Reload this Page >

Accepted by the locals?

Accepted by the locals?

Old Dec 27th 2011, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

JonJib is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Accepted by the locals?

Hi,

We have permission to migrate to NB under the provincial nominee program, a condition of which requires us to set up a business in NB. In return we have been given PR status.

Would appreciate expat experience please, of the reaction of the local population to new ventures in NB (we are likely to settle in Fredericton).

Are they generally welcoming (or not) to immigrants and their businesses?

Have you experienced any reluctance/hostility to use services provided by newcomers/immigrants?

How have your kids been received into NB by their peers etc (ours are currently 9 and 11)?

All views/experiences (the bad are just as important as the good) would be appreciated please.

Many thanks.
Old Dec 27th 2011, 7:56 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accepted by the locals?

Originally Posted by JonJib
Hi,

We have permission to migrate to NB under the provincial nominee program, a condition of which requires us to set up a business in NB. In return we have been given PR status.

Would appreciate expat experience please, of the reaction of the local population to new ventures in NB (we are likely to settle in Fredericton).

Have you experienced any reluctance/hostility to use services provided by newcomers/immigrants?

How have your kids been received into NB by their peers etc (ours are currently 9 and 11)?

All views/experiences (the bad are just as important as the good) would be appreciated please.

Many thanks.
So long as you don't complain about the price of cheese, how much better things were 'back home' and how behind Canada is compared to 'back home'. Don't be a whinging pom you should be fine. Oh and the standard of driving is not too great, but you'll soon adapt.
Old Dec 27th 2011, 10:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I remember reading in the local paper about a Belgian couple (I think) who complained about red tape holding their venture up. But they seemed happy enough otherwise.

There's a Korean business here. Someone in the family had an immigration problem and was faced with deportation. The community rallied around, campaigning in support and CIC backed down as a result.
Old Dec 27th 2011, 10:48 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

We're on the other side of the country on Vancouver Island. We have almost completed the exercise of setting up an ice cream manufacturing facility. We have found everybody to be hugely supportive and enthusiastic. Like the Aviator said, if you come here to replicate the UK I would imagine you will annoy "the locals". We have found that there are quite a few hoops to jump through when starting up a new venture, but with the right advice I don't think it is vastly different to the UK.
Old Dec 27th 2011, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

this is in rural manitoba .....we recon we will always be the scottish family to the folk in the village,,,,as one o the old guys in the village came over in the 50s and still is called the irishman by some o the old ones
accepted by the locals ?? ,think we are accepted by and large but as we dont speak french some o old generation dont like it when i ask them to speak in english when on the 2way radio at work..
Old Dec 28th 2011, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
So long as you don't complain about the price of cheese, how much better things were 'back home' and how behind Canada is compared to 'back home'. Don't be a whinging pom you should be fine. Oh and the standard of driving is not too great, but you'll soon adapt.
In other words, don't do what an awful lot of OPs on this site do!
Old Dec 28th 2011, 10:05 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Jon Jib - do you think you might not be accepted by the locals? The funny thing is it has never occurred to me that I might not be accepted in Canada. Admittedly, I married a Canadian, but now you have me wondering. Vast armies of French nationals hate both me and my family - and that's just because I'm British - but I also have some great friends too, because I'm me! Do lots of Canadians not like the British? I am, possibly wrongly, really looking forward to living in Fredericton, as it seems such a friendly and inclusive place - our son is desperate for the end of the school year, so that he can start school there too.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

puggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nice

I dont think you should worry I live and work in a very french community and apart from the odd person now and then who wants to press the bilingual aspect I get along fine it does make me laugh though as the french here is half french and half english anyway and having lived in france prior it dosent sound too much like the french ive known before !! my kids now speak french and funny french as they call it and get along fine I dont think you need to worry so much about the frenchness in fredericton anyway there are a lot of english speakers there my neighbours are from fredericton since birth and they dont speak french at all ! good luck in your new venture let us know what its going to be so we can come along and have a nosey once your up and running
Old Dec 28th 2011, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
So long as you don't complain about the price of cheese, how much better things were 'back home' and how behind Canada is compared to 'back home'. Don't be a whinging pom you should be fine.
This is probably the best piece of advice you'll receive. It's important to have a positive attitude and the determination to make things work out - not just expect them to work out for you. You're going to like and dislike some things about Canada - just as you like and dislike some things about the old country. Don't be worrying about whether something is better or not - just embrace the fact that things are different in a different country.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 3:04 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Adopt. Adapt. Assimilate.

And, as others have said, forget the "We don't do it like that in the old country".

It's worked for me since 1969.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 3:06 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I've found that if you are overly nice, don't disagree with what they say, pay many many compliments and don't try and show how your foreign work ethics and experience are better you'll be just fine.

You are a foreigner after all and no-one likes a newbie know it all breezing in.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

JonJib is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks to you all for the feedback - it's much appreciated.

I figured the "when in Rome..." approach would be the way to go, but am grateful for the confirmation.

MillieF, I'm not concerned about "not being accepted", and apologise if this has worried you. As my wife and I talk through the pro's and con's of moving over, these little things crop up, so I like to tap into the experience of the collective. It only cropped up as we talked about how such an issue, if it arose, might impact on setting up a business, that's all.

Thank you all again.

Jon

PS - have to say the views expressed in the "Canniverary" section, under the
"4.5 years in and bust" thread, caused a bit of a wobble, but we're through that now!

Last edited by JonJib; Dec 28th 2011 at 4:56 pm. Reason: quoted incorrect section
Old Dec 28th 2011, 7:21 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

PS - have to say the views expressed in the "Canniverary" section, under the
"4.5 years in and bust" thread, caused a bit of a wobble, but we're through that now!
To me, the telling part of that thread was where the OP said he was much better off in the UK where he had contacts who could find him work. If your business requires contacts then you really have to make the effort to get out and make them PDQ. You have a few months to build up a contact list that competes with a local who has spent years accumulating theirs. It might seem unfair, but human nature is such that when times get tough people circle thier wagons.

Here in BC I have not had any problems with born and bred Canadians not wanting to do business with me becasue I am an immigrant. It is also very true that no one beats a path to my door just because I was born in the UK.

As always, referrals are the best way to get new customers. This is even more important here than in the UK as much business seems to get done on a personal level rather than purely on the basis of product and price.
Old Dec 28th 2011, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

I became aware very quickly in our part of Canada, that networking and referrals are commonplace, compared to how we do/did things back in the UK.

As far as integrating with Canadians, it sounds like an old script, but just be yourself. Don't try too hard to become like the locals, but on the flip side, don't talk about "back in the UK!" in every second sentence. There are many cultural differences in Canada, but some days you will be pleasantly surprised when you discover the similarities that you weren't aware of. I always hear that Canada embraces other cultures, so when there are days when you feel like an outsider, keep that in mind.

Back in the day, I was also hit with phrases like "Canada is 10 years behind the UK" ... "they don't have ...., they don't have...." ... "it's very cold over there!!" ... bla bla bla, but you soon discover what's accurate assessments and what is clearly a bag of bull!!!

All the best.
Old Dec 29th 2011, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

I don't think any of my neighbours here in Toronto were born in Canada either. I am more of an outsider in this neighbourhood because I am not Italian or Portuguese, as opposed to Canadian.