Abbotsford bc

Old Mar 30th 2015, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Tim Dart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Abbotsford bc

Hello,

I've got a job offer in Abbotsford BC. Money is ok, but not brilliant. Just wondering what it's like to live there? I've driven though it once on the way to Calgary but never stopped.

Having spent most of my Canadian Residency on the East Coast in Nova Scotia. Any insight would be appreciated?

Any cyclists / mountain bikers on here? Whats it like in that area?

Cheers
Old Mar 30th 2015, 8:28 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abbotsford bc

Originally Posted by Tim Dart
Hello,

I've got a job offer in Abbotsford BC. Money is ok, but not brilliant. Just wondering what it's like to live there? I've driven though it once on the way to Calgary but never stopped.

Having spent most of my Canadian Residency on the East Coast in Nova Scotia. Any insight would be appreciated?

Cheers
Spent a few years there. The east end of town, up on the mountain is the nicer part. I have a buddy who is an avid cyclist, he does jaunts down to Seattle and back from Abby and around the Fraser Valley.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Aviator. I'm out of love with the Maritimes at present. Would you mind if I asked why you left?
Old Mar 30th 2015, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

In terms of cycling, Abbotsford itself it pretty flat (apart from Sumas Mountain), so it is good for road cycling. I'm not sure what Sumas is like for mountain biking, but a few miles north you are in to Mission and the mountains and there are some good areas out towards Cultus Lake. You could bike on pretty much flat roads all the way to the coast.

There is a diverse ethnic mix in Abbotsford, with 23% of the population of South Asian origin. Abbotsford has the oldest Sikh Temple in North America and it is a National Historic Site. It is also the main Bible Belt city, with many Mennonites in the population.

What is you budget and requirement for housing?

Abbotsford is cheaper than any residential area to the West and more expensive than any to the East. About 10% cheaper than Langley and about 20% more expensive than Chilliwack and 10% more than Mission, I would say.

Sumas Mountain/Whatcom and Pepin Brook (SW of Mt Lehman) are the nicest areas to live. The downtown core would be at the other end of the list...

Last edited by withabix; Mar 30th 2015 at 8:42 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

I'm just going to rent really. I've already checked out the property prices and it's as expensive as I imagined it would be and thanks to the divorce from the wife out of my price range. I was going to use it as a stepping stone to moving out west. It's only a one year contract with the possibility of extension.

I was wondering what it was like there? Busy, sleepy town, a hell hole?
Old Mar 30th 2015, 8:56 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

it's religious-er out there. more conservative, more christian, more sikh. are you conservative and religious? it'll help.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 9:02 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering what it was like there? Busy, sleepy town, a hell hole?
I would say neither. It is not a bad place to live, I would take it over anywhere further west anyday. Rents are lower than closer into Vancouver. Chilliwack is 20 minutes drive from Abby and rents are cheaper still. It is an easy drive to Abby, we have employees who come the other way, from Abbotsford to Chilliwack.

Abbotsford is a lot busier than it was 20 years ago, we wanted somewhere more rural. Moved up to Ryder Lake. Still an easy drive to the border, to YXX and Vancouver should it be necessary.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

chrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Cheers
yep I wouldn't stop if i was driving through there either...

Known as the bible bashing and murder capital of Canada........ most of the "bikers" you see out that way will be hells angels! and are likely best avoided!
Old Mar 30th 2015, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisro55

Known as the murder capital of Canada........ most of the "bikers" you see out that way will be hells angels! and are likely best avoided!
The 'murder capital' depends on where the gang war happens to be in a particular year. The resulting Darwinism produces natural gang control.

I think Surrey is probably winning hands down for 2015 gun crime and murder rates at the moment.

I haven't seen many 'Angels in the last 12 months either. They probably all live in Kelowna now....or Langley/Surrey.

Last edited by withabix; Mar 30th 2015 at 9:51 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Maybe it's worth giving this one a miss then. Sounds a bit weird there.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 9:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Abbotsford isn't horrible and a decent place for families for the most part, but it's pretty dang boring. Not much excitement out that way.

It is a bit too conservative for my liking though and one reason I moved.

If your looking for quiet suburban lifestyle it's not a bad place, if your more into urban lifestyle it's not your type of city.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 9:30 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

IMO Abbotsford is a meh town in a magnificent setting. But, outside of Metro Vancouver/Capital Region you can say that about most places in BC. Follow the advice above about where to live and you will be fine for a year. Plenty of time for a look around to see if you like it out here.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 9:34 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it's worth giving this one a miss then. Sounds a bit weird there.
You have to see for yourself. You can't live your life around a few throwaway comments.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

chrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
The 'murder capital' depends on where the gang war happens to be in a particular year. The resulting Darwinism produces natural gang control.

I think Surrey is probably winning hands down for 2015 gum crime and murder rates at the moment.

I haven't seen many 'Angels in the last 12 months either. They probably all live in Kelowna now....or Langley/Surrey.
Undoubtedly Surrey is “winning” this year already!

Great when you hear that all of the stabbing and shooting “victims” are “refusing to co-operate with the police”….perhaps the hospitals should “refuse to co-operate” with this section of the community, and let Darwinism prevail.
Old Mar 30th 2015, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by chrisro55
most of the "bikers" you see out that way will be hells angels! and are likely best avoided!
They are?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.