Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

3 Weeks until the BIG Move

3 Weeks until the BIG Move

Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:17 pm
long hard slog...done it

SpeC will become famous soon enoughSpeC will become famous soon enough
Default 3 Weeks until the BIG Move

It'll be 3 weeks this Thursday coming, when we jump on a plane for Ontario for good
For some unknown reason I'm starting to get mixed emotions about the event, happy, excited, confused but most of all self doubt.

From the start of the initial process, I've always been the one in our family with a positive attitude, "I'll get a job, find a house, all will be good etc", but as I say now all of a sudden I'm having mixed thoughts about it all

After our landing in April of this year, my wife and two girls (11 & 9) have been so excited at the prospect of returning to Canada for good, so much so that my 2 girls have been crossing the day's off on a calender and continually telling me how many day's we have left till we fly.
I went for a couple of interviews while we were there in April, and both companies offered me positions and have kept in contact with me since my return to the UK.
We visited schools, to have a look around for the girls, they're getting excited now at the thought of attending a new school and making new friends.

Your thoughts on ways of helping me keep positive would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:47 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 Weeks until the BIG Move

Like you, I was the driving force for our move to Canada. And, like you I did have a time of self-doubt.

After our visas came through I visited Vancouver to find somewhere to live and set up some job interviews. At that time the BC economy was in the doldrums. Employers were not looking to recruit and I found it hard to set up informational interviews. A recruitment consultant advised me to expect to take 6 months to find a job, and to bring enough money for a year, just in case.

When I arrived back in the UK I told my OH that I was really unsure that I was doing the right thing – dragging her half way around the world, away from her friends, with the prospect of blowing our life savings chasing a dream. “We’ve come this far so go for it”, was her response.

Two weeks after I started looking I was in a job, and I still work for the same guy now.

If it is meant to be, it will be.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 6:27 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 Weeks until the BIG Move

Don't worry SpeC having the wobbles is pretty normal at this stage. I am sure that everyone questions themselves too and everything can feel very surreal. (I felt as if I had been arranging 'the big move' for someone else )

You already have lots of positive things going on already with your family all as keen as mustard, plus a couple of job opportunities. All in all, I'd say that all your planning has come together very nicely

Wish you all the very best

PS I have friends who just moved from Stoney Creek (Hamilton) to Caledonia.