Reload this Page >

2 Months and I move to Victoria

2 Months and I move to Victoria

Old Jan 2nd 2003, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

rob_turner is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool 2 Months and I move to Victoria

Hello All,

Its 2 months until I move to Canada and I have a few things I just want to go over, last 2 month jitters I think. I am a British Citizen in England and I have a full UK passport.

My understanding is I can stay in Canada for a maximum of 6 months without a VISA on a British Passport, during this time as I have no work permit I cannot work.

I am however getting married near the end of my 6 months, before you say it, its a long term relationship that, providing all goes well during my stay means we will marry.

I am wondering about whether I can during these 6 months apply for a work permit or some other more permanent residency. One of my first stops will be to the Immigration offices in Victoria's main centre.

I also want to know about taking things accross to Canada, what is a good International Movers to take my possessions from the UK to Victoria and what I have to do with regards itemising, packing etc. I assume customs will need some king of paperwork/information?

Now I am off for a and to watch a horror flic to get a :scared:.

Thanks very much and I know this can be a very stressful time moving countries, jobs etc but please and take care.

Regards,
Rob Turner.
Attached Images  
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 2:53 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Rob - as I understand it as a visitor you cannot apply to change your status unless you marry. You won't get a work permit for love nor money (too many unemployed, especially on the island). If you move all your stuff over (try Doree Bonner or Movers International - the black cat logo on the lorries) as a non resident importing personal effects you will get hit with quite a tax on arrival - you know that don't you? That'll give you a :scared: if nothing else will. Last little while before you leave is scary - you realise what you are doing and what you are leaving. You might want to bear in mind that with no Canadian status other than as a visitor it would be very unwise to burn your UK bridges. It's not all it's cracked up to be over here...and once the novelty wears off and the boredom of unemployment and being persona non grata sets in you may want to go back!
Old Jan 3rd 2003, 11:08 pm
on the road again member

travelling_kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2 Months and I move to Victoria

Originally posted by rob_turner
Hello All,

Its 2 months until I move to Canada and I have a few things I just want to go over, last 2 month jitters I think. I am a British Citizen in England and I have a full UK passport.

My understanding is I can stay in Canada for a maximum of 6 months without a VISA on a British Passport, during this time as I have no work permit I cannot work.

I am however getting married near the end of my 6 months, before you say it, its a long term relationship that, providing all goes well during my stay means we will marry.

I am wondering about whether I can during these 6 months apply for a work permit or some other more permanent residency. One of my first stops will be to the Immigration offices in Victoria's main centre.I assume customs will need some king of paperwork/information?
you need an offer of employment to be eligible for residency, you could apply anyway if you have enough other credentials to help but may be a waste of time & $, of course you can always go for a holiday across border at end of 6 months & hope to renew your 6 month limit....
by the way victoria is a decent town but i think the nearest immigration office may be vancouver - check it out
Old Jan 4th 2003, 9:23 am
Just Joined

rob_turner is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

I have seen the Immigration Offices in Victoria on my last visit.
Old Jan 13th 2003, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

stacktrace is an unknown quantity at this point

Rob,

I'd recommend Allied Pickfords, as they have a Canadian affiliate (Allied Van Lines, I believe) at the other end.

Also, it is quite inexpensive to store items on the other end, if you need to do so.

Cheers,

stacktrace
Old Jan 14th 2003, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

MCannon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2 Months and I move to Victoria

Hope this helps.
- you can apply for permanent residency basically as soon as you get to Canada based on your fiance sponsoring you (assuming she fits the criteria to sponsor, ie. she is a Canadian citizen, etc.). The immigration website has all of the forms and a pretty good overview of what is needed. Remember your fiance has to apply to sponsor you and you have to fill out the applications. Sponsorship carries some obligations with it so hopefully your relationship is solid! You can bypass all of this if you qualify as a skilled worker, but the timing is just as long.

You want the forms "to apply while you are in Canada". You do have 6 months however being from the UK it is pretty easy to stay longer. Don't forget about health insurance. Be patient as it takes around 7 - 8 months to get to the first stage. Getting a work permit is not very easy until that first stage approval unless you can get some preapproved job following the guidelines for foreign workers.

- you might need to be careful what you bring with you right now, as your status will be as a visitor. If you start moving everything over it could indicate you have no intention of returning, and customs may frown on that -- a lot of "ifs" however you will find that is the nature of the process.

I am not pretending to be an expert, just passing on some information that I picked up as we went through the process just recently.

Mark

Originally posted by rob_turner
Hello All,

I am wondering about whether I can during these 6 months apply for a work permit or some other more permanent residency. One of my first stops will be to the Immigration offices in Victoria's main centre.

I also want to know about taking things accross to Canada, what is a good International Movers to take my possessions from the UK to Victoria and what I have to do with regards itemising, packing etc. I assume customs will need some king of paperwork/information?

Now I am off for a and to watch a horror flic to get a :scared:.

Thanks very much and I know this can be a very stressful time moving countries, jobs etc but please and take care.

Regards,
Rob Turner.