Reload this Page >

4 years of trying and now things are moving fast

4 years of trying and now things are moving fast

Old Sep 26th 2006, 1:54 pm
Belfast-Beverley-Calgary

Gillian S is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4 years of trying and now things are moving fast

Hi

You'd think we'd have given ourselves enough time to prepare for the time when the move to Calgary would become a reality but now it's finally here, mild panic has set in . I would be grateful if anyone could offer any advice on the following. I'm sure they have been discussed before but my home computer is too slow, we'd be in Canada before the search was completed .

1) Any recommendations on moving companies from East Yorkshire - Calgary

2) Any preferred airlines for shipping dogs (just 2)

3) Any advice on having a baby in Calgary (just over 4 months' pregnant with first child and I've no idea how the system differs from the midwife service offered in the UK)

Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks for your time.

Gillian
- well not until February 2007 but looking forward to my first drink in my new home/country.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 2:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 years of trying and now things are moving fast

Originally Posted by Gillian S
Hi

You'd think we'd have given ourselves enough time to prepare for the time when the move to Calgary would become a reality but now it's finally here, mild panic has set in . I would be grateful if anyone could offer any advice on the following. I'm sure they have been discussed before but my home computer is too slow, we'd be in Canada before the search was completed .

White & Co, PSS, Anglo Pacific, Britannia. We have had quotes from all of them which came in very similar - we have opted to go with White & Co simply because of how we "felt" with them - intangible

2) Any preferred airlines for shipping dogs (just 2)

When are you flying - if it is before end of October or after April next year then you will struggle to beat Air Transat for price, between these dates it does not matter which airline you go with as the "Cargo company" that will look after your dogs will charge the same irrespective of the airline

3) Any advice on having a baby in Calgary (just over 4 months' pregnant with first child and I've no idea how the system differs from the midwife service offered in the UK)

Can't help you with this one

HTH

Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks for your time.

Gillian
- well not until February 2007 but looking forward to my first drink in my new home/country.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 2:51 pm
Banned

Lees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud ofLees147 has much to be proud of

[QUOTE= you will struggle to beat Air Transat for priceHTH[/QUOTE]
Are Air Transat and Canadian Affiar merging? because after october all info is the same between these 2 I.E. price and flights.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 2:58 pm
Belfast-Beverley-Calgary

Thanks for your reply. Should be late November when we fly. Have you had a quote for flying your dog out?
Old Sep 26th 2006, 3:57 pm
Account Closed

woofwoof is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Gillian S]Hi

Hi

Just incase you wasn't taking much, eg small personnel belongings, clothes etc, I've read somewhere on these threads that people have just had boxes sent over with their stuff in, ........which was a lot cheaper.

If your taking everything including the kitchen sink and your grandfather clock, ignore what I've just said

Anyhow........Good luck
Old Sep 26th 2006, 4:00 pm
...in these shoes?

ellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to behold

We had aquote for flying our tortoise out. A snip at £500. :scared:
Old Sep 26th 2006, 4:45 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply. Should be late November when we fly. Have you had a quote for flying your dog out?
If I have this right, you're 4 months pregnant now and will therefore be at about 6 months when you land? I'm no expert, but I think you are ineligable for provincial health care (which I assume includes having a baby) for the first three months. 6+3=9.

At the very least, check carefully that you won't have a potential problem in this regard.

Good luck.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 5:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
If I have this right, you're 4 months pregnant now and will therefore be at about 6 months when you land? I'm no expert, but I think you are ineligable for provincial health care (which I assume includes having a baby) for the first three months. 6+3=9.

At the very least, check carefully that you won't have a potential problem in this regard.

Good luck.
AB and MB have instant cover for new PRs/returning citizens coming from abroad, I think the OP is going to Calgary.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

It will depend on the size of crate that your dogs will need. You will need to measure their height, length and width at chest and this will determine size of crate.

They will need to be able to stand, sit and turn around whilst in the crate.

We have 2 rottweilers and they will require the largest size of crate. The crates come in at £160 each but the next size down are £80 - real bummer !!

Including the crates the cost has come in at £2000 for both of them. Air Transat would have costs £250 plus cost of crates but we will be landing when they don't fly

Best of luck
Old Sep 26th 2006, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

TheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to behold

Hi Gillian

We moved from the North East of England to Kitchener, Onatrio and we used Atlantic, they were fantastic!!!!!!!!

We also flew Air Transat with our dog and we only paid $150 CAD. They were great too.

Not sure about giving birth here, I know you have to pick between midwife or doctor lead. Also because you don't get your OHIP card for 3 months you should make sure you have private health insurance, this could be different in Alberta though.

Jo x
Old Sep 27th 2006, 3:53 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
AB and MB have instant cover for new PRs/returning citizens coming from abroad, I think the OP is going to Calgary.

Fairy Nuff. Just trying to be helpful/avoid nasty shocks.

(To the OP I'd still check it out for myself if I were you).
Old Sep 27th 2006, 8:55 am
Belfast-Beverley-Calgary

Originally Posted by Dying to leave England
It will depend on the size of crate that your dogs will need. You will need to measure their height, length and width at chest and this will determine size of crate.

They will need to be able to stand, sit and turn around whilst in the crate.

We have 2 rottweilers and they will require the largest size of crate. The crates come in at £160 each but the next size down are £80 - real bummer !!

Including the crates the cost has come in at £2000 for both of them. Air Transat would have costs £250 plus cost of crates but we will be landing when they don't fly

Best of luck

We've got a Weimaraner and a Staffy cross. I'd prefer to put them both in the same cage but I haven't looked into this yet as we only got definite confirmation of going last night when my husband was accepted with the CPS.

Do you worry about the recent press on rottweilers? It seems such a shame as I know a few and they're beautiful dogs (in the right hands). I got an informative reply recently saying that my staffy cross would be baned in some parts of the US which I find amazing (she's so loving) because I truly believe it's the way a dog is raised, and not necessary the breed.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 9:04 am
Belfast-Beverley-Calgary

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Fairy Nuff. Just trying to be helpful/avoid nasty shocks.

(To the OP I'd still check it out for myself if I were you).
Thanks for your responses and I do want to avoid any nasty shocks so all views welcomed.

I'm hoping that I will be covered under my husband's insurance with the CPS but as he only received confirmation of work yesterday, I still need to look into this.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We've got a Weimaraner and a Staffy cross. I'd prefer to put them both in the same cage but I haven't looked into this yet as we only got definite confirmation of going last night when my husband was accepted with the CPS.

Do you worry about the recent press on rottweilers? It seems such a shame as I know a few and they're beautiful dogs (in the right hands). I got an informative reply recently saying that my staffy cross would be baned in some parts of the US which I find amazing (she's so loving) because I truly believe it's the way a dog is raised, and not necessary the breed.
I doubt very much that they will be allowed in the same crate but you will need to check the regulations on this.

I don't pay any attention to the press re: rottweilers. Ignorant people will always see them as "Devil Dogs" those that know better won't. My wife shows them and ours are as bomb proof as any dog can be. We never leave our kids alone with them and are as sensible as can be with other people.

Labradors "savage" people every day - but such incidents do not sell papers. Every time a Rottie sneezes in the next 2 weeks it will be headline news.

I totally agree that it is the way any dog is brought up that determines how it behaves.

Best of luck with the move
Old Sep 27th 2006, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dying to leave England
Labradors "savage" people every day - but such incidents do not sell papers.
Facts and figures to back this up please. Rotties have a bad reputation because they are big dogs with a dodgy temperament. In the last three days a baby has been killed and a toddler seriously injured by rottweilers. They are used as guard dogs because they are aggressive. Labradors are bred as gun dogs, have 'soft' mouths and are much more even tempered. No child should be left alone with a dog ever but some dogs are more aggressive than others and this includes rotties.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.