5 Year Thing

Old Mar 3rd 2006, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

leanne is on a distinguished road
Default 5 Year Thing

Hi All , can any one please tell me if this is true.
I read somewhere that if your application is successful you can go to canada stay for 2 weeks and then come back to england for up to 5 year's before having to return to canada, but i can not find were i read this so i could be completely wrong.
I ask this because i know you have 1 year from the date on your medical and with all the delays some people are told they have been excepted only a few months be for the date of the medical runs out not giving you much time to sort things out.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Sockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant futureSockdogg has a brilliant future
Default Re: 5 Year Thing

HI,

I thought the rule was that you had to live in Canada for 2 years out of every 5.

I'll try to find where I read it if no-one else replies with more info.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 1:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leanne
Hi All , can any one please tell me if this is true.
I read somewhere that if your application is successful you can go to canada stay for 2 weeks and then come back to england for up to 5 year's before having to return to canada, but i can not find were i read this so i could be completely wrong.
I ask this because i know you have 1 year from the date on your medical and with all the delays some people are told they have been excepted only a few months be for the date of the medical runs out not giving you much time to sort things out.
LOL!

years, not weeks. And its a cumulative thing, its the total time in any rolling 5 year period that counts after the first 5 years.

You are right, sometimes its a tight timeframe to come land after the visa is issued due to medicals expiring, but a lot of people come land, and then go back and sort things out before returning permanently. As long as you manage two years actually in canada in the first five thats fine to maintain PR, but to apply for citizenship you need to be here for 3 years out of a 4 year period.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomer/res%2Doblig.html
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

leanne is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that it makes sense now i think ?

Have i got this wright-

You land in canada but can you could come strait back to england for up to 3 years then return to canada for the next 2 years out of the first five years and this would be ok with Canadian immigration.

Do you need to be in canada for any length of time before returning to england for the first time.

Not that we would wont to come back to england for that length of time this is worst case scenario.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 3:30 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leanne
Thanks for that it makes sense now i think ?

Have i got this wright-

You land in canada but can you could come strait back to england for up to 3 years then return to canada for the next 2 years out of the first five years and this would be ok with Canadian immigration.

Do you need to be in canada for any length of time before returning to england for the first time.

Not that we would wont to come back to england for that length of time this is worst case scenario.
Thats right, but if you did that you couldnt leave canada for even a day without risking losing your PR status.

Dont need to stay any fixed time at first, but you *might* need your PR card to get back in the country, and things like SIN and OHIP cards are usefull to have.