abbotsford

Old Feb 26th 2007, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: abbotsford

Originally Posted by Rich_007
I have witnessed 'da yoots' on both sides of the big water.

Canada: education designed to develop fully rounded young people, small adults prepared for later life, able to understand others views, listen and learn. Young adults can interact with real adults, conduct a conversation, make a contribution. Focus on activity, see the little ones outside in snow and bitter cold having run, running about, playing games. Politeness and civility is bred into them at influential ages. A kind of 'slow-burn' education designed to develop people, not consumers. Values which recognize people more than just their house/car/job status/salary/postal code, value the world around us.

UK: Focus on boffin-training, cram as much information into these little organic computers as possible. Develop children into self centred little "me-me-beings". Kids often grunt, produce monosyllabic answers, avoid adult company at all times. Breed into them that they are all important, to ignore others at all costs and that violence, brutality, selfishnes, always gets you what you want. Teach kids to make most noise = greater success in life. An education designed to create 'consumers', create generations of perfect little drones for entry into 'industry' to make noise, succeed in a self-centred manner. All or nothing, make it big or you're worth nothing attitude.

Of course, there are plenty of Paris/Britney types here, dumb as dishwater with purrfect teeth bright as the sun, and plenty grouchy sullen goth yoots. Day to day though, there's a marked difference in manners, ability to conduct a conversation, and overall attitude, between UK and Canada yoots.

Rich.
I really think education is a personal subject. What I want for my children isn't necessarily what you want for yours. I feel that by sending them to school here, I have let them down. I have been selfish by living out my dream and letting them suffer. Hopefully I can get them back up to the correct standard when we go back to England.

I just wanted to let people know that it doesn't always work out!
Old Feb 26th 2007, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The Vancouver Suburbs... for the next few years anyway!
The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of

Hi OP - not sure if this helps but I grew up around Abbotsford and also lived there during College (UCFV). It, like many other places, has good parts and bad but there are a lot of activities and facilities for kids. My nephew started school there and had very good teachers and class sizes.

My biggest question would be what do you want out of life there? Abbotsford is quite a ways out of Vancouver and everything it has to offer - if you want to partake more in those things perhaps look towards Langley?

I think asking why some kids excel and others falter within specific schools often has very little to do with just one thing. I hated my high school but have friends who loved it - its more than just the school.

I think if you want somewhere quiet, with lovely neighbourhoods and good facilities for kids but not too close to a big city then you could be be happy in Abbotsford!
Old Feb 26th 2007, 7:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fishfinger
I really think education is a personal subject. What I want for my children isn't necessarily what you want for yours. I feel that by sending them to school here, I have let them down. I have been selfish by living out my dream and letting them suffer. Hopefully I can get them back up to the correct standard when we go back to England.

I just wanted to let people know that it doesn't always work out!
Something I don't quite follow in these arguments is that there are exams, specifically the bac, that are widely offered in schools in both the UK and Canada (as well as other countries). The bac isn't just offered in private schools so it's not so much of a purchased qualification as, say, entry to Oxford or Harvard. If we want to know which system offers the best chance for the child of an interested, but not necessarily rich, parent can we not just look at the bac results?

Similarly, lots of children in Canada take the SAT so, if we want to compare with the US, we can use that, though we have to be more careful with the SAT as only the brighter Canadians take it whereas, pretty much, all Americans do.

If objectiveish measures are wanted these are some, admittedly imperfect, ones we can use.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 1:43 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
This is some of what you stated in prior posts on this forum:

1) "I wish I had known that years of schooling and work experience would count for bugger all, I would never have come here. "

2) "I got pretty much the same treatment when I arrived 8 years ago and have had to go back to University and get another degree (which was so easy compared to my UK one) to get anywhere. I was a commodity tax consultant/fraud investigator and a qualified teacher when I came - neither qualification was recognised as the tax training was all UK government based and the PGCE was over ten years old."

You say you did your research before coming to Canada, but it's the quality of your research/critical thinking that I'm questioning.

If you want to be highly critical of the educational level of Canadians, I think you open your own abilities and decisions up for critique.

Absolutely, no problem at all. Had you quoted me completely, however, you would know that there was no point in re-qualifying in either field, as both required extensive schooling (not to mention the cost). If I was qualified to teach Canadians in the UK...how come all of a sudden I could not teach the same stuff in Canada? Ridiculous, particularly when I had a letter offering me a job doing precisely that. There was also the small matter of not being able to leave Canada with my children once I got here...hardly something that I could have influenced or anticipated, even with voluminous research. In any event, I was able to pick an entirely new career and challenge over 50% of the degree requirement. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as I am now employable everywhere, it is a transferable qualification that I am pleased to have. Every cloud has a silver lining Ocean...
Old Feb 27th 2007, 2:10 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I spend half the year in BC, and much of that time is spent about as far out of Abbotsford as where you live. It should be obvious to anyone who is familiar with Abby that Sikhs don't make up anywhere near the majority of the population. I still can't believe that you thought they did!

..... That difference explains why I post references backing my comments and you can't.

BTW, did you know that the University of British Columbia is ranked by Newsweek as the 27th best university in the world?

http://www.ubc.ca/global/index.html
Wait until the 2006 census results are published officially. As soon as I have the official link, I would be happy to post it. Answers.com (that I think you used for the 13% figure) used the 2001 adjusted census figure. That figure was disregarded by many as it does not account for the fact that many families were found to under report or simply not disclose who actually lived in their home, when those stats were compared to, for example benefit claimants and their dependants. I looked again today at the advance stats I have on my desk at work. They are used to do projections of service provider requirements. The contentious 53% is defined as "Asian". Yes I assumed Sikh, as I have yet to run into a Hindu in Abbotsford. I am still waiting as of this evening to find out if "Asian" included people from other parts of Asia or the world. I happily stand corrected if it does.

P.S. Using your link.....Times Higher Education Supplement places UBC elsewhere. It is a good University, expensive and inaccessible for the student without money.

Last edited by dingbat; Feb 27th 2007 at 2:13 am.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Can you explain why my 8 year old son's education and ability has gone downhill since he arrived in Canada 3 years ago? When we first arrived he could write joined up, read and spell correctly, now he can't spell and nobody can read what he is writing.

My 11 year old used to write stories that were 3 A4 pages long (when he was 8) and now he can barely write 1 exercise book page.

I feel I've let my kids down by moving to Canada.
When we arrived in March 05, my son went into grade 1. I was amazed at the stories his class mates were writing, back in the UK they were only just writing sentences!!!

Linda
Old Feb 27th 2007, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Linda P
When we arrived in March 05, my son went into grade 1. I was amazed at the stories his class mates were writing, back in the UK they were only just writing sentences!!!

Linda
Don't they pay teachers more money in Alberta though than BC?

Anyway all of this banter, still hasn't helped my kids, they have definitely gone backwards since being here. I'm happy to call it quits, I tried and failed them here so back home we go. I think I've made the point I wanted to make so cheerio everyone!

Last edited by fishfinger; Feb 27th 2007 at 2:49 am.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 2:52 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dingbat
If I was qualified to teach Canadians in the UK...how come all of a sudden I could not teach the same stuff in Canada?
There are doctors who were educated in Afghanistan and still practice there who are qualified to treat Canadians in that country, but those doctors can't simply set up a practice after immigrating to Canada because their education/qualifications wouldn't be accepted as being equivalent to that of a licensed doctor practicing in Canada. I'm happy to have the licensing bodies for the professions protecting the Canadian public in this way.

Now in your particular case, I'm not saying that you weren't qualified to perform your vocation after having moved to Canada. I'm simply not qualified to make that determination. Your case sounds rather unusual - if not bizarre - in that you say a "union" intervened and prevented you from taking the job you were originally offered. Did you need a license to work in your field? Just how did this "union" stop you?
Old Feb 27th 2007, 2:59 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Wait until the 2006 census results are published officially. As soon as I have the official link, I would be happy to post it. Answers.com (that I think you used for the 13% figure) used the 2001 adjusted census figure. That figure was disregarded by many as it does not account for the fact that many families were found to under report or simply not disclose who actually lived in their home, when those stats were compared to, for example benefit claimants and their dependants. I looked again today at the advance stats I have on my desk at work. They are used to do projections of service provider requirements. The contentious 53% is defined as "Asian". Yes I assumed Sikh, as I have yet to run into a Hindu in Abbotsford. I am still waiting as of this evening to find out if "Asian" included people from other parts of Asia or the world. I happily stand corrected if it does.
There is no way in hell that the majority of the population of Abbotsford is Asian.... so no need to sit on the edge of your seat waiting for the 2006 Census figures.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 3:06 am
Cynically amused.

There are doctors who were educated in Afghanistan and still practice there who are qualified to treat Canadians in that country, but those doctors can't simply set up a practice after immigrating to Canada because their education/qualifications wouldn't be accepted as being equivalent to that of a licensed doctor practicing in Canada. I'm happy to have the licensing bodies for the professions protecting the Canadian public in this way.

Now in your particular case, I'm not saying that you weren't qualified to perform your vocation after having moved to Canada. I'm simply not qualified to make that determination. Your case sounds rather unusual - if not bizarre - in that you say a "union" intervened and prevented you from taking the job you were originally offered. Did you need a license to work in your field? Just how did this "union" stop you?
My appointment was "grieved" by the person who was holding the post, as I discovered, through the Union. This would have been quite proper and not the least surprising with hindsight. The whole thing was a management
balls-up really, hardly more than that. No, I did not need a license to do the job, because it was not (and I believe still is not) a "regulated position" in the federal government. I now know how important what I considered minor details were. The equivalent union in the UK civil service was a paper tiger by comparison....
Old Feb 27th 2007, 3:14 am
mañana is my busiest day

My appointment was "grieved" by the person who was holding the post, as I discovered, through the Union. This would have been quite proper and not the least surprising with hindsight. The whole thing was a management
balls-up really, hardly more than that. No, I did not need a license to do the job, because it was not (and I believe still is not) a "regulated position" in the federal government. I now know how important what I considered minor details were. The equivalent union in the UK civil service was a paper tiger by comparison....
In other words, the idiot who offered you the job had no business to do so in the first place. I agree that what happened was terrible and that you likely should have been compensated, but I don't think that Canada, BC or Abbotsford should take the blame for your misfortune.... the idiot in management should bear the responsibility.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 3:22 am
Cynically amused.

In other words, the idiot who offered you the job had no business to do so in the first place. I agree that what happened was terrible and that you likely should have been compensated, but I don't think that Canada, BC or Abbotsford should take the blame for your misfortune.... the idiot in management should bear the responsibility.
Agreed. Is this the bit we kiss and make up?
Old Feb 27th 2007, 3:31 am
mañana is my busiest day

Agreed. Is this the bit we kiss and make up?
Okay, if your other half doesn't mind.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 4:31 am
Cynically amused.

Okay, if your other half doesn't mind.

He doesn't know about block heaters. I think you may have the edge....
Old Feb 27th 2007, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Don't they pay teachers more money in Alberta though than BC?

Anyway all of this banter, still hasn't helped my kids, they have definitely gone backwards since being here. I'm happy to call it quits, I tried and failed them here so back home we go. I think I've made the point I wanted to make so cheerio everyone!
I didn't mean it to sound like I was disagreeing with you.....we all have our own experiences.

I am really sorry you have found the school system to be so bad, as a parent we strive to give our children the best education. For us this was the main reason for moving, a better future for the children!

Linda

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.