Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Accessing UK tele

Accessing UK tele

Old May 1st 2014, 10:27 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accessing UK tele

Originally Posted by allycat231
Wish I could "download" a nice cornish pastie right now!!
Start a thread asking where you can buy one and you can be sure someone will answer with a "why don't you make your own?" and provide their recipe.

It's guaranteed.
Old May 1st 2014, 10:46 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes when I can't sleep at 2:00 AM Public Broadcasting WGBS Boston has Doc Martin or The Cafe or Father Brown on and I quite enjoy them. The Vicar of Dibley was good but they haven't had that on for a few weeks.
Old May 1st 2014, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Why do you find the need to access UK tele as you put it?
You are in Canada so immerse yourself in all things Canadian.
Have you ever tried sitting on a frozen lake and drilling a hole and trying to catch a fish while sat in a wooden shack drinking copious amounts of beer?
The backyard BBQ on a warm summer evening drinking copious amounts of alcohol?
The weekend garage sales to attend where you can buy stuff from 25 cents to whatever you can knock them down to. If driving to these then copious amounts of alcohol is not recommended.
Enjoy the rich cultural things and impressive architecture in small towns or large cities. Have a perogie and cabbage roll lunch and don't forget the side chunk of kielbasa and then wash it all down with copious amounts of alcohol.

Are you that sad of missing episodes of TOWIE, Made in Chelsea or Jeremy Kyle?
Cause the TV is shite. Careful to remove your tongue from your cheek before you bite down .
I enjoy proper humour, QI, Rev, Have I got news for you etc. Be sure to enjoy the Canadian presentation of the World Cup, personally I'll be watching the games on BBC and ITV (with lashings of beer)!
Old May 2nd 2014, 12:34 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GC44
Be sure to enjoy the Canadian presentation of the World Cup, personally I'll be watching the games on BBC and ITV (with lashings of beer)!
I wonder who will be presenting this time.

Hope it's not the old feller again. Don't remember his name.

I shall certainly be watching more on BBC/ITV...although I do find that BBC itself keeps freezing...only for a second but it's so regular it does spoil it. But plenty of BBC options on different sites that work just as well.

For 2006 and 2010 it was good to get the games but the presentation was pretty poor. However Canadian coverage since 2010 is much improved, so some of it might be more bearable.
Old May 2nd 2014, 12:57 am
Just Joined

ted34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I use tunnelbear.com really easy to use and you can access web sites or radio stations from UK, USA, Germany, Australia, France and Netherlands all for $6 per month, its worth a look.

Ted
Old May 2nd 2014, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously the sarcasm in my post didn't reach everybody
TBH Canadian programmes are quite shite and Im sick of the CBC showing even more repeats of Road to Avonlea and other such dross. Actually watching paint dry or the grass grow is more enjoyable than some Canadian produced TV shows.
Old May 2nd 2014, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

allycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond repute

Only decent thing on TV is Game of Thrones and I download that anyway! CBC is only good for news!
Old May 2nd 2014, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by allycat231
Only decent thing on TV is Game of Thrones and I download that anyway! CBC is only good for news!
Errrr what about Coronation St thats on CBC.
Old May 2nd 2014, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

allycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond repute

I've not watched corrie in 20 years! The only decent show to come out of the UK recently was Broadchurch
Old May 2nd 2014, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I wonder who will be presenting this time.

Hope it's not the old feller again. Don't remember his name.

However Canadian coverage since 2010 is much improved, so some of it might be more bearable.
Is the 'old guy' this fellow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Howard_(soccer)

If so, I agree with you...can't stand him. He states the obvious far too often and my eyes glaze over listening to him.

This webpage may help.

http://canadiansportsfan.wordpress.c...-commentators/

Generally, Canadian TV takes the commentary feed from the 'world feed' in english which consists of english speaking (generally from the UK) commentators without the jingoistic bilge uttered by Ian Wright etc. That is generally the same 'world feed' that we get for the Premier League.

The pre-game, post-game and halftime commentary is usually done in a studio in Canada by b-listers in Canadian soccer who ended up here. The one benefit is that we are spared the musings of Roy Keane and Glenn Hoddle etc.
Old May 5th 2014, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

What are the best free sites for UK tv torrents pirate bay dosent have that many?
Old May 5th 2014, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jericho79
I know this has been done to death, but it seems like there are new options coming available all the time, so I wanted to see if I'm mising out on anything.

Currently, I do one of two things:
1) download torrents to my laptop, and then stream the content to my TV from my laptop (using Chromecast)

or

2) access iPlayer, etc, using Hola Unblocker on Google Chrome... and also, stream this to my TV via Chromecast.

I've just been reading about the Roku HDMI stick, and how it has apps for iPlayer, Now TV, etc. So I'm wondering if I adjust the settings on my modem (vpn/dns?) I can probably do it this way. Anyone tried this?

We dont have a cable subscription, so all of our TV content comes from the internet one way or the other.

Is there an easier/better way?
Sorry, off topic, Jericho, so you can generally get away with torrent downloading in Canada? Thanks
Old May 5th 2014, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jericho79
Thanks, will investigate unotelly.

FWIW- 2 does work- i use it right now. Although if I connect to a VPN, then try to chromecast, it doesnt work.
How do you find chromecast will it play most formats, and is picture quality good.
I am just about to return two WD tv live which I have found to be to much trouble to use.
Old May 5th 2014, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dishwashing
Sorry, off topic, Jericho, so you can generally get away with torrent downloading in Canada? Thanks
Yes, downloading isnt illegal (for personal use), but uploading (which you cannot really avoid with torrents) is where the problems can start. I've been doing it for 5+ years and never had any issues.
Old May 5th 2014, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike Gas
How do you find chromecast will it play most formats, and is picture quality good.
I am just about to return two WD tv live which I have found to be to much trouble to use.
Chromecast works pretty flawlessly with youtube (presumably due to shared ownership).

You can stream stuff from your personal library (eg/ downloaded movies), but it depends on the format. MP4 works almost all the time, but other formats dont (mkv, avi sometimes). You can uload the files to google drive, and they usually work from there, but it's a finicky process. Or you can convert them in to mp4, but again, it's a PITA.

95% of the time, i find it does what i want it to do... and it performs well. The stream is good quality, not choppy, etc. The other 5% of the time, it can be a frustration but there are workarounds. For $35, or whatever it costs, I cant really fault it though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.