Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Aarrgghh! I can't get any money out! please help

Aarrgghh! I can't get any money out! please help

Old Nov 14th 2007, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

hughe has a spectacular aura abouthughe has a spectacular aura abouthughe has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Aarrgghh! I can't get any money out! please help

Thanks everyone, your replies have given me a lot to think about. It seems as though I'm certainly not the only one having this problem.

I will try a few of the suggestions and let you know if I have any luck.

Thanks again

Hugh
Old Nov 14th 2007, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

cneldred will become famous soon enough

you are kidding i am with RBC and mine is showing as instantly available.

Chris
Old Nov 14th 2007, 10:05 am

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hughe
Thanks everyone, your replies have given me a lot to think about. It seems as though I'm certainly not the only one having this problem.

I will try a few of the suggestions and let you know if I have any luck.

Thanks again

Hugh
We had the same problem on our recce trip some shops would accept our credit card and some didn't and after phoning Halifax bank told everything was fine and it must be the canadian machines reading it incorrectly. In one shop the manager told us he had this problem many times and could iverride it in the shop by carrying out a "forced payment" which is what he would use with payments made online without the customer being present and that worked everytime then if we had a problem.
( we opened a canadian bank account then so we wouldn't have this problem when we go back)
Best of luck
Terese
Old Nov 14th 2007, 6:18 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

It is the chip and pin technology, Canada has yet to implement it and most ATM's do not read the new UK cards correctly. You should try RBC in branch ATM's (not the drive-through's) and you might be OK. My Canadian Visa card had to be manually processed when I went back in Jan in a couple of shops, as it was not chip and pin and my "debit" card (Interac) needs a PIN in stores, so I had to just get cash when I needed it. I was able to use my RBC bank card in most ATM machines in the UK, but the OH had huge problems with his card from another bank. He has now switched to RBC.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 7:28 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

I went back in Jan in a couple of shops, as it was not chip and pin and my "debit" card (Interac) needs a PIN in stores, so I had to just get cash when I needed it. I was able to use my RBC bank card in most ATM machines in the UK,
How much did RBC charge you for your UK transactions? I can't find this information on RBCs website. I'm planning a visit to the UK soon.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 10:38 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro
How much did RBC charge you for your UK transactions? I can't find this information on RBCs website. I'm planning a visit to the UK soon.
It depended on the amount taken out. From memory it was about $7.50 for £300 or something.