Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

2 years and love it?

2 years and love it?

Old Feb 22nd 2013, 6:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 years and love it?

Originally Posted by Howefamily
what really?
In Crawley you cant get a one bed flat for much less than GBP795 a month. Doesnt leave much for your food, petrol, clothes, pub etc. And thats Crawley! You couldnt pay me to live near there again (and I was up the road over the border in Surrey)
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-37551424.html
Ah, closer to London though so you're paying a premium for that even if it's not exactly the nicest area. Somewhere like central Reading, which is a few miles from me, you can get a 1 bed apartment for £500 a month. Other areas further away from Reading would be cheaper, and somewhere like Bracknell cheaper still.

Edit: just looked and it seems you can rent in Crawley for cheaper than £795pcm - http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-40462049.html Whether you'd want to or not is a whole other matter.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yes, in all of your previous responses on this thread you were replying to Oink and his sarcastic/wind up posts, as if you were taking them seriously (about the McCanns/Matthews etc). I was just pointing out that you should rarely do that with Oink's posts, and certainly not in this case!
Not at all, I get his sarcasm but me thinks it is often laced with parapraxes.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 7:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
There is a case to be made if you can buy two houses outright. But things have changed in both countries since he did that.
They certainly have.

By my calculations, minimum wage would equate to an annual wage of roughly £12900, so approx £1000 a month after tax.

Even where I live, in one of the priciest areas of the country, a 1 bed flat could be rented for half that.
How many people would be going for it? Leaving how many for the rest?

Since the last round of Housing Benefit cuts it has been said that typically the new Local Housing Allowances (LHA) would only cover the rent on a third of the properties in those areas.

Bristol's LHA for a one bed flat is just under £500. In Bath, £550. Doubtless these amounts may be more or less in other areas.

If there's enough accommodation up to those levels to go around, then it takes up half pay. If not, then more than half pay.

The LHA in Bristol for a 2 bed flat is £625. That's the rent I've been getting for my 2 bed flat in the duplex. Only in dollars. My 1 bed flat rents for $540.

For size, quality and location my duplex rents at higher rates than average in this city (luxury/executive rentals excepted).

But even those rents leave minimum waged people with a greater part of their incomes.
Old Feb 22nd 2013, 7:16 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

just looked and it seems you can rent in Crawley for cheaper than £795pcm - Whether you'd want to or not is a whole other matter.
Is Crawley Creepy?
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 12:47 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Crawley is horrible!
I wouldnt want to live in the nice part. If its less than $795 per month you can trust me that its one of the more scummy areas... the kind where you cant hear your own TV in the evening through the drum and bass from the house next door as they shoot up or scream at their poor kids....

makes me shudder just thinking about it
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 5:05 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

When I see the prices of rentals in the UK it makes me cringe. Back in the day (yup, waaaaaaay back in the day) my very first flat cost me £4.50 a week - it was a shared 2 bedroom maisonette and tv rental was 50p and electicity was £1.00 a week on top. I was earning the princely sum of £9 a week as a junior secretary, but that was probably because I worked down South.

It was a step down from my previous pay of £14 a week - but then I had had to pay £6 a month for a monthly season ticket from Bromley South to Victoria, including underground, and give my Dad £2.50 a week "keep". As I worked at South Kensington, I was forced to go to the Admiral Codrington every lunchtime and lie about my age so I could drink Vodka and orange juice (screwdrivers)... expense be damned!

And they say stuff is expensive now.

Huh!

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 23rd 2013 at 5:09 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2013, 7:08 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by siouxie
tv rental was 50p
I remember our TV was a slot kind and the landlord used to empty it when he collected rent. Never thought about it at the time, but I wonder if that meant we didn't need a TV licence.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

mdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to beholdmdizzle is a splendid one to behold

I love it as the birds are easy as hell. Absolutely glorious.

"Am I from Scaaaaaaatlaaand?"
"Why, yes. Yes I am."

Old Oct 1st 2013, 10:55 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The poor are better off in the UK, you say? But that would seem to contradict malkovich. Aren't they happier in Canada because the cold is drier and the people less immigranty?

I don't think malkovich was concerned with the average income earner, just the extremes, but I wonder about this claim:

"Much better chance of average/typical Canadian wage getting place on property ladder...and likely a much better home too."

Leaving aside the issue of the quality of homes in Canada, most people in Canada live in the expensive bits. An average income won't finance a house in Toronto or in Vancover. It won't in London. In the rest of either country it might. The claim therefore rests upon the geographical distribution of average wage earners across the country. I suppose it's possible to determine that but, really, if your wage is average in the UK and it'll be average in Canada, there's no economic case for moving.
Averages are always subjective and largely meaningless. As has been stated before, a tiny few with huge incomes can skew the "average" to look manageable. Doesn't mean the distribution of wealth or income is equal amongst the individuals involved.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 11:01 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Averages are always subjective and largely meaningless. As has been stated before, a tiny few with huge incomes can skew the "average" to look manageable. Doesn't mean the distribution of wealth or income is equal amongst the individuals involved.
I can't see a lot of point in resurrecting a thread that is almost 7 months old.

Thread closed.