4x4 or not

Old May 7th 2009, 8:37 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4x4 or not

Originally Posted by Onefut
When we went to Vermont I noticed that a lot of folk had a car for summer and a 4x4 for winter, some even had plows on them

so the question is do you have one adn do you use it all year round or just in winter & would we need one for winter in NS?
some good advice so far. i think as seen on here its a very personal choice. you certainly do not need a 4x4 for normal commutes, driving around town and the like, but i personally prefer one here. Having said that though i would swap it for an alfa sports in a heartbeat.

they are handy at times and all the advantages/disadvantages have been pointed out above. i think the biggest thing to take note of though, is they do not improve your traction, the only thing saving you from a skid is good tyres appropriate for the season.

the biggest advantage i find, that does not appear to have come up so far is road clearance. its probably a mute point for 360 days of the year, but that one day when there is a huge snowfall, and you just have to go out, its an advantage to have that extra clearance when changing lanes and entering areas not yet cleared like car parks.
Old May 7th 2009, 8:41 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
i think the biggest thing to take note of though, is they do not improve your traction, the only thing saving you from a skid is good tyres appropriate for the season.
I think you mean 4WD doesn't improve your ability to stop - it certainly does improve tractability (traction) in order to accelerate on snow or wet roads.
Old May 7th 2009, 8:43 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
I think you mean 4WD doesn't improve your ability to stop - it certainly does improve tractability (traction) in order to accelerate on snow or wet roads.
yes, sorry, quite right. i have found it of most benefit at low speed in heavy snow, when a lot of other people in the car park around me just could not move without someone sat on the bonnet.
Old May 7th 2009, 8:47 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
yes, sorry, quite right. i have found it of most benefit at low speed in heavy snow, when a lot of other people
(without decent winter tires)
around me just could not move without someone sat on the bonnet.
Old May 7th 2009, 9:01 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

No, and I know this has been discussed a few times here, but AWD or 4WD (if it's actually engaged) does give that extra option over stopping, in that putting the power back on and steering might help you avoid whatever you're sliding towards.

Not that I've had to use that option (yet ).. just feels more secure having it available..

Originally Posted by R I C H
I think you mean 4WD doesn't improve your ability to stop
Originally Posted by iaink
AWD in no way helps you stop any faster than 2WD
Old May 7th 2009, 9:09 pm
rae
Settled.

(without decent winter tires)
i know you and others are really keen on these, and i must admit the road tyres on my wifes hyundai are crap, (and i thought bridgestone were supposed to be good?) so i will buy some for her this year, as my plan to cash in on the insurance does not appear to be working so might as well. but, i put them on my last car and did not notice a huge difference over the all seasons that were already on it. got all seasons on the present one and seems more than ok.

i don't doubt the advantages of winter tyres in some conditions, but i would say these would be the same as the conditions a 4x4 / AWD vehicle never sees either.
Old May 7th 2009, 9:09 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill
No, and I know this has been discussed a few times here, but AWD or 4WD (if it's actually engaged) does give that extra option over stopping, in that putting the power back on and steering might help you avoid whatever you're sliding towards.

Not that I've had to use that option (yet ).. just feels more secure having it available..
Going faster to avoid an accident (other than a shunt from behind) makes no sense to me...

Any traction you are utilising to provide torque is traction thats not availble to help you change direction...thats the whole reasoning behing AWD...spliting the torque over 4 wheels frees up traction for steering inputs and reduces the likelyhood of having all your torqued up wheels spin aimlessly. In short if you boot it, you are increasing the torque to the wheels, therby reducing the grip available to actually change your direction.

It may feel more secure, but its not....chances are you are just going to be going too fast when the shit hits the fan.
Old May 7th 2009, 9:14 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Going faster to avoid an accident (other than a shunt from behind) makes no sense to me...

Any traction you are utilising to provide torque is traction thats not availble to help you change direction...thats the whole reasoning behing AWD...spliting the torque over 4 wheels frees up traction for steering inputs and reduces the likelyhood of having all your torqued up wheels spin aimlessly. In short if you boot it, you are increasing the torque to the wheels, therby reducing the grip available to actually change your direction.

It may feel more secure, but its not....chances are you are just going to be going too fast when the shit hits the fan.
As opposed to a neutral or closed throttle which may permit AWD to provide a superior ability to change direction in slippery conditions.
Old May 7th 2009, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

Havent really read the rest of the thread, but theres no doubt you NEED a 4x4 in canada, if only so that you dont feel so vulnerable staring at the wheel hubs of Hank's truck as is veers towards you whilst he's reaching for another beer.

I suppose there have been some yoghurt weavers talking about your environmental responsibility suggesting that all you need is a toyota pious and some snow tires, which is clearly rubbish.

Manitoba hydro bought a fleet of hybrid civics, but found that they were useless all their operatives froze their nuts off cos the heater is rubbish, so now they have got trucks again - theres nothing like a v8 for generating heat. Not only that the batterys dont work properly in the cold weather and they use just as much juice as a real car
Old May 7th 2009, 9:26 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
Havent really read the rest of the thread, but theres no doubt you NEED a 4x4 in canada, if only so that you dont feel so vulnerable staring at the wheel hubs of Hank's truck as is veers towards you whilst he's reaching for another beer.

I suppose there have been some yoghurt weavers talking about your environmental responsibility suggesting that all you need is a toyota pious and some snow tires, which is clearly rubbish.

Manitoba hydro bought a fleet of hybrid civics, but found that they were useless all their operatives froze their nuts off cos the heater is rubbish, so now they have got trucks again - theres nothing like a v8 for generating heat. Not only that the batterys dont work properly in the cold weather and they use just as much juice as a real car
What a total load of tosh.
Old May 7th 2009, 9:29 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

I was more thinking about influencing a direction change, rather than accelerating. If you're braking and sliding and clearly going to hit something or run off the road, then putting the gas back on to try to get the tyres to match the road speed should help change direction when steering.

I think someone once posted on BE where they did this and managed to avoid running off the road (not sure if they had four wheel drive though).

Old May 7th 2009, 9:30 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
That was exactly my thinking behind getting the jeep. After a while I sobered up and realised id rather be able to either stop before , or steer around Hanks truck and avoid the coming accident all together...

I dont think anyone is arguing that the average 4x4 truck is the most nimble implement in the parking lot. I found mine to be a lumbering ponderous lump with dubious ride quality.

So far there has been little talk about environmental responsibility (what with most of us living in north america where its a low priority at best), but that too should be a consideration. AFAIK no one mentioned hybrids until just now
Old May 7th 2009, 9:31 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Steve_P
What a total load of tosh.
Ah, our resident hybrid driver joins the fray...
Old May 7th 2009, 9:33 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah, our resident hybrid driver joins the fray...
Actually I was more responding to the 4x4 aspect.
Old May 7th 2009, 9:35 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Actually I was more responding to the 4x4 aspect.
Yeah, that too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.