Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Aarrgghh! I can't get any money out! please help

Aarrgghh! I can't get any money out! please help

Old Nov 13th 2007, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aarrgghh! I can't get any money out! please help

Originally Posted by hughe
Hi

This is long but please bear with me. There may be an obvious answer and I may be a complete muppet but for the life of me I can't think of it.

We have been in Canada in a couple of weeks now. We brought over enough cash to tide us over but it is quickly running out. I have tried about a dozen ATMs but all of my cards are declined despite informing eveyone back home first and having substantial funds ( I had no problem on holiday 2 years ago so I can only think it is the chip and pin). I have no problem paying for anything in the shops with any of them it's just getting actual cash out. The only way I can get cash out is is to make a 50 mile round trip into Calgary and get it done over the counter(there are closer banks but my cards are visa and those banks only work with mastercards!!!!). Even this has been limited to about a couple of hundred dollars a day due to a daily limit which is no good when I have to pay rent (property management company will not accept credit cards ???). So in order to avoid several trips a week I'm having to get cash advances on my credit cards which is not ideal. It also means that I am limited to getting cash during banking hours which I am quickly learning are not as accessible as in the UK

I have rang and rang back home (UK) just to be told that there shouldn't be a problem and maybe it is just that particular machine but short of trying every single ATM in Alberta I don't know what to do. I have opened a bank account with Scotia which is aligned with Barclays (my bank back home) but it will not let me transfer funds online. I also set up an account with Hifix before I came out but I want to try to hang on before transferring my life savings until the exchange rate improves.

Do other people have this problem? I feel like I'm in the dark ages! How on earth do I get money out? maybe I have been a bit naive but I just presumed I would be able to access it as I had done on previous holidays. Barclays have said that they would do a wire transfer but it's not cheap and it takes about 4 days. I just want to go to the hole in the wall when I want - is it too much to ask?

Sorry for the rant, any ideas would be gratefully appreciated!

mant thanks
We had this problem when we arrived in August and STILL have it

We have Nationwide Visa debit cards and couldn't withdraw cash. In order to get around the problem we obtained credit cards here and have been using them instead.
When it comes to paying the credit card bill we have paid in a sterling cheque drawn on our Nationwide account - it takes a little persuasion to get the bank to accept the cheque.
Visa seems to be the underlying problem!

We keep trying to us our card for cah and it works sporadically. Yesterday it worked with an ATM that refused it in the past!

We have had to make Swift transfers due to this problem and they take a while to set up and expensive for (relatively) small amounts. We had to send the actual paperwork to the UK - they wouldn't accept fax.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest then (and for the sake of my sanity) has anyone in the Calgary area (or Banff/Canmore) got money from an ATM with a Barclays connect card that has a visa symbol and is chip and pin back home. If so, please tell me where - I am willing to travel just to see if it works!
We tried this in march and didn't seem to have success. it was odd.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 9:38 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skiboy10
We had this problem when we arrived in August and STILL have it

We have Nationwide Visa debit cards and couldn't withdraw cash.
When my MIL visits, she has a Nationwide Visa and has the same problems - often gets rejected in stores and she can't take any cash out from ATM's with it. Banks won't allow her to take cash advances over the counter either.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 9:56 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter had a problem in reverse with her debit card in the UK, she had created a five digit pin number for hers, but the UK machines would only accept a 4 digit pin. Could you be having a similar problem?
Old Nov 13th 2007, 9:59 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

We're with RBC as well and when I pay UK cheques in my account the cash is immediately available.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 11:15 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest then (and for the sake of my sanity) has anyone in the Calgary area (or Banff/Canmore) got money from an ATM with a Barclays connect card that has a visa symbol and is chip and pin back home. If so, please tell me where - I am willing to travel just to see if it works!

TDM was the only one my hubby could use in Red Deer - or maybe it was the only one he could get more than $100 from or summut. I dunno but try them!
Old Nov 13th 2007, 1:06 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

We used our Nationwide Visa debit card with no problems for some time to draw cash out (Scotiabank definitley worked). But, when we were over in June we had problems at garages paying for petrol - soemthing to do with the chip and pin the cashiers seemed to think, but they were geared up for it and used the old manual thing which imprints your card onto a slip - you might be able to find somewhere that could do this for you perhaps?
Old Nov 13th 2007, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

kosh is an unknown quantity at this point

You`re not alone, several years ago I came over for a month with my Barclays connect card. Had to the same problems in Halifax. All the main ATM machines would not accept my card, however the small ATM machines you see in the mall let me withdraw cash without a problem.

I think it`s a problem because it`s a visa debit card, which they don`t have in Canada (or not as popular) and not like their interac system. Seems many of the machines get confused because they don`t know whether it`s a basic checking debit card or a credit card. The machine doesn`t know how the treat the card.

I was fortunate because there were quite a few of these smaller ATM machines dotted around in bars and malls.

UK personal cheques at my local Credit Union have a 30 day hold.

Last edited by kosh; Nov 13th 2007 at 2:33 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud of

My bank here (RBC) cleared a UK Ā£ cheque direclty into my account for me last month on the basis that they knew me - great service, i had expected a long wait for it to clear (and it was my UK tax refund - hurray )
Old Nov 13th 2007, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

clairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant future

i bank with the HSBC and i have a solo card am i going to have the same problem there at the atm's and do the shops except this sort of card? thanks
Old Nov 13th 2007, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for your reply. I feel a trip to Banff coming on!
It would be easier to try Chinook Mall, and their cash machine (oh the one inside the airport near Tim Hortons worked also). It was something to do with a symbol missing on the back of the card so the machines read it as a credit card unless the banks are associated with visa.

If you take the car into a bank and explain your difficulity and show them the card they will tell you what banks you can use, but mainly any bank that uses visa only. Once we found out we used ATM's in Calgary city centre

Sharon
Old Nov 14th 2007, 1:35 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boxerdog03
, but mainly any bank that uses visa only.
TD Canada Trust springs to mind then as one of the larger ones to try then?

Dunno if this will help?
http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/...128BFEE2.webl7
Old Nov 14th 2007, 1:50 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iaink
TD Canada Trust springs to mind then as one of the larger ones to try then?

Dunno if this will help?
http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/...128BFEE2.webl7
I had a client who had the exact same problem, in fact they were down do their last few dollars and were in tears in my office as they could not pay me the rent that was due. I ended up lending them some money, forgetting the rent for a few days and driving them (they had no car and were in Cochrane) to TD bank where I know the bank manager. She immediately opened up an account and gave them a line of credit so they could get some money out.

If you are living, working and staying here, just open up a canadian bank account and transfer a lump sum over and then you won't have any problems.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 2:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clairemarie70
i bank with the HSBC and i have a solo card am i going to have the same problem there at the atm's and do the shops except this sort of card? thanks
Does it have the Cirrus logo? You should be able to use it in ATMs but check with your bank first. You definitely can't use it in any shops here.

Why have you got a Solo card anyway? I thought they were for teens, and were pretty problematic to use in the UK never mind abroad.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 4:29 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clairemarie70

Most probably in the shops - especially Walmart but you should be OK with ATMS - I am and have been for 2.5 years now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.