Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

2 weeks to go....dreading the goodbyes

2 weeks to go....dreading the goodbyes

Old Apr 14th 2010, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

farjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2 weeks to go....dreading the goodbyes

Hi all

Well it is now 2 weeks until myself, the kids and the kittys fly to Calgary. I can't wait to get back together with my hubby as we have been apart for 7 months but I am getting so anxious about saying goodbye to everyone I'm not having 2nd thoughts at all as I have been waiting for this day for so long....just dreading the goodbyes and tears, especially from my mum. Not sure if I am asking for any advice really, just needed to spill to you fellow peeps who know exactly what I'm feeling.

I know I am a selfish cow but I wish I could just sneak off without any drama but that isn't going to happen.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 weeks to go....dreading the goodbyes

Originally Posted by farjojo71
Hi all

Well it is now 2 weeks until myself, the kids and the kittys fly to Calgary. I can't wait to get back together with my hubby as we have been apart for 7 months but I am getting so anxious about saying goodbye to everyone I'm not having 2nd thoughts at all as I have been waiting for this day for so long....just dreading the goodbyes and tears, especially from my mum. Not sure if I am asking for any advice really, just needed to spill to you fellow peeps who know exactly what I'm feeling.

I know I am a selfish cow but I wish I could just sneak off without any drama but that isn't going to happen.
You must be feeling so torn... Not sure I can offer any advise but just am sending you my best wishes for that difficult time.
I've already emigrated once and left my Mum behind and now 20 years later I'm about to do it again!!
I would say just remember why you're doing it.
Good luck x
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:14 am
Life is great!!

LISABOB has a brilliant futureLISABOB has a brilliant futureLISABOB has a brilliant futureLISABOB has a brilliant futureLISABOB has a brilliant futureLISABOB has a brilliant future

Hi good luck with everything you must be sooo excited to see your hubby. The goodbyes were very hard but think of them more as see you laters than goodbyes as you are only a plane ride away. Hope everything goes good for you and you and your hubby have a fantastic reunion
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

arabian77 is on a distinguished road

Hi all

Hi there,

I just want to say good luck and i'm sure it is difficult, but remind everyone of the cheap holidays (That's what my sisters did when they moved to the U.S!)

All the best with your new life.

Arabian
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:39 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Dreams and reality are often very different things. Good luck with the move
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:42 am
Just Joined

SandyWales is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

Hiya - know how you feel - we're moving next Wednesday and it is daunting but exciting at the same time!! Good luck with your move!!
Old Apr 14th 2010, 12:18 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to cut down on the stress of goodbyes don't allow anyone to go to the airport with you. Say your goodbyes the previous day/evening.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 2:04 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Totally agree! We couldn't be doing with saying goodbye at the airport so did them all by the day before. We were staying at my sisters and it didn't feel quite so bad saying goodbye to people there. Once we got to the airport, we were on such a high, so excited! Wishing you all the best; I'm sure you'll love it over here.

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
If you want to cut down on the stress of goodbyes don't allow anyone to go to the airport with you. Say your goodbyes the previous day/evening.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

farjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the wise words and good wishes peeps

Auld, I so agree with you, my FIL is taking me to the aiport and I banned everyone else! When some members of my family protested, I just reminded them that my 2 children would be basket cases after the drama queens in my family had finished wailing
Old Apr 14th 2010, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shamrock249
I wish you and your family Good Luck! in your move to a new life in Calgary. As someone else mentioned it's only a few hours away by plane.

I don't know if your Mom has a computer or not but I talk to my Mom just about every day using a program called skype. www.skype.com ... (free download) and using a computer camera, these cameras are cheap, you can see and talk with anyone including your Mom for as long as you want anywhere in the world and it's totally free.
Sorry I forgot to say thanks Shamrock....I bought my mum a webcam and set her up on Skype so that has helped...although she did say she couldnt hug us on Skype!
Old Apr 14th 2010, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

pip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nice

" couldn't hug uus on skype"

ahh, what a mum thing to say!!

Good luck with the move!
Old Apr 14th 2010, 7:56 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Dreams and reality are often very different things.
This is just as well for all concerned.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheThornes
Totally agree! We couldn't be doing with saying goodbye at the airport so did them all by the day before. We were staying at my sisters and it didn't feel quite so bad saying goodbye to people there. Once we got to the airport, we were on such a high, so excited! Wishing you all the best; I'm sure you'll love it over here.
I agee this is the best way....when I first left, my sister bro in law and little nephew were at the airport with me, waving goodbye to them thro passport control was not a plesant experience. However when I went for a visit earlier this year I said my goodbyes at my sisters house.....it was sad, but not as bad as the airport, plus the returning to Canada is not like leaving for the first time, if I had the chance again I dont think Id say my good byes at the airport.....not nice!

Paul
Old Apr 15th 2010, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Good luck, how lovely to be back with OH
Goodbyes are always sad its something none of us like

Originally Posted by SandyWales
Hiya - know how you feel - we're moving next Wednesday and it is daunting but exciting at the same time!! Good luck with your move!!
Good luck to you also