abbotsford

Old Mar 1st 2007, 8:45 pm
  #46  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 40
pat12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: abbotsford

Hi all,

Just wanted to add a comment on my opinion on Abbotsford. I am currently working here (shall be returning to London later this year). Coming from London it has been an immense culture shock. It's known as the Bible belt of Canada as there are more churches here than anywhere else. Being a GP I was amazed to discover from young female patients what drivel has been poured down their throats by other GPs in this town (generally older and male). The hospital here is also shockingly bad! Despite the religious extremism, this place has a very high teenage pregnancy rate! I chose not to live here for various reasons but I have heard (mainly from out of town patients who have moved here) that the locals are not always readily accepting of outsiders. All the new GPs who have come into Abbotsford over the last couple of years are foreign trained as young Canadian trained doctors just won't come here!

In some ways it reminds me of Stepford...I also have found it to be racially segregated, even amongst the younger generation, something I am unaccustomed to from London.

I cannot comment on schools etc., but I wouldn't choose to live here even if I had a family.

These are just my honest opinions (before people start jumping down my throat!)
pat12 is offline  
Old Mar 1st 2007, 8:52 pm
  #47  
Moderαtor Emeritus
 
iaink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Upstate South Carolina
Posts: 30,760
iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: abbotsford

Originally Posted by m_pather View Post
Despite the religious extremism, this place has a very high teenage pregnancy rate!
Despite, or because of?

Abbortsford is not unique in canada for having a high teen pregnancy rate, but then there is nothing new about that coming from the UK either.
iaink is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 3:30 am
  #48  
mañana is my busiest day
 
oceanMDX's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Posts: 2,636
oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: abbotsford

Originally Posted by m_pather View Post
Hi all,

Just wanted to add a comment on my opinion on Abbotsford. I am currently working here (shall be returning to London later this year). Coming from London it has been an immense culture shock. It's known as the Bible belt of Canada as there are more churches here than anywhere else. Being a GP I was amazed to discover from young female patients what drivel has been poured down their throats by other GPs in this town (generally older and male). The hospital here is also shockingly bad! Despite the religious extremism, this place has a very high teenage pregnancy rate! I chose not to live here for various reasons but I have heard (mainly from out of town patients who have moved here) that the locals are not always readily accepting of outsiders. All the new GPs who have come into Abbotsford over the last couple of years are foreign trained as young Canadian trained doctors just won't come here!



In some ways it reminds me of Stepford...I also have found it to be racially segregated, even amongst the younger generation, something I am unaccustomed to from London.

I cannot comment on schools etc., but I wouldn't choose to live here even if I had a family.

These are just my honest opinions (before people start jumping down my throat!)
.... but how is the construction on Abbotsford's new hospital progressing?
oceanMDX is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 2:55 pm
  #49  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 40
pat12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: abbotsford

Originally Posted by oceanMDX View Post
.... but how is the construction on Abbotsford's new hospital progressing?
If the same people are working in the new hosp which I think will be the case(no matter how fancy the building is) there will be no difference in the quality of care...
pat12 is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 2:59 pm
  #50  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 40
pat12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: abbotsford

Originally Posted by iaink View Post
Despite, or because of?

Abbortsford is not unique in canada for having a high teen pregnancy rate, but then there is nothing new about that coming from the UK either.
Abbotsford is known for having a higher teenage pregnancy rate than many other places in BC. In the UK many girls are falling pregnant to milk the system...benefits, free housing etc. A lot of them know exactly what they're doing and are encouraged by their mothers. Here it's because of ignorance (I was told that sex education is not allowed in some schools in Abbotsford - is this the 18th century/Saudi Arabia??) and young girls are being denied birth control by their docs because "they will not go to heaven if they have sex before marriage"!!!
pat12 is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 5:50 pm
  #51  
Banned
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Beautiful BC
Posts: 1,106
startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: abbotsford

Originally Posted by m_pather View Post
If the same people are working in the new hosp which I think will be the case(no matter how fancy the building is) there will be no difference in the quality of care...
I get the feeling you have a bit of an ax to grind. Something else going on here. I don't live in Abbotsford, but I know a lot of people who do, and are very happy there. And it definitely is not 53% Asian, whoever gave that figure is way out. But even if it was, so what? The only issue I have with Abbotsford is the urban sprawl that is happening and the disappearing farmland.
startwin is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 8:46 pm
  #52  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 40
pat12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: abbotsford

Originally Posted by startwin View Post
I get the feeling you have a bit of an ax to grind. Something else going on here. I don't live in Abbotsford, but I know a lot of people who do, and are very happy there. And it definitely is not 53% Asian, whoever gave that figure is way out. But even if it was, so what? The only issue I have with Abbotsford is the urban sprawl that is happening and the disappearing farmland.

No axe to grind...I am speaking from the perspective of being a doctor who has worked in several hospitals in London and Cape Town, South Africa, so I believe that puts me in a good position to make comparisons. The general standard of nursing is far lower than anything I have encountered before. Arriving on the ward on a Monday morning and asking the nurse designated to look after my patient "how was Mr./Mrs.X over the weekend" and to be informed that "I did not work this weekend/just came on shift/am going on teabreak" is unacceptable. Asking clinical questions and being met with a blank expression is also something I am unaccustomed to. Having clinical orders ignored quite frankly puts patients lives at risk! Most of the GPs here have similar stories to tell. Patients themselves have several horror stories relating to this place. It's just that unlike the UK public, Canadians are too reserved to report their complaints to a newspaper which I have advised them to do. This is not the forum for discussion of healthcare in Canada but I mentioned the hospital as I felt it my duty to do so since the person who started the thread wanted general info about Abbotsford.
pat12 is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 11:12 pm
  #53  
Banned
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Beautiful BC
Posts: 1,106
startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: abbotsford

Originally Posted by pat12 View Post
No axe to grind...I am speaking from the perspective of being a doctor who has worked in several hospitals in London and Cape Town, South Africa, so I believe that puts me in a good position to make comparisons. The general standard of nursing is far lower than anything I have encountered before. Arriving on the ward on a Monday morning and asking the nurse designated to look after my patient "how was Mr./Mrs.X over the weekend" and to be informed that "I did not work this weekend/just came on shift/am going on teabreak" is unacceptable. Asking clinical questions and being met with a blank expression is also something I am unaccustomed to. Having clinical orders ignored quite frankly puts patients lives at risk! Most of the GPs here have similar stories to tell. Patients themselves have several horror stories relating to this place. It's just that unlike the UK public, Canadians are too reserved to report their complaints to a newspaper which I have advised them to do. This is not the forum for discussion of healthcare in Canada but I mentioned the hospital as I felt it my duty to do so since the person who started the thread wanted general info about Abbotsford.
Ah, on the subject of health care you certainly do have a point, our health care is going down the toilet. But so is the health care in the UK. I have a very up-close and personal recent experience of health care in the UK, just a few months ago, when I had the misfortune to require hospitilization in a major city hospital there. A teaching hospital. Frankly, there's not much to choose between the two countries, but I must say our doctors are much more communicative than back there, with the patients. BC in particular has some major issues and unfortunately our provincial government is is hell-bent on following the UK lead on many health care aspects, unfortunately the privatisation of cleaning amongst them. It was never that good before, now it's a despicable. I have a good friend here who is a physiotherapist and came out from the UK last summer to work here. She feels that we are streets ahead in many ways, especially with deplorable wait lists. But we digress, I still don't think Abbotsford deserves the bashing you've given it.
startwin is offline  
Old Mar 2nd 2007, 11:28 pm
  #54  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 40
pat12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: abbotsford

Originally Posted by startwin View Post
Ah, on the subject of health care you certainly do have a point, our health care is going down the toilet. But so is the health care in the UK. I have a very up-close and personal recent experience of health care in the UK, just a few months ago, when I had the misfortune to require hospitilization in a major city hospital there. A teaching hospital. Frankly, there's not much to choose between the two countries, but I must say our doctors are much more communicative than back there, with the patients. BC in particular has some major issues and unfortunately our provincial government is is hell-bent on following the UK lead on many health care aspects, unfortunately the privatisation of cleaning amongst them. It was never that good before, now it's a despicable. I have a good friend here who is a physiotherapist and came out from the UK last summer to work here. She feels that we are streets ahead in many ways, especially with deplorable wait lists. But we digress, I still don't think Abbotsford deserves the bashing you've given it.
I am not "bashing" Abbotsford as you put it. It maybe a wonderful place to you but it certainly is not to me, neither is Vancouver hence my decision to return to London ie home. I am simply stating my opinions which is what discussion forums are for. If people expressing different opinions to you offends you, you have clearly become "Canadianised"!
pat12 is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 4:35 am
  #55  
Banned
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Beautiful BC
Posts: 1,106
startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: abbotsford

Originally Posted by pat12 View Post
I am not "bashing" Abbotsford as you put it. It maybe a wonderful place to you but it certainly is not to me, neither is Vancouver hence my decision to return to London ie home. I am simply stating my opinions which is what discussion forums are for. If people expressing different opinions to you offends you, you have clearly become "Canadianised"!
I'm certainly not offended, thought we were each stating an opinion. So you believe that Canadians take offence at differing opinions? I can understand why you have decided to return to London.
startwin is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 5:51 am
  #56  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: West End Vancouver
Posts: 292
Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice
Default Re: abbotsford

Originally Posted by startwin View Post
I'm certainly not offended, thought we were each stating an opinion. So you believe that Canadians take offence at differing opinions? I can understand why you have decided to return to London.
To be fair to the geezer, if you are used to London life Abbotsford/ Fraser valley is a huge culture shock.
You cant even compare the city of Vancouver to London as its a large town, let alone the rather soulless burbs.
Anyone who loves London life would be hard pushed to find anywhere in the Lower Mainland that would be a close substitute.
Hudman is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 3:40 pm
  #57  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 40
pat12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: abbotsford

Originally Posted by startwin View Post
I'm certainly not offended, thought we were each stating an opinion. So you believe that Canadians take offence at differing opinions? I can understand why you have decided to return to London.
I didn't come here as an immigrant in the first place but on a work permit to broaden my horizons and gain a different work perspective since my profession allows me to work practically anywhere in the world. So it was always my intention to return home. Being in Vancouver/Abbotsford has only made me hasten my departure, which likely wouldn't be the case if I had gone to eg New York. It is true that Canadians take offence easily, have you ever seen a Vancouverite's reaction when their precious town is even remotely criticised? Heaven forbid if someone tells them that Toronto is superior!(which it is in many ways IMO). I am not the only person to find Canadians narrow minded, many posters on this forum have stated the same...
pat12 is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 3:41 pm
  #58  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 40
pat12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: abbotsford

Originally Posted by Hudman View Post
To be fair to the geezer, if you are used to London life Abbotsford/ Fraser valley is a huge culture shock.
You cant even compare the city of Vancouver to London as its a large town, let alone the rather soulless burbs.
Anyone who loves London life would be hard pushed to find anywhere in the Lower Mainland that would be a close substitute.
Not a geezer mate, I'm a female!
pat12 is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 5:12 pm
  #59  
Banned
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Beautiful BC
Posts: 1,106
startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: abbotsford

Originally Posted by pat12 View Post
I didn't come here as an immigrant in the first place but on a work permit to broaden my horizons and gain a different work perspective since my profession allows me to work practically anywhere in the world. So it was always my intention to return home. Being in Vancouver/Abbotsford has only made me hasten my departure, which likely wouldn't be the case if I had gone to eg New York. It is true that Canadians take offence easily, have you ever seen a Vancouverite's reaction when their precious town is even remotely criticised? Heaven forbid if someone tells them that Toronto is superior!(which it is in many ways IMO). I am not the only person to find Canadians narrow minded, many posters on this forum have stated the same...
After reading all you've had to say, I'm just glad your not MY doctor. You obviously made a wrong decision and should go to one of the many places your profession allows you to work in. I think you're a bit high on yourself, yet unlike many professional doctors you have a lot of time to spend here.
startwin is offline  
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 5:48 pm
  #60  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Biiiiink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Windsor, ON; Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,713
Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: abbotsford

Originally Posted by startwin View Post
yet unlike many professional doctors you have a lot of time to spend here.
Joined Jun 2005 - 31 posts to date? That doesn't sound like much free time to me
Biiiiink is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.