Reload this Page >

3 weeks in - need help finding new flat

3 weeks in - need help finding new flat

Old Oct 3rd 2010, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

larryhm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 3 weeks in - need help finding new flat

Hi,

I came to Toronto 3 weeks today. Took temporary accommodation for a month and have sorted out bank accounts, sent out resumes, got m SIN card etc. Been loving it so far but come across a bit of a snag.

Have been looking for somehwere else to live on a more permanent basis but thought had until 12th October. However, was informed Friday I would need to be out of my accommodation by Friday 8th (just before Thanksgiving weekend) as need to clean it for new tenant moving in on the 9th.

I am looking for a job and had a few signs of interest but finding permanent accommodation is tricky with no actual job as I have no employee references and although living on savings, some landlords want proof of $30000 in bank account before considering me, which I do not have so I have been looking at short-term accommodation for another month.

I have been looking for short-term for October on craigslist and on kijiji but either it is in areas I have been told to avoid(Scarborough, Kennedy, Victoria Park, Islington-lakeshore), really expensive (wanting more than $900 for the month - one wanting $450 a week) or people not coming back to me when I e-mail.

I am beginning to panic as only have a few days left. Anybody know of any other websites I could look at for temporary accommodation/sublets/room shares for the month?

I have a few contacts in the Ukrainian community here but do not want to use these until I absolutely have to.

Any pointers/reassurance would be great

Many thanks

larryhm
Old Oct 6th 2010, 1:27 am
Just Joined

yelloworange is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 3 weeks in - need help finding new flat

Hi larryhm,

Where are you hoping to find a place to live? What areas?
Old Oct 6th 2010, 2:09 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

Use your contacts. If you are ever going to need them, now is the time. Craigslist is the best online resource for rentals, sublets and house shares. If you have a particular area in mind, take a walk around it and look in windows for "For Rent" signs. Also look in shop windows and notice boards. $900 is not expensive by a long shot.

You will need to be in employment before a landlord will take you seriously, I would suggest that you look at renting a room in a shared house until you are working. Most people look 2 months in advance here, there are apartments being listed now for December move ins. Don't just email, pick up the phone. Then email too.

It is horribly competitive in Toronto for apartment hunters. I need someone to take over my current apartment. I posted it on craigslist this Sunday at lunchtime, by that evening I had to go back on craigslist and take my telephone number off. There were more people wanting to come than I could deal with. I had viewers booked at 15 minute intervals and the place was rented by Monday evening. You have to move fast!
Old Oct 6th 2010, 2:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by yelloworange
Hi larryhm,

Where are you hoping to find a place to live? What areas?
anywhere off bloor subway line preferably near High Park or with good subway links to town and bloor line. Avoiding Kennedy, Scarborough, Victoria Park, Islington/Lakeshore as been told these areas should avoid. Finch bit too far north.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 2:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ireland2canada
Use your contacts. If you are ever going to need them, now is the time. Craigslist is the best online resource for rentals, sublets and house shares. If you have a particular area in mind, take a walk around it and look in windows for "For Rent" signs. Also look in shop windows and notice boards. $900 is not expensive by a long shot.

You will need to be in employment before a landlord will take you seriously, I would suggest that you look at renting a room in a shared house until you are working. Most people look 2 months in advance here, there are apartments being listed now for December move ins. Don't just email, pick up the phone. Then email too.

It is horribly competitive in Toronto for apartment hunters. I need someone to take over my current apartment. I posted it on craigslist this Sunday at lunchtime, by that evening I had to go back on craigslist and take my telephone number off. There were more people wanting to come than I could deal with. I had viewers booked at 15 minute intervals and the place was rented by Monday evening. You have to move fast!
Contacted my contacts eralier in the week - had a few leads that did not pan out. looking at shared housing at the moment.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 2:24 am

ireland2canada is an unknown quantity at this point

It's good to be near the subway, that's for sure. High Park isn't known for being cheap. Scarborough and Vic Park are uninteresting, but I wouldn't rule them out entirely. When I first moved to Canada I stayed near Warden subway. Bland, boring residential place a long train ride into the city, but it was cheap.

Google "homestay Toronto". A homestay is when a family rents out their spare rooms or basement suite to foreign students, immigrants, etc. They often give lots of help with settling in and finding your way around. There are lots of them (generally in the inner suburbs) but go and see the place before committing to anything. I stayed in one and it worked out fine for a short period.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

SimonB1964 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are possibly thinking of moving out of Toronto, i am in london, Ont, about 2hrs west of TO, we have a spare room right now, we normally have homestay students but will not be getting another one until Spring.
PM if interested.
Simon.