Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Aarrgghh! I can't get any money out! please help

Aarrgghh! I can't get any money out! please help

Old Nov 13th 2007, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

hughe has a spectacular aura abouthughe has a spectacular aura abouthughe has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Aarrgghh! I can't get any money out! please help

Originally Posted by iaink
My bank has a 60 working day hold on all UK cheques Thats about 3 months in the real world.
alas just when I thought the problem may have been solved (bangs head repeatedly on desk)
Old Nov 13th 2007, 7:22 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hughe
alas just when I thought the problem may have been solved (bangs head repeatedly on desk)
The only way to do it without the hold is the SWIFT transfer Im afraid.

Western Union might be OK for a cash injection from the UK, but it will cost a lot more.

Hang on....Im remembering the long hold was only on cheques over a certain level...a few hundred at least. Ask the bank about hold limits, and then write a bunch of smaller value cheques....that might work if the level they impose a hold on is high enough to be worth the effort.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

hughe has a spectacular aura abouthughe has a spectacular aura abouthughe has a spectacular aura about

The only way to do it without the hold is the SWIFT transfer Im afraid.

Western Union might be OK for a cash injection from the UK, but it will cost a lot more.

Hang on....Im remembering the long hold was only on cheques over a certain level...a few hundred at least. Ask the bank about hold limits, and then write a bunch of smaller value cheques....that might work if the level they impose a hold on is high enough to be worth the effort.
I will give anything a go at this point. I'm just wondering how other people manage to get money from ATMs!

thanks for all your help
Old Nov 13th 2007, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

DaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of light

You must be able to do a smaller internet transfer (10K GBP max per day) from your UK account to the UK account of hifx (moneycorps or VBCE) and then get them to convert it to CAD & place in your Canadian account. There may be a charge somewhere here.
Helen
Old Nov 13th 2007, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest then (and for the sake of my sanity) has anyone in the Calgary area (or Banff/Canmore) got money from an ATM with a Barclays connect card that has a visa symbol and is chip and pin back home. If so, please tell me where - I am willing to travel just to see if it works!
We had this problem in Sept.

You have to use a bank with the visa sign (can't remember whick bank we ended up using) or your card reads like a credit card. With barclays connect you can withdraw cash from Chinook Mall atm in entrance or in Banff you can withdraw cash from the curency exchange place in the mall.

Hope this helps

Sharon
Old Nov 13th 2007, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

calgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nicecalgary2006 is just really nice

I will give anything a go at this point. I'm just wondering how other people manage to get money from ATMs!

thanks for all your help
My MIL banks with Barclays and she was told they have a reciprocal agreement with CIBC - she withdraws from the ATM with no problems when she is here. Have you tried them yet?
Old Nov 13th 2007, 8:13 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

My bank has a 60 working day hold on all UK cheques Thats about 3 months in the real world.
We are fortunate with our bank (RBC), they don't put any hold on and funds available immediately.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 8:25 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
We are fortunate with our bank (RBC), they don't put any hold on and funds available immediately.
Non US / Canadian ones? lucky you. Thats most unusual. Less than $500 ish and mine are hold free too, but more than that and you can go whistle. Even after the funds have cleared the UK donor account.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 13th 2007 at 8:33 am.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DaviesHN
You must be able to do a smaller internet transfer (10K GBP max per day) from your UK account to the UK account of hifx (moneycorps or VBCE) and then get them to convert it to CAD & place in your Canadian account. There may be a charge somewhere here.
Helen
I think I'm going to try the swift transfer first. I had no luck trying an internet transfer but if at first you don't succeed.....
Old Nov 13th 2007, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by boxerdog03
We had this problem in Sept.

You have to use a bank with the visa sign (can't remember whick bank we ended up using) or your card reads like a credit card. With barclays connect you can withdraw cash from Chinook Mall atm in entrance or in Banff you can withdraw cash from the curency exchange place in the mall.

Hope this helps

Sharon
thanks for your reply. I feel a trip to Banff coming on!
Old Nov 13th 2007, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by calgary2006
My MIL banks with Barclays and she was told they have a reciprocal agreement with CIBC - she withdraws from the ATM with no problems when she is here. Have you tried them yet?
I haven't tried them yet but we opened the account with Scotia as Barclays told us they had an agreement with them! I will give them a go, thanks.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

DaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of light

I think I'm going to try the swift transfer first. I had no luck trying an internet transfer but if at first you don't succeed.....
So Barclays UK won't do internet transfer to another UK GBP account of a commercial foreign exchange company?
I know Canadian Banks don't do this (often) but UK does normally.
H
Old Nov 13th 2007, 8:41 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

I've not had any problems using a Visa Debit card at TD and ScotiaBank - so you may want to try those if you haven't.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

If there's no reason your card isn't working, phone Barclaycard and ask them to send you a new one. There should be a help number on the back of your card. They can also arrange a MoneyGram or Western Union for you, but probably that would be at cash advance rates It might be easier if you tell them the card is lost, they might waive fees?
Old Nov 13th 2007, 8:54 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by DaviesHN
So Barclays UK won't do internet transfer to another UK GBP account of a commercial foreign exchange company?
I know Canadian Banks don't do this (often) but UK does normally.
H
Wouldnt help though as HiFx end up doing a SWIFT transfer anyway to get it to the canadian account?

HiFx has a minimum transfer level I think, and I suspect it only makes any sort of financial sense for a large transfer, unless you pegged a great rate a while ago. Didnt make sense for a recent $30k transfer I made anyway, but I dont pretend to really understand it..I trust my brother (an accountant) to worry about that sort of thing.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 13th 2007 at 8:56 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.