Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Abscent Parent Permission Letter

Abscent Parent Permission Letter

Old Feb 25th 2010, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

castra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nice
Default Re: Abscent Parent Permission Letter

I may be going against the grain of this threads theme, but imo, the UK system whereas a parent with custody can uproot children against the wishes of an absent parent is very wrong. If the absent parent is one that takes no part or indeed helps pay for his absent childrens upbringing, that is a different matter.

The Canadian requirement requiring a letter/permission from an absent parent has been debated many times on this forum. Despite the quirks & inconsistencies of the Canadian system, the absent parent is protected from having his/her offspring removed from the country or even Province on a long term basis against their wishes. If a parent with custody moves a certain distance away from the absent parent in Canada, I believe the parent with custody is responsible for the absent parents travelling expenses every two weeks. (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong?)

In the UK though, the rights of the absent parent are often ridden roughshod over it would appear. A friend of mine has recently spent thousands in the UK Court system as his ex wife wanted to remove their daughter to Dubai in order for her to shack up with her new 'partner'. He played a full part in his daughters upbringing & she was resident with her Dad for more than the mandatory 2nd weekend visit. He was no deadbeat Dad. Luckily for him, his ex couldn't continue to finance the case & it's been dropped for the time being.

No decent parent should be forced to go through that situation. Not to mention being almost forced to financial ruin. On the face of things, a situation that wouldn't happen in Canada.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by castra
I may be going against the grain of this threads theme, but imo, the UK system whereas a parent with custody can uproot children against the wishes of an absent parent is very wrong. If the absent parent is one that takes no part or indeed helps pay for his absent childrens upbringing, that is a different matter.

The Canadian requirement requiring a letter/permission from an absent parent has been debated many times on this forum. Despite the quirks & inconsistencies of the Canadian system, the absent parent is protected from having his/her offspring removed from the country or even Province on a long term basis against their wishes. If a parent with custody moves a certain distance away from the absent parent in Canada, I believe the parent with custody is responsible for the absent parents travelling expenses every two weeks. (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong?)

In the UK though, the rights of the absent parent are often ridden roughshod over it would appear. A friend of mine has recently spent thousands in the UK Court system as his ex wife wanted to remove their daughter to Dubai in order for her to shack up with her new 'partner'. He played a full part in his daughters upbringing & she was resident with her Dad for more than the mandatory 2nd weekend visit. He was no deadbeat Dad. Luckily for him, his ex couldn't continue to finance the case & it's been dropped for the time being.

No decent parent should be forced to go through that situation. Not to mention being almost forced to financial ruin. On the face of things, a situation that wouldn't happen in Canada.
You are confusing two very different issues. The parent with whom the child resides cannot just up sticks and leave the jurisdiction with the child. That would be breaking the law in Canada or the UK. The example you gave shows what needs to be done. The borders of Provinces are not patrolled so, in theory, a parent could easily relocate to another Province and take the child with them.

IMVHO a letter proves nothing. They can easily be forged. Such a document for travel is not, to my knowledge, required when travelling throughout Europe, whose borders are easier to cross than the Canadian/US one.

Your suggestion that it wouldn't happen in Canada is incorrect. One parent could apply to the Court for permission to remove from the jurisdiction and the costs involved could be ruinous. The same situation applies in the UK and Canada. Canada requires a letter when taking children on vacation. It may be a good thing, it may not. A parent that really wishes to remove a child will do so.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Feb 25th 2010 at 10:54 am.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

KeithSonja will become famous soon enoughKeithSonja will become famous soon enough

I feel that i have to point out a few things....

I am not trying to move to Canada just to annoy my ex of tear him apart from his children!! We want to move because the move with offer our family a much great improved lifestyle which equals a happy family!!

My ex husband is the biological father to 5 kids by 3 different women, he is always dodging the CSA and hasnt paid me or the other mums for over a year and owes me thousands in back maintenance! He doesnt see 2 of the 5 kids at all, one of those children being my eldest! We have gone through hell and back with my eldest - I wont go into deals but we had to report him / his family for child abuse (not of a sexual nature) my daughter had night terrors, panic attacks and had to have counselling for a year, she lost alot of weight and was under medical care due to the stress! All this a 8 years old!!

She has not seen him now for almost 4 years and she has turned a corner, she is a happy normal bright girl with a lot to look forward too in life!!

My youngest still has limited contact - solicitors agreed 7 hours once a month and that is it (I couldnt do anything about it)

The only reason that my ex will refuse to agree to us moving to Canada will be because he hates me and will do anything that he thinks will upset / annoy me - He has no consideration for any of his children!

I would hate for anyone to think that i was tearing my children away from a loving father, but in our case, that is not the case!!
Old Feb 26th 2010, 1:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KeithSonja
My youngest still has limited contact - solicitors agreed 7 hours once a month and that is it (I couldnt do anything about it)
Sorry, I can't let this go without comment. What do you mean you couldn't do anything about it? Are you seriously suggesting that your solicitor did not have your authority to agree to this and that s/he simply did so as they felt it was best? If you are, then your solicitor should be reported to the Law Society and, if found to be true, s/he will be struck from the Roll. If s/he didn't, then stop using them as a scapegoat and accept that s/he did so on the basis of your instructions.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 6:32 am
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by castra

as Dorothy found out in the Wizard of Oz. all your problems can't be solved by following the yellow brick road
Old Feb 26th 2010, 6:52 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KeithSonja
I feel that i have to point out a few things....

We want to move because the move with offer our family a much great improved lifestyle which equals a happy family!!
If I were a Judge I'd want to you to be more specific and define what you mean here.