberta. I see that I am exempt from some thing but have to take the CARE test.

My questions are how difficult is this and getting the training, particularly the Canadian tax aspect?

Also has has anyone regonised there UK qualification in Canada and then noved back to the UK. What implications would that bring? Would you be made to do the same things going back to the UK?
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accountants Recognising Designation

Originally Posted by waterfem19
I was looking into how to get my UK chartered accountant qualification recognised in Alberta. I see that I am exempt from some thing but have to take the CARE test.

My questions are how difficult is this and getting the training, particularly the Canadian tax aspect?

Also has has anyone regonised there UK qualification in Canada and then noved back to the UK. What implications would that bring? Would you be made to do the same things going back to the UK?
We have been here 3 years and OH has failed CARE. He has 20 years PQE as a ACA, holds a practicing certificate for the UK and still failed. He is now classed as Time barred in Canada

CARE is a pretty comprehensive exam and takes two exams over two days and is only available to take in Alberta in October each year. I think that the practice that my hubby came to work for rushed him into the CARE and most of the people who sat the first course with him had been inCanada anything from 2 - 5 years before their first attempt.

I think working prior to sitting it gives you the experience unless you are good at studying and can just pass exams for fun.

The most annoying thing about the CARE is that the pass mark is a rolling one so they move the pass mark and only allow a certain % to pass every year - OH has missed out by 1 or 2 % for the past 3 years

HTH

Gaynor
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 4:43 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

As for returning to the UK -as long as you continue to pay dues to ICAEW then you can remain a member for life, and move back and work as a CA anytime. Dues are reduced for foreign residents.

You don't have to take the CARE exam, unless you want to a partner and be able to sign off on an audit. I work in industry and haven't converted - not caused me any problems so far...
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

david_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nice

i moved to calgary on a working holiday visa with an australian ca qualification

my visa prohibits me from taking any educational courses etc... so i can't comment on the CARE exam.

from what i know of australia, pretty much all employers will recognize a uk qualification as equivalent (i assume it probably works the same way in the uk, since a lot of aussies make their way over there). when i was looking for a job here in calgary, i felt that having an australian, rather than a canadian ca was a definite disadvantage

it seemed like most recruiters didn't want to know about me as soon as they found out my qualification was australian, and that my work experience was australian. Out of the first 50 or so applications i sent off, i got zero replies.

luckily, i got 2 offers in the end, one of which i took and are now helping me with PR.

there are some employers here that don't mind foreign experience / qualifications. its just a bit hard to find them. and your experience would probably be far easier than mine if you are coming here on PR rather than a working holiday visa

and yeah... im not sure if i will ever convert my australian ca. it seems like a lot of work for little benefit.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

Well all good info thanks. Something to think about!!! I am hoping having a years experience as a controller in Canada will help alot with me getting a new job once my secondment is over!!!
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 2:40 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Well all good info thanks. Something to think about!!! I am hoping having a years experience as a controller in Canada will help alot with me getting a new job once my secondment is over!!!
If you are serious about making your future in Alberta, you should become an Alberta CA.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 2:58 am
Just Joined

Well I just read that you have to give evidence of practical experience (inc. audit) and it can't be more than 5 years old. I am getting pretty close to that but don't know if it is from when you register or when you take the exams. Anone know?
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 5:38 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Well I just read that you have to give evidence of practical experience (inc. audit) and it can't be more than 5 years old. I am getting pretty close to that but don't know if it is from when you register or when you take the exams. Anone know?
Speak to the Institute in Alberta. They may accept your experience from when you trained, or more recently.

Two things you need to know:

- if you belong to ICAEW you can use many ICAA services at member rates (Global Accounting Alliance);
- you may not be allowed to use the CA designation (or anything that looks like it) in Alberta until you become an Alberta CA.
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 8:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
- you may not be allowed to use the CA designation (or anything that looks like it) in Alberta until you become an Alberta CA.
That is correct although you can still use your ICAEW designation you are not allowed to call yourself a Chartered Accountant
Old Jan 24th 2010, 11:25 am
Just Joined

rixxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys

Sorry to post this here but I don't really know where else to ask. I just recently attained my CA designation in Canada but want to work in England. Does the designation transfer over there succesfully?
Old Jan 24th 2010, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rixxx
Hey guys

Sorry to post this here but I don't really know where else to ask. I just recently attained my CA designation in Canada but want to work in England. Does the designation transfer over there succesfully?
Check this website

http://www.icaew.com/index.cfm/route...land_and_Wales
Old Jan 24th 2010, 6:10 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Or alternatively, the Scottish or Irish institutes:
http://www.icas.org.uk
http://www.icai.ie

Unlike the situation in Canada for out-of-province CAs, you are allowed to call yourself a Chartered Accountant in England and Wales if you have a designation from Scotland/Ireland, or vice versa.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

david_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nicedavid_oz is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
Speak to the Institute in Alberta. They may accept your experience from when you trained, or more recently.

Two things you need to know:

- if you belong to ICAEW you can use many ICAA services at member rates (Global Accounting Alliance);

that's true in theory. but i've found actually trying to get anything out of the alberta ca's or the canadian institute has been like drawing blood out of a stone. they just send you around in circles between each other... ive given up and just rely on my colleagues for anything useful out of the canadian ca's

as for the title issue. on my business card i just have my name, followed by "CA (Australia)"
Old Jan 25th 2010, 3:55 am
Just Joined

Well that was what I was thinkinh on my cv I would put chartered accountant of england and wales. I am not going to not use it after all my hard work for it!
Old Jan 25th 2010, 4:26 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Well that was what I was thinkinh on my cv I would put chartered accountant of england and wales. I am not going to not use it after all my hard work for it!
Absolutely! Put Chartered Accountant - ICAEW on your resume....

Don't forget Canadian GAAP is no more as from end of 2010 - IFRS experience should be front and centre on your resume, that'll get some attention.

Good luck with the job hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.