Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

2 weeks in November....

View Poll Results: British Columbia and Washington or LA and Las Vegas?!!
Vegas and Hollywood Baby!
77.78%
Snow and Seattle!
22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

2 weeks in November....

Old Nov 18th 2010, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Zercher is on a distinguished road
Default 2 weeks in November....

So....2 weeks in November...I'm on holidays from Monday next week.

Mate is coming over (we're both 29) and our plans were all centred around Vancouver, Seattle, maybe Portland Oregon and a few nights in Whistler.

HOWEVER - it is freezing round these parts and the weather has taken a right nosedive (it is November at all). Looking at the likes of LA and Vegas I see sun and temperatures in the early 20s....and it was like 35 degrees in LA last week!!

My mate has whispers of Vegas in his ear.....what would you do?! I am thinking leave the Pacific North West to its rain and cold and head south for some adventures in Nevada and Cali....

Thoughts?! Plus any recommendations for stuff to do in LA and Vegas this time of year that would be a bit different/unusual?

Thanks!
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:31 pm
Temporary Canuck

mattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud of
Default Re: 2 weeks in November....

If you are skiing then Vancouver and Seattle.

Personally right now I'd go for the sun (although I'm already in Vancouver, so that makes my opinion kind of redundant I guess...).
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:38 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

vegas is good for a quick and cheap getaway, as is San Diego. San Fran would be fun, but the weather is not usually too much better there right now, although warmer.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers men.

Yeah November not great for SF. Have been several times before for work mainly and so wouldn't be heading again this time, and have never been to LA and really wanna see it!

Flights are looking v reasonable too. Not sure whether to fly to Vegas and maybe road-trip to LA or vice-versa. Thoughts? Prob not much difference although shorter flight to Vegas from Van it seems.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

I've done both and at the moment, being a lady of certain years, I would personally choose Vancouver and Seattle - but if I was one of two 29 year-old chaps, would definitely choose LA and Vegas!
Old Nov 18th 2010, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by singingringingtree
I've done both and at the moment, being a lady of certain years, I would personally choose Vancouver and Seattle - but if I was one of two 29 year-old chaps, would definitely choose LA and Vegas!
I like your style ma'am
Old Nov 18th 2010, 9:45 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Hookers and Blow*. Nuff said
Old Nov 18th 2010, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Zercher
Cheers men.

Yeah November not great for SF. Have been several times before for work mainly and so wouldn't be heading again this time, and have never been to LA and really wanna see it!

Flights are looking v reasonable too. Not sure whether to fly to Vegas and maybe road-trip to LA or vice-versa. Thoughts? Prob not much difference although shorter flight to Vegas from Van it seems.
LA is a bit of a hole. With two weeks though, you could easily do both southern Cal and Vegas (3-4 nights is plenty in Vegas - it gets old fast).

I've driven to San Fran before it's a nice drive along the Oregon coast...not sure about this time of year though.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by Zercher
Cheers men.

one thing for def...drive to belingham and fly from there, its always cheaper and you can park overnight for 8 bucks and it's right over the boarder. I have driven to downtown vancouver from Belingham in well under an hour before.

Personally I think San Diego is nicer than LA, which is on my list of least favourite places, although as in anywhere there are nice bits.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
it's a nice drive along the Oregon coast...not sure about this time of year though.
Couldn't agree more...the coastline of Oregon is beautiful...as is a lot of the state....What about Crater Lake on the way...now that is breathtaking.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 2:08 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Two weeks in November?

Fly to LA, do the standard tourist stuff there plus some less standard things such as La Brea tar-pits, Joshua Tree NM.

Take a side trip to SD, go to the zoo then the barrio and drink several ludicrously large margaritas. Pop over to Tijuana to see why you never want to do that again.

Drive to LV, drive straight through, shaking your head, and then go to the north rim of the Grand Canyon instead. You're both 29? Take a ride down to the bottom on a couple of burros.

My recollection is a bit shaky but I think you could easily take in Zion and Bryce en passant.

In short, bugger winter.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Two weeks in November?

Fly to LA, do the standard tourist stuff there plus some less standard things such as La Brea tar-pits, Joshua Tree NM.

Take a side trip to SD, go to the zoo then the barrio and drink several ludicrously large margaritas. Pop over to Tijuana to see why you never want to do that again.

Drive to LV, drive straight through, shaking your head, and then go to the north rim of the Grand Canyon instead. You're both 29? Take a ride down to the bottom on a couple of burros.

My recollection is a bit shaky but I think you could easily take in Zion and Bryce en passant.

In short, bugger winter.
You're so on my wavelength

I was going to ask about Grand Canyon actually - been looking at some tour options...not sure which ones are good so am open to recommendations!
Old Nov 19th 2010, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Couldn't agree more...the coastline of Oregon is beautiful...as is a lot of the state....What about Crater Lake on the way...now that is breathtaking.
yep and cannon beach and the sand dunes...forget the name. Other half's sister lives in Eugene so we go down a fair bit. I wasn't crazy about portland as much as people rave about it.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
yep and cannon beach and the sand dunes...forget the name. Other half's sister lives in Eugene so we go down a fair bit. I wasn't crazy about portland as much as people rave about it.
Eugene.....hmm, did she take a wrong turn at Woodstock and never look back.

Cape Blanco and the coast near there is beautiful
Old Nov 19th 2010, 2:45 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Two weeks in November?

In short, bugger winter.
Isn't the north rim closed this time of year?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.