Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

2nd recce or save the $$$$

2nd recce or save the $$$$

Old Nov 4th 2008, 2:58 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Question 2nd recce or save the $$$$

Hi all

Just after some advice please.

The sale of our house is currently proceeding fingers x, although following the valuation from our buyers mortgage company we have had to drop a further £4500 to keep the deal together.:curse:

We were hoping to do another recce in March time,for 2 weeks, the plan being that we will hopefully get the visas through April/May time next year and then look to move for good in the summer time.(We are going through NS PNP and PR application is now with London)

Now that our cash pot of funds has dwindled even more from where we started out we are trying to decide whether or not we should come for the 2nd recce in March or save the money from this, for the move. This money will probably give us a car in the first instance or cover a few months of rent on a house over in NS, until we buy.

We have both made contacts re work on our first trip that we will look to re establish, but this could be done from the UK. We were hoping to be able to use the 2nd recce to look at schools more closely ,specific areas to move to and employment networking.

So, the question is, would you go and use this time to really try and nail a job for at least one of us and get the schools sorted, perhaps a rental for the move a few months later,and make life a bit easier when we "land" or save the money?

Your thoughts on the above would be really appreciated

Many Thanks
Old Nov 4th 2008, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2nd recce or save the $$$$

I'd probably go ahead with the recce but maybe only yourself or OH go, not the whole family...
Old Nov 4th 2008, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

deanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nice

Hi Nikki,

The weather could still be a little tricky so maybe don't bring all the family. It would be worth coming back to do the reccie because if you dont you may feel pressured when you land to find somewhere to live and get the kids into schools etc and it may end up being somewhere where you dont want to be so you could end up moving again etc which could put a strain on things.

Still waiting on the bloody nomination also. driving us round the bend
Old Nov 4th 2008, 3:17 pm

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
I'd probably go ahead with the recce but maybe only yourself or OH go, not the whole family...
Thanks, this is a possible option although could be difficult deciding who goes, oh well women always get their way

Originally Posted by deanjp32
Hi Nikki,

The weather could still be a little tricky so maybe don't bring all the family. It would be worth coming back to do the reccie because if you dont you may feel pressured when you land to find somewhere to live and get the kids into schools etc and it may end up being somewhere where you dont want to be so you could end up moving again etc which could put a strain on things.

Still waiting on the bloody nomination also. driving us round the bend
Hope you hear soon Dean, can't be much longer now
Old Nov 4th 2008, 3:42 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

I would say leave it and save the money. It doesn't take long to find somewhere to rent here - there are loads of places available, so it won't be a panic when you get here. Give yourselves two weeks in a hotel and you will find a house long before that time is up.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
I would say leave it and save the money. It doesn't take long to find somewhere to rent here - there are loads of places available, so it won't be a panic when you get here. Give yourselves two weeks in a hotel and you will find a house long before that time is up.
Thanks Amy, I think we are going to give it a miss and save the $$, unless we come into some unexpected money
Old Nov 4th 2008, 7:41 pm
Account Closed

athena88 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi nikki

we were looking into this the other day and have decided to save the cash especially with another little one one the way. I know that from your last reccie you got things organised pretty quickly meeting employers etc Im sure you'd be fine. If we could go on our own that would be a different story. fingers crossed for your house sale hope it goes well.

athena88 XX
Old Nov 4th 2008, 11:18 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
Thanks Amy, I think we are going to give it a miss and save the $$, unless we come into some unexpected money
I think that is the right decision - anyway, you can sleep in my basement if you get stuck....!

Did I mention my basement is an unfinished one...and it currently has tenants...which squeak and my cat wants to eat them...?!!
Old Nov 5th 2008, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
I think that is the right decision - anyway, you can sleep in my basement if you get stuck....!

Did I mention my basement is an unfinished one...and it currently has tenants...which squeak and my cat wants to eat them...?!!
no you didn't
Old Nov 5th 2008, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by athena88
hi nikki

we were looking into this the other day and have decided to save the cash especially with another little one one the way. I know that from your last reccie you got things organised pretty quickly meeting employers etc Im sure you'd be fine. If we could go on our own that would be a different story. fingers crossed for your house sale hope it goes well.

athena88 XX
Thanks for the reply, good luck with the application chat soon !
Old Nov 5th 2008, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

guccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant futureguccismith has a brilliant future

Nikky,

As you know we are going over in March. If you need us to do anything for you whilst we're over there, please feel free to ask

As for a 2nd recce, it depends on what you want to achieve, if one of the main priorities is school, then it may be best in March. Only thinking that if you go lock stock and barrel in the summer, will the schools not be closed and you will need to wait for the new term to start before being able to have a look at them Only a thought....
Old Nov 5th 2008, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by guccismith
Nikky,

As you know we are going over in March. If you need us to do anything for you whilst we're over there, please feel free to ask

As for a 2nd recce, it depends on what you want to achieve, if one of the main priorities is school, then it may be best in March. Only thinking that if you go lock stock and barrel in the summer, will the schools not be closed and you will need to wait for the new term to start before being able to have a look at them Only a thought....
Thanks for the offer, yes, that is a good point re the schools being closed, will have to have a think!
Old Nov 5th 2008, 11:40 am
Yorkshire Lass

Emmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud ofEmmjay has much to be proud of

Hi Nikki

It all depends on what funds you have already and what funds you will get from the sale of your property.

If you feel you can afford it then go or maybe just go for one week rather than two, as for the few things like schools/employers etc you should be able to set up meetings with them in a week, which might save you some money.
Good Luck in whatever you decide!
Emmjay