Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The 3 months medical insurance dilemma!

The 3 months medical insurance dilemma!

Old May 6th 2008, 4:32 am
Just Joined

sagebarn is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation The 3 months medical insurance dilemma!

We have just moved to BC (Canada) and have been looking at obtaining medical insurance for the 3 months until my employer provides basic healthcare. We have found the following:

1. The majority of policies are for 'Visitors to Canada' and offer cover of up to a maximum of $150000.

2. If taking out normal travel insurance from the UK you are covered for about £3Million! Of course only for a max of 30 days.

3. If you are unfortunate to have an accident and end up in intensive care, then this would cost up to $10000 per night! The cover would not last long and then you would have a huge bill to pay out!

Does anyone know of any alternatives that would provide reasonable cover? It really is a minefield!!
Old May 6th 2008, 4:47 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 3 months medical insurance dilemma!

Originally Posted by sagebarn
We have just moved to BC (Canada) and have been looking at obtaining medical insurance for the 3 months until my employer provides basic healthcare. We have found the following:

1. The majority of policies are for 'Visitors to Canada' and offer cover of up to a maximum of $150000.

2. If taking out normal travel insurance from the UK you are covered for about £3Million! Of course only for a max of 30 days.

3. If you are unfortunate to have an accident and end up in intensive care, then this would cost up to $10000 per night! The cover would not last long and then you would have a huge bill to pay out!

Does anyone know of any alternatives that would provide reasonable cover? It really is a minefield!!
Are you sure your employer is providing basic health care and not extended health care (this is the norm)? For basic you should have registered with MSP, which can be done at any Service BC centre. Also, MSP is required for eligibility to extended plans.

Pacific Blue Cross offer a policy for new immigrants for the period before MSP kicks in. Policies for emigrants from the UK are available over there, with reasonable limits. I believe the Post Office offer such a policy. Does not help you much now, but maybe something others may want to look into before leaving the UK.

Last edited by Surrey Expat; May 6th 2008 at 4:51 am.
Old May 6th 2008, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

architeutus is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for cutting in, but normally which insurance company do most new immigrants choose if they settle in Ontario? Any input would be appreciated!
Old May 6th 2008, 5:49 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Each Province runs it's own, universal health insurance plan - in Ontario it is OHIP.

Insurance companies provide only supplemental coverage, over and above what Provincial plans cover. You cannot get supplemental insurance without already having Provincial coverage.
Old May 6th 2008, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

architeutus is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply, Andrew. Sorry I wasn't clear in my previous post, I already know about OHIP. I was wondering, for the 1st 3 months before OHIP kicks in, which private insurance company is a good bet for new immigrants? Thanks.
Old May 6th 2008, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

There are a few suggested in the wiki, but you could have a look at ontario blue cross Get an online quote for travel insurance and they have an option for newly landed immigrants.
Old May 6th 2008, 6:26 am
Banned

Euripides is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britsnake
There are a few suggested in the wiki, but you could have a look at ontario blue cross Get an online quote for travel insurance and they have an option for newly landed immigrants.
Sorry to charge in, but Blue Cross has a poor rep in the United States. They are one of the best Insurance brokers for circumventing the need to pay out. They are very creative when it comes to reasons why they shouldn't pay out. But Ontario Blue Cross may be much different.

PS., I'm not a shill from another broker.
Old May 6th 2008, 3:43 pm
I'm a girl, dagnabbit! :)

Wannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Euripides
Sorry to charge in, but Blue Cross has a poor rep in the United States. They are one of the best Insurance brokers for circumventing the need to pay out. They are very creative when it comes to reasons why they shouldn't pay out. But Ontario Blue Cross may be much different.

PS., I'm not a shill from another broker.
I'm with Ontario Blue Cross, and haven't had any problems having them pay out for my dental work or contact lenses, which is all I've used them for so far. They clearly outline what is and isn't covered in the booklet you get when you sign up.
Old May 7th 2008, 2:55 am
Just Joined

Thanks Surrey Expat. Well despite extensive research it appears the norm here is to take out Visitors to Canada medical insurance, but the max is $200000. It seems that if unfortunate to end up in intensive care, they would stabilise you and then ship you back to your home country ASAP.
Old May 7th 2008, 2:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
Are you sure your employer is providing basic health care and not extended health care (this is the norm)? For basic you should have registered with MSP, which can be done at any Service BC centre. Also, MSP is required for eligibility to extended plans.

Pacific Blue Cross offer a policy for new immigrants for the period before MSP kicks in. Policies for emigrants from the UK are available over there, with reasonable limits. I believe the Post Office offer such a policy. Does not help you much now, but maybe something others may want to look into before leaving the UK.
Surrey expat....yes am looking into whether extended healthcare is offered...if not then will extend it myself
Old May 7th 2008, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

If you take out travel insurance when you are in fact living in Canada you may find your insurance refusing to pay out. Often times after the money has been spent. It's not a route I recommend.
Old May 7th 2008, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sagebarn
I just went for the Canadasure policy; don't have the URL, but I'm sure Google can find it. In theory I didn't need it here in Saskatchewan, but 150 quid for peace of mind seemed like a good idea.

As mentioned, most travel insurance policies won't cover you if you'll be a resident in the country you're travelling to. They can afford to offer vast coverage because in most cases they can stabilise you and fly you back to the UK for much less than $3,000,000.
Old May 7th 2008, 5:28 am
Just Joined

chigirl will become famous soon enoughchigirl will become famous soon enough

i also used canadasure we purchased online before leaving the uk. for a family of 4 it cost 500 pounds, a small price for peace of mind until the msp kicked in. the price depends on what profession you have ie my husbands was high due to being in construction.

hope this helps
Old May 7th 2008, 5:42 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Euripides
Sorry to charge in, but Blue Cross has a poor rep in the United States. They are one of the best Insurance brokers for circumventing the need to pay out. They are very creative when it comes to reasons why they shouldn't pay out.
Luckily we live in America Lite, not the real thing.

But Ontario Blue Cross may be much different.
My son has supplementary medical insurance through Alberta Blue Cross, and has no complaints about them. He had occasion to test them in January, when he broke his ankle, was whisked to hospital by ambulance, and had surgery. The surgery and the hospital stay were covered by Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan, but Alberta Blue Cross paid for the ambulance and some other extras without blinking an eye.
x
Old May 7th 2008, 6:50 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Canadasure's site has been having "TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES" for a few months now.... not very reassuring, how hard can it be to fix a website?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.