Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

40ft Shipping Container

40ft Shipping Container

Old Dec 20th 2012, 8:27 pm
KJM
BE Enthusiast

KJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to all
Default 40ft Shipping Container

Does anyone have recent quotes on 40ft shipping container? just to give me an idea of current pricing?

West Sussex to Calgary.

Thank you in advance.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 40ft Shipping Container

We got ball park figures of £6 - £6.5k but that was to Nova Scotia.

And is why we are opting for a 20ft container. (Much of what we have is rubbish and only fit for the tip anyway).

Old Dec 21st 2012, 8:42 am
KJM
BE Enthusiast

KJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Kaye5

And is why we are opting for a 20ft container. (Much of what we have is rubbish and only fit for the tip anyway).

Thank you Kaye5, In the ideal world I would like to sell some of the furniture before I leave but I am now against the clock as I would like to fly out 27th Jan.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 9:00 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Wise move! Don't pack clothes either.. the transit over will make them shrink! When we moved from Thailand we had stuff stored in boxes for a long time after. When I eventually tried some of my clothes on they had definitely shrunk a size or two. I can't think what else it may have been for them going all tight on me

KJM
As an aside. 40ft containers are less common than 20footers and you will likely pay a premium for them. I'd get mercenary with what you want to take and get down to 20ft if you can... We use 20footers offshore all the time and you'd be amazed how much you can pack into them especially if you stack your stuff to the roof.

We're going to ship a Jeep and all our stuff in a 20ft container... no kids mind you. er.... I mean we don't have kids.. not.. we are not packing kids in the container!
Old Dec 21st 2012, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJM
Does anyone have recent quotes on 40ft shipping container? just to give me an idea of current pricing?

West Sussex to Calgary.

Thank you in advance.
Look up The moving Partnership on google and speak to Tracey, she can usually undercut the big boys and was a superb service for us. they choose recognised movers and shipping lines, but are not tied into anyone, so can search the market on your behalf, saving loads. we did a 40 back in 2010 for 5333 uk pounds when a lot were quoting upwards seven to ten thousand. I can lay my hands on my paperwork, so cant give you the number, sorry
Good luck with your move
Stef
Old Dec 21st 2012, 10:55 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by james.mc
Wise move! Don't pack clothes either.. the transit over will make them shrink! When we moved from Thailand we had stuff stored in boxes for a long time after. When I eventually tried some of my clothes on they had definitely shrunk a size or two. I can't think what else it may have been for them going all tight on me

KJM
As an aside. 40ft containers are less common than 20footers and you will likely pay a premium for them. I'd get mercenary with what you want to take and get down to 20ft if you can... We use 20footers offshore all the time and you'd be amazed how much you can pack into them especially if you stack your stuff to the roof.

We're going to ship a Jeep and all our stuff in a 20ft container... no kids mind you. er.... I mean we don't have kids.. not.. we are not packing kids in the container!
40ft containers are as common as 20 - trust me.

Last edited by Miss Clinique; Dec 21st 2012 at 11:51 am.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Look up The moving Partnership on google and speak to Tracey, she can usually undercut the big boys and was a superb service for us. they choose recognised movers and shipping lines, but are not tied into anyone, so can search the market on your behalf, saving loads. we did a 40 back in 2010 for 5333 uk pounds when a lot were quoting upwards seven to ten thousand. I can lay my hands on my paperwork, so cant give you the number, sorry
Good luck with your move
Stef
http://www.movingpartnership.co.uk/i...als-canada.php
Stef
Old Dec 21st 2012, 11:43 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

If you can fit it into a 20ft, have you considered downsizing abit more and doing groupage I thinks its called. whereby you share a container with other people. it would save a few more quid
Old Dec 21st 2012, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
If you can fit it into a 20ft, have you considered downsizing abit more and doing groupage I thinks its called. whereby you share a container with other people. it would save a few more quid
We're only just squeezing into a 20ft - and with three kids didn't want to even contemplate the longer wait by going groupage - but might work for some.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

My wife, my 3 kids and I all pack the vast majority of our clothes and placed them in the container when we came over. None of them were smaller when they arrived.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Dec 21st 2012 at 1:45 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 1:38 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

We're only just squeezing into a 20ft - and with three kids didn't want to even contemplate the longer wait by going groupage - but might work for some.
I'm assuming you mean the extra luggage with having 3 kids and the 20ft was not required to squeeze the kids in as well
Old Dec 21st 2012, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Yandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by KJM
Thank you Kaye5, In the ideal world I would like to sell some of the furniture before I leave but I am now against the clock as I would like to fly out 27th Jan.
I'd think carefully about this. If you're planning to replace it when you get to Calgary furniture seems to be very expensive here. We thought about getting rid of some stuff but now we're glad we broughtit with us.

For movers, try Foxes (Steve Blackmore). They moved us from Berkshire to Calgary in May and the service was great.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

And of course we brought boxes and boxes of our favourite grocery and snack items with is. in fact I could have got much more in the container, but by the time everyone realised that I had a bit of space....I didnt have any more time to shop. I still have teabags, coffee and squash left and it has been over two years since my shipping. Some companies do not allow foodstuff, but as long as it is long life and packaged, no meat or veg....you can bring it. customs just might want to look....so if the last boxes on the container...available to view easily. My packers labelled it all on the inventory as store cupboard foodstuffs. Customs did not want to look in my container
Old Dec 21st 2012, 7:34 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your move
Stef
Couldn't agree more, we used The Moving Partnership and Tracey is fantastic. We had a 40 ft container, as we brought a car. I think all in it was 9,000 euros. Best of luck.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 12:13 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique
40ft containers are as common as 20 - trust me.
I'd love to trust you ... It depends what source you read.
Some sources suggest the 20ft is more common but the 40ft is fast catching up. Others suggest the 40ft is already more common than the 20ft units.

I tend to see more 20ft, than 40ft, containers in the offshore oil & gas industry ona global level, but that could just be the nature of our work and vessel size... 110m LOA is hardly a container ship and we need to lift these things at sea sometimes!

Last edited by james.mc; Dec 23rd 2012 at 12:18 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.