Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Accountancy- moving as soon as possible.

Accountancy- moving as soon as possible.

Old May 8th 2013, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

7506dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Accountancy- moving as soon as possible.

I was just wondering if people on this forum would be able to advise me on a few issues. I've basically been working for 3 months at an accountancy and audit firm and have completed 4 ACA exams.

I basically want to move to Canada as soon as possible to work there be it in accounting, finance or law (also have an LLB in law and LPC). What do you reckon the best way for me to do this. Stick it out and complete the ACA and go on a working holiday visa, or just pack it in now and go there under a working holiday visa and study accountancy over there.

Any help would be most welcome
Old May 8th 2013, 7:08 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accountancy- moving as soon as possible.

How many exams do you have remaining?
If you have managed to sit 4 (and passed them?) in 3 months then personally I would stay there and truck through them.

Does ACA have a MRA agreement with its Canadian equiv? If not sure I would give them a call to find out. If you can get through the exams quickly in the UK and then transfer that would be easier.

How old are you? I am just wondering if you would qualify under IEC for the under 30's.
Old May 8th 2013, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

7506dan is an unknown quantity at this point

I have done some research and the aca is mutually recognised in Ontario.
Old May 8th 2013, 7:13 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Then tbh I would get through it there and then transfer
Old May 8th 2013, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 7506dan
I was just wondering if people on this forum would be able to advise me on a few issues. I've basically been working for 3 months at an accountancy and audit firm and have completed 4 ACA exams.

I basically want to move to Canada as soon as possible to work there be it in accounting, finance or law (also have an LLB in law and LPC). What do you reckon the best way for me to do this. Stick it out and complete the ACA and go on a working holiday visa, or just pack it in now and go there under a working holiday visa and study accountancy over there.

If you wish to go down the law route, you will need to have your credentials assessed by the NCA who will then let you know how many transfer exams you will need to write. Once you have done those, you would apply to the Provincial Law Society to "Article" the equivalent of a Training Contract in the UK.

Your biggest issue will likely be obtaining PR (most, if not all, of the Provincial Law Societies will require you to be a PR before you can begin Articles) and then persuading a firm to offer you Articles.

If you search NCA there are lots of threads about the process. Here is a link to the relevant website: NCA

Best of luck
Old May 8th 2013, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

Yandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the rough

To the OP. I'm a UK qualified ACA and I moved to Alberta about a year ago.

If Ontario is the same as Alberta the mutual recognition is dependent on passing a 'transfer exam' and a rview of experience. It isn't simply a case of completing a form and paying the subscription. Additionally mutual recognition is usually designed for fully qualified rather than par qualified people, and you may run into difficulty if you're trying to go down a mutual recognition route before qualifying; simply because it's fairly unusual.

Personally, unless there are pressing reasons why you need to move to Canada now, I would get the UK qualification sorted, and then look to move. Before doing so I'd also try to get some indication from the Ontario Chartered Accountants as to whether your experience will satisfy them, and if not where is it lacking. You can then try to use the remaining time in the UK to get the required addtional experience.

Hope this helps - Y
Old May 8th 2013, 11:07 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 7506dan

Unless it has changed dramatically since my day, to get on an ACA training course in the first place is quite an achievement; especially in the current climate. To then pass 4 exams in 3 months is astounding! Good for you!!! Why would you want to give all that up? The other consideration is that - as I'm sure you know - just passing the exams doesn't make you a Chartered Accountant. You also have to pass the requirements for membership - the appropriate experience etc etc. I would suggest you complete your qualification and then contemplate a move over here. As already said, if you're still young enough, the IEC route might be your best bet. think a year or two ago Accountants were taken off the FSW "list".

Good luck though!!