Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Accomodation help with Jasper, for Mini Ski Break

Accomodation help with Jasper, for Mini Ski Break

Old Dec 15th 2008, 4:03 am

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Accomodation help with Jasper, for Mini Ski Break

Hi All

I was wondering if any of you could offer some suggestions, we are looking into a small break to Jasper. Very small so we don't need a fancy hotel or anything, just somewhere to rest your legs after a good hard ski.

I'm familiar with Banff having to get the bus to go to the mountains, Sunshine, Lake Louise or Norquay.

What's the set up if we want to go to Marmont Basin, is the mountain closer?

We will have a car by then, but I'm sure there will be a bus.

I have been seraching the net but any advice and info from any of you would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in due course.

Last edited by Cassie 10000; Dec 15th 2008 at 4:14 am.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

Alan B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Accomodation help with Jasper, for Mini Ski Break

Not sure if its near enough, or even if they are open, but highly recomended, the KOA campground at Hinton Has Kabins, very basic, but very cheap $60(per cabin) a night and they sleep 4 on one double and a set of bunks, take your own bedding, but they are incredibly clean and well looked after, i guess it puts you about 40 mins from jasper, but on the right side,

Hope this helps

Alan
Old Dec 15th 2008, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

Waltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud ofWaltzing Matilda has much to be proud of

Athabasca Lodge is quite a nice hotel. And you can get to the ski hill from there.....I believe they put on a shuttle bus. We got a room there for about $80.....that was in february. Not sure if the prices have changed since then! x
Old Dec 15th 2008, 5:03 am

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steph Golder
Athabasca Lodge is quite a nice hotel. And you can get to the ski hill from there.....I believe they put on a shuttle bus. We got a room there for about $80.....that was in february. Not sure if the prices have changed since then! x
Many thanks both of you.

The Athabasca is on my short list along with Wistler Inn.

I am just looking into B & B's at the moment as well.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

I stayed at the Astoria in Jasper in January 2006 and found it very comfortable and cosy and in a great location - would definitely recommend it. The ski bus stopped outside (3 departures each morning so you can hit the slopes early or later in the morning) and took about 45 mins drive up to Marmot Basin (approx, if I remember rightly) - a beautiful journey on an old school bus! There was a pub and restaurant adjoining/within the hotel and the ski rental shop was right next door. On the main street in town so other restaurants and facilities were within easy walking distance. The lovely Bear's Paw bakery was just around the corner.

http://www.astoriahotel.com/

I loved Jasper, and Marmot's uncrowded slopes and back to nature experience - hope you have a great time!

Adele

P.S. Just thinking about it is making me jealous now!
Old Dec 15th 2008, 2:18 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

I believe they have special deals on in January(because it can get pretty cold out there!)

We went on our first ski trip ever to Jasper and it was great for us beginners - lots of wide open empty runs, nice gentle gradients that run through the trees and very good ski instructors - we were doing parallel turns from scratch by the third day!

I think most of the hotels there are much of a muchness - check out tripadvisor.com for reviews (but take with a pinch of salt sometimes). Some of the hotels are a bit of a walk from the town centre if it is cold so bear that in mind.

There is a bus to the ski resort but its not too far from town and we drove there in our non 4 wheel drive hire car and it was fine (not too dicey!) - it will depend on the weather of course if you fancy attempting the winding drive up yourselves!

There are also some ski hire places on the street opposite the train station as well as up the ski hill so you can get that all sorted before you get to the ski hill if you want to too.

Have a blast!
Flossie
Old Dec 15th 2008, 3:54 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Nearly forgot...if you have AMA membership they may still sell cut price ski lift tickets - they did a few years back anyway.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 4:14 pm

I would like to say thanks again to everyone that has replied and I have read all your suggestions so far.

As I was looking on the net have stumbled across a great site here's the link http://www.bbcanada.com/
Old Dec 15th 2008, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

We have booked a few times via AMA it works out much cheaper.

We are off there in a couple of weeks and stay at the Amethyst Hotel, highly reccommend this hotel, but I beleive it's closing in Jan/Feb for renovations as we have tried to book for Feb and it keeps saying there are no dates for Jan/Feb???

We also rent our skis via Sundance in Edmonton and take them with us. It's cheaper than in Jasper and you don't have to wait in the huge line ups in Marmot. Also you can park on one of the higher car parks and ski straight on!!!

WWW.sundanceskishop.com

Linda
Old Dec 16th 2008, 1:17 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Pyramid Lake cabins are nice but noisy if your on the ground floor - you can hear every foot step of someone going upstairs and every b:curse:y bounce of the ball the horrible child is bouncing.

We have also stayed at Lobstick Lodge which was basic but OK - we would stay again.

I remember they provide a shuttle to the ski hill.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

We have also stayed at Lobstick Lodge which was basic but OK - we would stay again.

I remember they provide a shuttle to the ski hill.[/QUOTE]

That's nice to know...we are looking to book in the Lobstick for Feb.

Linda