Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

2012 - Travel Canada

2012 - Travel Canada

Old Jan 25th 2012, 3:24 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2012 - Travel Canada

Originally Posted by iaink
The iles de la madelaine have ceeded from France?
They were taken away from France a few centuries ago.

I think you mean St. Pierre & Miquelon, which are still French territory.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 3:36 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
They were taken away from France a few centuries ago.

I think you mean St. Pierre & Miquelon, which are still French territory.
As usual you know what I mean better than I do... right you are
Old Jan 25th 2012, 3:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Much of the mid west states are also flat and uninspiring.
And like Texas, they're not on the way!
Old Jan 25th 2012, 3:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Then, no, I had Newfoundland in mind.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 3:48 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

You sound just like me talking to my missus.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 3:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
And like Texas, they're not on the way!
They could be if you wanted to take one hell of a detour
Old Jan 25th 2012, 3:56 pm
Slob

Much of the mid west states are also flat and uninspiring. If driving from Toronto then Michigan (Upper Penninsula exempt) Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa & Kansas etc dont hold the same anticipation as driving through Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, the west end of Montana, Wyoming and Washington State.
I agree its quicker and probably less expensive to fly TO to Calgary than drive or bus it or Amtrak it.
Amtrak?
Old Jan 25th 2012, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Amtrak?
http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...mtrak/HomePage

The US equivalent of VIA rail.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 4:20 pm
Slob

I know what Amtrak is. I didn't know they had a TO-Calgary service.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I know what Amtrak is. I didn't know they had a TO-Calgary service.
They dont
Just another option of avoiding the barren wastelands of the Prairies say by going Buffalo NY to Havre MT.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh. Then much of Texas is also flat and uninspiring.
Maybe The Who were inspired when they wrote the song I can see for miles and miles
Old Jan 25th 2012, 5:00 pm
Slob

Maybe The Who were inspired when they wrote the song I can see for miles and miles
They didn't write a song with that name.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

They didn't write a song with that name.
I was getting carried away and started on the chorus rather than drop the last and miles
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Can_See_for_Miles

We could do the panto bit
Oh yes they did
Old Jan 25th 2012, 6:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

So, some things to see, from right to left:

- NF outports, rent a boat and go and see the evidence of forced collectivization, a bit like Chernobyl but won't make your bits drop off

- NS tar ponds, save having to visit Alberta

- Cape Breton, scenic, like Cornwall

- Quebec City, the only part of Canada that's charming in a European way

- Toronto, quite a good selection of cheese

- Rockies, bit like the Alps but in Canada

- Vancouver, can't say I've ever fancied going but it's where the airport is on the left coast

hth.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 1:31 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

So, some things to see, from right to left:

- NF outports, rent a boat and go and see the evidence of forced collectivization, a bit like Chernobyl but won't make your bits drop off

- NS tar ponds, save having to visit Alberta

- Cape Breton, scenic, like Cornwall

- Quebec City, the only part of Canada that's charming in a European way

- Toronto, quite a good selection of cheese

- Rockies, bit like the Alps but in Canada

- Vancouver, can't say I've ever fancied going but it's where the airport is on the left coast

hth.
Victoria on Vancouver Island is "charming in a European sort of way" according to the tourist blurb. Can't say it really reminds me of any European City I have visited. However, if you live on the Island you make the best of what you have!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.