British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Accountancy Work in Calgary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/accountancy-work-calgary-689404/)

Yandros Oct 13th 2010 1:51 pm

Accountancy Work in Calgary

Hi Guys,
I'm new to this website (just found it through Google), so apologies if this has been asked before.
I have recently got Canadian PR status and I'm now looking to move to Calgary as soon as possible. I'm a UK Chartered Accountant with about 20 years experience and I'd appreciate any advice about getting a finance or accountancy job in Calgary. I qualified with a UK national firm, but I've spent most of my working life in industry. Recent jobs have been based around financial planning and forecasting for UK Govt bids, but I'd be happy to look at anything in the accountancy field.
The plan is to get my Alberta CA qualification as soon as possible (for which I have to sit a conversion exam and make sure I have the relevant experience), so a job where I can make sure I get a good spread of experience would be an advantage.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Y

Sherlock Holmes Oct 13th 2010 1:58 pm

Re: Accountancy Work in Calgary

Hi Yandros and welcome to B.E. :)

It's my pleasant duty to welcome you to the forum and give you a point of contact should you need any help with the site in general. You can contact me here.

A list of all the moderators and helpers with their relevant countries including Canada can be found here.

Any problems, dont hesitate to PM me.

I'm in Australia, so can't answer your question but I'm sure that someone who can will be along soon. Good luck and enjoy B.E.! :)

Alistair.

Aviator Oct 13th 2010 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Yandros (Post 8915455)
Hi Guys,
I'm new to this website (just found it through Google), so apologies if this has been asked before.
I have recently got Canadian PR status and I'm now looking to move to Calgary as soon as possible. I'm a UK Chartered Accountant with about 20 years experience and I'd appreciate any advice about getting a finance or accountancy job in Calgary. I qualified with a UK national firm, but I've spent most of my working life in industry. Recent jobs have been based around financial planning and forecasting for UK Govt bids, but I'd be happy to look at anything in the accountancy field.
The plan is to get my Alberta CA qualification as soon as possible (for which I have to sit a conversion exam and make sure I have the relevant experience), so a job where I can make sure I get a good spread of experience would be an advantage.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Y

Your best chances are from being in Calgary and meeting people. Consider networking through such goups as Chamber of Commerce, golf clubs and othe places potential employers hang out. Lots of businesses hire accountants as controllers/comptrollers.

JonboyE Oct 13th 2010 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by The Aviator (Post 8915714)
Your best chances are from being in Calgary and meeting people. Consider networking through such goups as Chamber of Commerce, golf clubs and othe places potential employers hang out. Lots of businesses hire accountants as controllers/comptrollers.

Agreed that a controller's job is a good place to start. Smaller companies are more willing to take a chance on a foreign trained accountant. However, be sure to know the expected salary ranges for the job and the size of the company. You have to pitch for a lower salary than someone with Canadian experience - at least to get your foot in the door.

A controller will be expected to ensure the company collects the right amount of sales tax, withholds the right amount from employees pay, and remit these to the government on time. Some research on this before you start job hunting will be very valuable.

I'm not a CA and did not have to go through this conversion process. However, I understand the conversion exam is quite tough and a year or so of work experience in Canada before you sit it is very worthwhile.

Blendin Oct 15th 2010 1:07 am

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 8915779)
I'm not a CA and did not have to go through this conversion process. However, I understand the conversion exam is quite tough and a year or so of work experience in Canada before you sit it is very worthwhile.

http://www.icao.on.ca/Admissions/Mem...4page1080.aspx

"In keeping with the global move to International Financial Reporting Standards, beginning in 2010 the CARE will no longer test a candidate’s knowledge of any significant differences between Canadian accounting and assurance standards and those of a membership candidate’s home country. As a result, the new CARE is a four-hour, 100-multiple-choice-question, non-disclosed examination that covers Canadian taxation (50 marks), Canadian business law (20 marks) and the Canadian CA profession’s rules of professional conduct (30 marks). The CARE tests knowledge, comprehension and limited application of knowledge but not higher-order skills."

http://www.icao.on.ca/Admissions/Occ...0page1361.aspx

"You must also complete the following Institute requirements for members of designated accounting bodies:

* the CA Reciprocity Examination (CARE); and
* three years of accounting experience, if you have not been exempted from it."

mcm Oct 15th 2010 6:54 pm

There's always the big 4.....