Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

6 weeks on own

6 weeks on own

Old Jan 17th 2013, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute
Default 6 weeks on own

Hey Guys

Just wondered if you could relay your experiences of landing alone without partner.

I land 6 weeks before my partner and it will be the longest we will have been apart in 20 years. I love my own company - but not that much !

Also, not sure how I will deal with the cultural shock, being on my own in a hotel nr Spadina !

I know 6 weeks is not long in the big shape of things - its more the isolation in a new city that scares me !

R xxxx
Old Jan 17th 2013, 10:20 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 weeks on own

Originally Posted by London-England-Lads
Hey Guys

Just wondered if you could relay your experiences of landing alone without partner.

I land 6 weeks before my partner and it will be the longest we will have been apart in 20 years. I love my own company - but not that much !

Also, not sure how I will deal with the cultural shock, being on my own in a hotel nr Spadina !

I know 6 weeks is not long in the big shape of things - its more the isolation in a new city that scares me !

R xxxx
I did 7 months here before family joined.

If the place you are going to "scares" you, perhaps a rethink is in order.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 10:57 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

My husband was with me and our 11 year old son for two days, and then unfortunately left us for three months. In many ways, for us, it was better, because we had to meet people on our own, and discover things for ourselves Sorting out our house, shipment and all that jazz wasn't great on our own, but people were so nice. This is a terrible thing to ask but here goes..if your other half were to meet with an accident of a permanent nature, where would you stay? It was exactly that question that led us to move to Canada. For us it's a bit different because my husband 'normally' goes for six weeks and comes home for four weeks...the three months sojourn was just an accident. Admittedly I had our son in tow, so had to pretend a degree of 'wow, isn't this great' that I didn't necessarily feel! If you get your mindset in place, you'll be able to do it. Best of luck.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

My husband was here for 4 weeks before me and the kids came over. I think he enjoyed the peace and quiet lol. Seriously I think he was so busy with starting a new job, sorting the house, car and furniture/electricals that we didn't ship, that the 4 week flew by. We were on skype as much as possible and spoke on the phone. You'll be fine!
Old Jan 18th 2013, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold

Hey Guys

R xxxx

you're gonna fit in JUST fine! Man up
Old Jan 18th 2013, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
I did 7 months here before family joined.

If the place you are going to "scares" you, perhaps a rethink is in order.
The place doesn't scare me - had year there ! Its the being on my own - no-one to chat too.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by luvmeboys
you're gonna fit in JUST fine! Man up
Throwing a gauntlet !
Old Jan 18th 2013, 3:31 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

The place doesn't scare me - had year there ! Its the being on my own - no-one to chat too.
I was just reading what you had written.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold

Throwing a gauntlet !
Here be LUMBERJACKS ! oh, and by the way, Skype!
Old Jan 18th 2013, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by luvmeboys
Here be LUMBERJACKS ! oh, and by the way, Skype!
We only have one laptop and its mine. OH is a bit pre-historic !
Old Jan 18th 2013, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

Reidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond repute

We only have one laptop and its mine. OH is a bit pre-historic !
Invest in another laptop or a tablet before you go so you can keep in touch via Skype. I'm sure once you arrive and get busy sorting stuff out those 6 weeks will fly.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

You'll be that busy sorting stuff out the time will fly!
Old Jan 18th 2013, 5:08 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

You've only got six weeks so go out and meet the locals and get a few one nights stands in. Your partner's probably at it back at home so why not you?
Old Jan 18th 2013, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Oink
You've only got six weeks so go out and meet the locals and get a few one nights stands in. Your partner's probably at it back at home so why not you?
Thanks Oink - they will be living with their 86 year old rellie - not sure she would approve of a one nighter, my dog certainly would not !

R
Old Jan 18th 2013, 5:22 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Oink - they will be living with their 86 year old rellie - not sure she would approve of a one nighter, my dog certainly would not !

R
I obviously lead a very sheltered life.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.