Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

2 years and love it?

2 years and love it?

Old Feb 17th 2013, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

gb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to all
Default Re: 2 years and love it?

Originally Posted by Dotty P
lovely to see someone with a positive attitude! Good on you Deeny!
Seconded.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 8:11 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gb_griffiths
a little bit of positivity goes a long way
Here is some from last year
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=746471

My answers are still the same with a couple of amendments... (Bear in mind I live in rural Nova Scotia)

1) Space
2) Blue Skies and lots of sunshine
3) Night Skies filled completely with stars
4) No anti-social behaviour to speak of
5) Considerate drivers
6) Free Car Parking almost everywhere
7) TV so bad that's it's never switched on
8) Land available to buy at low prices
9) Almost empty, sandy beaches during the summer
10) Accessibility to some great places on the North American East Coast
Old Feb 17th 2013, 8:40 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gb_griffiths
It's undeniably possible. And that's why I said those posts are valuable. I just wanted to hear something good right now? Do you not have a good experience to share with us? No amorous encounters with sexy mooses (or is that meeses)?
I've heard that whores are cheap in Montreal, if that helps.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

gb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to allgb_griffiths is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I've heard that whores are cheap in Montreal, if that helps.
Only if they've got antlers.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 9:01 pm
But can't afford it

Location: Ireland thought about Qatar changed our minds to family friendly Calgary
PaddyMacLovingTheCraic will become famous soon enoughPaddyMacLovingTheCraic will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Dotty P
lovely to see someone with a positive attitude! Good on you Deeny!
+1 loved your honest real post. All the best
Old Feb 17th 2013, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Deeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to all

WTF's a S'more?
You are an educated man...Google it.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 9:10 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deeny
Been here just over a year; there are some niggles of course but nothing I can't get over. Some of the things I love...

We went out with some friends last night; walking back to the subway was uneventful...no puking, urinating and/or fighting feral youths. No bouncers on the door. Ditto when we were on the subway. We FELT safe.

Walking the dog near our home in Peterborough, UK = tiptoeing around the piles of rubbish, dog poo and broken bottles. No benches left to sit and take a quiet moment; they were all ripped apart or set on fire.

Walking the dog near our home Scarborough Bluffs= beautifully maintained gardens, intact benches, sound of woodpeckers, sightings of beautiful birds, chipmunks and the odd deer. Everyone you meet smiles and says hello.

The sun shines a lot. Today there is snow on the ground and it is freezing, but the sun is shining and I want to wrap up and get out there.

The summer is hot, you can make plans for an outside event. Going to a friend's cottage where we swim in the river and sit up late into the night, drinking wine and chatting while the kids make S'mores on the BBQ.

The abundance of festivals and free concerts etc.

My kids are more independent; they take the TTC everywhere and I'm happy to let them. They were readily accepted here, made loads of friends and are both happier here.

Our new friends...we put ourselves out there and have met some truly wonderful people whom we really enjoy spending time with.

We came because we loved the Canadian way of life on our first visit. Subsequent trips reinforced the belief that we would be able to happily settle in Toronto and, luckily, we were right. We weren't fleeing the UK for a Utopian dream, we knew the realities and were prepared for downsides of immigration.
We feel very fortunate that for our family the positives far outweigh the negatives and we have had a very successful immigration experience.

Wishing you all the best with yours.
The north of England sounds like a right shit hole.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

malkovich is an unknown quantity at this point

Walking the dog near our home in Peterborough, UK = tiptoeing around the piles of rubbish, dog poo and broken bottles. No benches left to sit and take a quiet moment; they were all ripped apart or set on fire.
Meanwhile, someone on a North American Expats forum asking for positive affirmation on their upcoming move to Peterborough, UK, feels less grateful for Deeny's contribution to that thread....
Old Feb 17th 2013, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Deeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Oink
The north of England sounds like a right shit hole.
Not quite North and not all of it.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by malkovich
Meanwhile, someone on a North American Expats forum asking for positive affirmation on their upcoming move to Peterborough, UK, feels less grateful for Deeny's contribution to that thread....
Truth hurts...
Old Feb 17th 2013, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

malkovich is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Deeny
Truth hurts...
Yeah, especially if one of those benches gets set on fire while you're sitting on it.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PaddyMacLovingTheCraic
+1 loved your honest real post. All the best
Thanks, you too.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

k:
Originally Posted by malkovich
Yeah, especially if one of those benches gets set on fire while you're sitting on it.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 9:29 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

WTF's a S'more?
I dread to think, and don't know either.

GB...you are feeling quite rightly hacked off. You want to go to Canada, and you want to go now.

Canada is beautiful, not in any way pretty, but gobsmackingly beautiful in a thousand ways. This morning I woke to deep ish snow, but went out and it wasn't cold, and all the branches were filled with snow, and it was the 'right' kind of snow, and later on my son and I went outside and built a big snowman, and all our neighbours came out for a chat, and it felt like Little House on the Prairie with warm footwear. Now of course its dusk and the snow has come back with a vengence and brought heavy winds so I dont feel half so warm and fuzzy.

I bet a great number in Atlantic Canada are feeling a bit ambivalent tonight.

I love the UK, haven't lived there for a long time, but I really do love aspects of the country and it's countrymen...but the M25 is a big pile of willy pooh poop and I bet everyone agrees.

Him who lives up Richmond Hill, who seems to have his own bloody Eco system, is giving me the personal pip at present, because he's gone into holiday mode, and I'd like to string him up by his onions. That being said I wouldn't choose to live in France again if it came with brass knobs on, but I'm still green with envy at his shopping choices.

I'm glad I'm here, moaning about being in, rather than being out and wanting to be in. It is frustrating. You will love it one day, and then one day you'll probably be on here moaning about something too. It will come, but you just have to tread water for a bit.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 9:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I bet a great number in Atlantic Canada are feeling a bit ambivalent tonight.
Not me. I can do without another of last weekend's snowfalls.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.