Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Aarrrrrgggghhhhh

Aarrrrrgggghhhhh

Old Jan 24th 2005, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road
Default Aarrrrrgggghhhhh

I'm so excited I'm just bouncing around the house...guess who just got a job????
I mean bloody hell :scared:

So on Wednesday I start at the Super 8 Motel as a room cleaner then can apply as a Front Desk Clerk or the Supervisors position coming available soon. The really nice lady that hired me took me into the conference room and had a really nice, friendly relaxed convo....none of this nail pulling I experienced yet again at the Travel Lodge (at the hands of the same girl who thinks her job is rocket science!) She gave me a choice of about 4 different jobs and could I start tomorrow??? Please???? Pretty please??? I guess $7.00 per hour isn't anything to celebrate but then again it's money coming in not going out...a bonus in my book!

My thanks to all for all the advice over the last couple of years whilst I've been trying to sort out my head (amongst other things) ...funny how one thing can just make everything else fall into place....looks like I'll be in Swift Current for a while yet and I'm glad coz I quite like it here
Old Jan 24th 2005, 5:25 pm
Glaswegian

Default Re: Aarrrrrgggghhhhh

Originally Posted by Smokey
I'm so excited I'm just bouncing around the house...guess who just got a job????
Congrats ... don't worry, you'll do fine

Old Jan 24th 2005, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Congrats ... don't worry, you'll do fine
I guess if I can clean out the gents urinals/showers/traps on a Monday morning after 5 full games of hockey at home (and keep down my brekkie) this should be un morceau de gateaux!
Old Jan 24th 2005, 5:59 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats...hopefully the start of a brilliant career in the hospitality industry
Old Jan 24th 2005, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Smokey! Best of luck for your first day

Biiiiink
Old Jan 24th 2005, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations. Certainly nothing to sneeze at $7 coming in is $7 better than no money and it will go up and certainly its a step in the door. Also, its always much easier to get a job if you already have one.

How long have you been in Swift? I can't tell if you are a man or woman - I have some friends down there. He is a judge and I don't know what she does - they are super nice people and not at all "fancy". If you ever meet Les and Joanne Matsalla - say hi from me!!!
Old Jan 25th 2005, 8:27 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations
Old Jan 25th 2005, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lizwil98
Congratulations. Certainly nothing to sneeze at $7 coming in is $7 better than no money and it will go up and certainly its a step in the door. Also, its always much easier to get a job if you already have one.

How long have you been in Swift? I can't tell if you are a man or woman - I have some friends down there. He is a judge and I don't know what she does - they are super nice people and not at all "fancy". If you ever meet Les and Joanne Matsalla - say hi from me!!!
You know its funny but I was formulating a plan whilst in hospital a few weeks ago which involved a job, house, divorce, degree and not necessarily in that order. The plan was to give it another year and take out citizenship (just in case!) and move on - preferably to somewhere warm. So whilst looking at the Booster I thought oh no, here they go again...TravelLodge and Super 8 looking for staff AGAIN! As my hubby's been attached at the hip and driving me seriously nuts over the last month I thought...why not? The Travel Lodge seems to think you need to be a rocket scientist to be a receptionist but a very nice girl who remembered me from last time (!) suggested I start as a room cleaner then in a few months can apply for Front Desk bod or Front Desk Supervisor and at some point they will need an assistant manager. As the sun's come out the last couple of days, life is starting to feel a bit better.

I was just getting to the scary, daunting prospect of being a girlie totally alone in a foreign country point. I can cope with the alone bit but not if there's nothing else in place ......phew that was close!
Old Jan 25th 2005, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on your new job Smokey. Hope it goes well for you
Old Jan 25th 2005, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

The first job I took here as a 'temporary' job to get Canadian experience was for $9/hour and while it wasn't much income it was surely better than sitting at home earning $0. 2 years later and I am still working at the same place and slowly wokring my way into a better position. Nearly doubled the income and can only get better from here. So never pass up a seemingly low paying job because once the employer knows you and trusts you and sees your abilities while actually doing the job then oppertunities will present themselves. You will get to know all your work collegues and build up a 'network' and whether it is an inernal position or someone you works with knows of a different position at a friends work and can put in a good word for you (job seeking in Canada) something will turn up and you will be glad you weren't one of those people who sits at home and refuses to take any job that pays less than some mythical salary they worked out before they moved to Canada.

Drew
Old Jan 26th 2005, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

Congrats, this is good news
Old Jan 26th 2005, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wizzard
The first job I took here as a 'temporary' job to get Canadian experience was for $9/hour and while it wasn't much income it was surely better than sitting at home earning $0. 2 years later and I am still working at the same place and slowly wokring my way into a better position. Nearly doubled the income and can only get better from here. So never pass up a seemingly low paying job because once the employer knows you and trusts you and sees your abilities while actually doing the job then oppertunities will present themselves. You will get to know all your work collegues and build up a 'network' and whether it is an inernal position or someone you works with knows of a different position at a friends work and can put in a good word for you (job seeking in Canada) something will turn up and you will be glad you weren't one of those people who sits at home and refuses to take any job that pays less than some mythical salary they worked out before they moved to Canada.

Drew
Actually, if you only knew, it was one of your posts earlier that made me get of my backside. I figured if you could ...so can I...how about that???
Mind you, I ache so much after my first day of making 13 beds and cleaning assorted fridges, microwaves and toilets . Boy do I ache...only gonna get better assuming I can get out of bed tomorrow!!!!