Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

24 hrs in the life of Vancouver on the travel channel

24 hrs in the life of Vancouver on the travel channel

Old Nov 22nd 2005, 8:55 pm
..and Family

Cadey is a jewel in the roughCadey is a jewel in the roughCadey is a jewel in the roughCadey is a jewel in the rough
Red face 24 hrs in the life of Vancouver on the travel channel

"Yahoo!", I thought, "finally a programme on the multitude of travel channels on Sky about Canada, where we can get a good insight of the country, culture and conditions, and a whole hour too!"

Sarah and I tied the children to the radiators, gagged the dogs and settled down to watch...

Well...
Ok...
all we got from this programme was that you can buy fresh salmon from the docks, there is a lunatic called 'Doctor Tomorrow' living on the water in his floating cyberden and that you can buy flowers at auction.. oh yes, you can hire boats for parties where there are, and I quote, "No cops to bother you"..

Oh, the best part was the bit about crown green bowls... :scared:

Ok Vancouverites, please reassure Mrs Cadey that there is more to do there!

Ta
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:03 pm
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 24 hrs in the life of Vancouver on the travel channel

Originally Posted by Cadey
"Yahoo!", I thought, "finally a programme on the multitude of travel channels on Sky about Canada, where we can get a good insight of the country, culture and conditions, and a whole hour too!"

Sarah and I tied the children to the radiators, gagged the dogs and settled down to watch...

Well...
Ok...
all we got from this programme was that you can buy fresh salmon from the docks, there is a lunatic called 'Doctor Tomorrow' living on the water in his floating cyberden and that you can buy flowers at auction.. oh yes, you can hire boats for parties where there are, and I quote, "No cops to bother you"..

Ta
With a title like that, what info were you expecting to get?
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:09 pm
..and Family

Cadey is a jewel in the roughCadey is a jewel in the roughCadey is a jewel in the roughCadey is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by finallygotout
With a title like that, what info were you expecting to get?
Was hoping for something to whet my whistle and show us a bit about Vancouver. Canada seems to be a dirty word to travel channels...
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:18 pm
Amos Amatit Again!

GillyC will become famous soon enoughGillyC will become famous soon enough

Well...
Ok...

Ta

Nah sorry mate - that's exactly how it is here! Actually that programme was put together by the "Sorry We're Full Party" of Vancouver to put you off! I can reassure you that I have not had to resort to bowls, nor have I met Doctor Tomorrow (Is he trying to rip off Dr Who?) although there are a lot of eccentrics here. Having lived in Edinburgh for 12 years I'm used to eccentricity, it adds to the spice of life.

Vancouver's got lots of things to do. Ignore the telly and just key in Vancouver BC Canada into Google. There's a Vancouver in Washington State too so be sure to put BC or Canada in!
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:29 pm
..and Family

Originally Posted by GillyC
Nah sorry mate - that's exactly how it is here! Actually that programme was put together by the "Sorry We're Full Party" of Vancouver to put you off! I can reassure you that I have not had to resort to bowls, nor have I met Doctor Tomorrow (Is he trying to rip off Dr Who?) although there are a lot of eccentrics here. Having lived in Edinburgh for 12 years I'm used to eccentricity, it adds to the spice of life.

Vancouver's got lots of things to do. Ignore the telly and just key in Vancouver BC Canada into Google. There's a Vancouver in Washington State too so be sure to put BC or Canada in!
The sorry we're full party? thats what it seemed like too.. on a lighter note, I tracked down Doctor (cuckoo!) Tomorrow here http://www.drtomorrow.com/
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 10:33 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Was that Vancouver Canada???!! I only recognised the salmon comment

Try these to get you in the mood for immigrating...
http://vancouver.ca/greaterdot/video...ouverpromo.wmv

or (a bit more artisy...)
http://www.vancouverscenes.com/

and for BC (it used to be much better, but the BC govt have deleted the nice touristy one)
http://events.onlinebroadcasting.com...spirit_225.asx

or how about some webcams?

KitKam! Scroll down to see the picture (updated every 15 mins)
http://www.katkam.ca/

Jerico Beach Cam Updated every 15 mins during daylight hours (this is the Fall, the weather is wet, cold and foggy, see for yourself)
http://www.jericho.ca/webcam_zoom.htm

All the best

Clare
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 10:41 pm
Amos Amatit Again!

The sorry we're full party? thats what it seemed like too.. on a lighter note, I tracked down Doctor (cuckoo!) Tomorrow here http://www.drtomorrow.com/

Hmm interesting guy. Clearly the "Sorry We're Full" Party is made up but still you won't see many washing lines in Vancouver owing to the 2 sqft of space at the back of most houses. There's a tendency to build a "coach house" in the back gardens in Vancouver. Space is a bit of a premium here owing to the geography of the lower mainland. Still I'm sure Dr Tomorrow has some nifty solutions up his sleeve for such problems. I know a few planners here... maybe I should put him in touch with them and see if they can come up with something a bit more creative than another 26 floor concrete condo!
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 10:56 pm
Amos Amatit Again!

Originally Posted by GillyC
Hmm interesting guy. Clearly the "Sorry We're Full" Party is made up but still you won't see many washing lines in Vancouver owing to the 2 sqft of space at the back of most houses. There's a tendency to build a "coach house" in the back gardens in Vancouver. Space is a bit of a premium here owing to the geography of the lower mainland. Still I'm sure Dr Tomorrow has some nifty solutions up his sleeve for such problems. I know a few planners here... maybe I should put him in touch with them and see if they can come up with something a bit more creative than another 26 floor concrete condo!

It is indeed bloomin' foggy here at the moment. Has been for a few days. I'm waiting for the ghosts of dead sailors to come out of it looking for souls! Still it's more likely to be the Postie with a cape on with a visa statment looking for cash!
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 11:09 pm
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough

Just finishing a documentary on the history channel, they were looking at the fire they had in BC ( the kamploops area 2003 ). The Documentary looked at Louise creek and the all the new communty homes that surrounded it, that all burnt down.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 9:33 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

there is a lunatic called 'Doctor Tomorrow' living on the water in his floating cyberden
Is this the guy who's covered in swastika tattoos (he's trying to reclaim them as a pagan symbol he's not a Nazi) who dresses up as the Grim Reaper and stands on street corners saying to passers-by "I'll be seeing you later", "Catch you later dude", "Until we meet again.", etc...? I've always wanting to meet him but I'm not sure what city he's in.
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 9:35 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

When will I learn to read the whole thread first?
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 9:59 am
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

I remember seeing that program a while ago along with anything else with 'Canada' in the title (Gawd I've seen some rubbish)
It wasn't too bad, but now you've just reminded me of it, all I can think of is that auful music, thanks
Old Nov 23rd 2005, 10:02 am
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by finallygotout
Just finishing a documentary on the history channel, they were looking at the fire they had in BC ( the kamploops area 2003 ). The Documentary looked at Louise creek and the all the new communty homes that surrounded it, that all burnt down.
Ooh now that I'd like to see.
Don't suppose it'll be on over here though, not enough time to fit it in between all the Australia programs