Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Academic Transcript Scores. I am not an idiot.

Academic Transcript Scores. I am not an idiot.

Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Academic Transcript Scores. I am not an idiot.

Originally Posted by youngmimesofharlem
Thanks for all the replies.

Sorry i should explain; I don't mean that N.American Universities are below standard but rather that an 'exceptional' mark in a N. American university is 90-99, whereas in a British University you'd be chuffed to bits to get a 70.

I have to present my transcript as part of a selection process for a non-academic scientific post. I don't want them to look at it, compare the marks to an equivalently qualified Canadian, and think my marks are rubbish because they're lower.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience and what they did?
I had to have my qualifications assessed by WES so they could compare the standard to a Canadian equivalent. My BSc(Hons) was assessed as being the same as a Bachelor's level here. Even though I know that my degree from the UK was a helluva lot harder to obtain than the Canadian equivalent (I know as I assess students here), its a case of suck it up - at the end of the day, its just about getting a job!
Old Jan 8th 2010, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

youngmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iaink
LOL, only a new graduate cares what they were graded at. In the real world of employment its work experience that matters.
I graduated some years ago but work in what might be termed 'high science' and my transcript has been required before here and in Britain.

So LOL on that.

Also, i'm not suggesting that N. American university courses are easier but that the grading schemes are more expansive.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 7:57 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by youngmimesofharlem
I graduated some years ago but work in what might be termed 'high science' and my transcript has been required before here and in Britain.

So LOL on that.

Also, i'm not suggesting that N. American university courses are easier but that the grading schemes are more expansive.
But North American (or at least Canadian) Universities recognize this fact and are also not idiots.

I can't speak for the private sector.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

What always confused me about University marking (for my degree anyway) is that the professor (et al) giving the lectures on a particular element of the degree would also set the exam and mark it. Always seemed a conflict of interest to me...

Sorry, thread drift.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 9:12 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodgerx
What always confused me about University marking (for my degree anyway) is that the professor (et al) giving the lectures on a particular element of the degree would also set the exam and mark it. Always seemed a conflict of interest to me...

Sorry, thread drift.
That's a thought provoking comment. Why a conflict of interest though?
Old Jan 8th 2010, 9:19 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I don't think there is one. Besides isn't second marking supposed to weed out any bias.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Well, it struck me that on a few of my degree 'units' that lecturers struggled with the students on a lot of topics, to be clear, most students just weren't grasping the concepts necessary to get the questions correct that lecturers had obviously planned in the exams.

Towards the end of the units, it became obvious that the lecturers were basically either heavily hinting that a particular question would be in an exam, or dropping answers to questions that were to all intents and purposes the actual exam answers.

If you had a class full of losers, what would it look like if every single one failed? Or if they were all fantastic, what would it look like if they all got excellent results? I'm not sure where accountability lies in a university, but it just didn't seem right to me.

Just my personal experience. And, by the way, this was one of the UK's more well respected Universities...
Old Jan 8th 2010, 9:29 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I don't think there is one. Besides isn't second marking supposed to weed out any bias.
When it's used, yes. That helps in big (1st & 2nd year classes) where the marking is done by grad students rather than professors. It's easy enough to adjust the sample means among groups marked by different markers.

I tend to do my own marking because I only teach to 3rd year and above, so that class sizes are smaller (typically 50-100). It's less work on balance to do it myself rather than check markers' abilities as well as the stoodents'.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 9:32 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it struck me that on a few of my degree 'units' that lecturers struggled with the students on a lot of topics, to be clear, most students just weren't grasping the concepts necessary to get the questions correct that lecturers had obviously planned in the exams.

Towards the end of the units, it became obvious that the lecturers were basically either heavily hinting that a particular question would be in an exam, or dropping answers to questions that were to all intents and purposes the actual exam answers.

If you had a class full of losers, what would it look like if every single one failed? Or if they were all fantastic, what would it look like if they all got excellent results? I'm not sure where accountability lies in a university, but it just didn't seem right to me.

Just my personal experience. And, by the way, this was one of the UK's more well respected Universities...
My exams were all scaled. Can't remember how they did it was exactly, but it wasn't as simple as normalization as some exams only had a few people doing them. My number theory exam only had 4 of us doing it.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 9:33 pm

When it's used, yes. That helps in big (1st & 2nd year classes) where the marking is done by grad students rather than professors. It's easy enough to adjust the sample means among groups marked by different markers.

I tend to do my own marking because I only teach to 3rd year and above, so that class sizes are smaller (typically 50-100). It's less work on balance to do it myself rather than check markers' abilities as well as the stoodents'.
The people I know in UK unis all mark their own work, and then a percentage is marked again by someone else. I think all the firsts, thirds, and any border-line cases were also second marked (I may be wrong though)
Old Jan 8th 2010, 9:38 pm
Born again atheist

Well, it's an interesting topic, but hypothetical I think.

I've never had a class full of losers or a class full of fantastic students. In my experience the class average doesn't vary much at all year over year. Losers and great students for sure, but mostly mediocre of various hues.

If it were to happen (lots of F's or lots of A's) we have to file an Anomalous Grade Report with a justification for the distribution.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 9:40 pm
Born again atheist

The people I know in UK unis all mark their own work, and then a percentage is marked again by someone else. I think all the firsts, thirds, and any border-line cases were also second marked (I may be wrong though)
Fair enough. The system here is a bit different. We have a departmental grade ratification meeting at which borderline cases in each course are discussed by all the faculty.

Mostly a waste of time, but you gotta be accountable.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 9:43 pm
Born again atheist

My exams were all scaled. Can't remember how they did it was exactly, but it wasn't as simple as normalization as some exams only had a few people doing them. My number theory exam only had 4 of us doing it.
We have a let out clause for the small class scenario. Recognizing that statistics don't apply to small numbers, any class of less than 15 is exempt.

Surely you learned that in your number theory class?
Old Jan 8th 2010, 9:48 pm

We have a let out clause for the small class scenario. Recognizing that statistics don't apply to small numbers, any class of less than 15 is exempt.

Surely you learned that in your number theory class?
I know that my number theory exam marks were adjusted downwards despite the fact there weren't many of us doing it. Anyway number theory isn't stats - and sadly I had to google what it actually is cos I'd forgotten.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well, it's an interesting topic, but hypothetical I think.

I've never had a class full of losers or a class full of fantastic students. In my experience the class average doesn't vary much at all year over year. Losers and great students for sure, but mostly mediocre of various hues.

If it were to happen (lots of F's or lots of A's) we have to file an Anomalous Grade Report with a justification for the distribution.
Fair enough. I would of thought there would be checks and balances somewhere. There did appear to be an element of desperation in the actions of these lecturers though - as if there was some pressure being applied.

Last edited by bodgerx; Jan 8th 2010 at 9:56 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.