Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

1st Week in Regina

1st Week in Regina

Old Nov 7th 2014, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

happyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond repute
Default 1st Week in Regina

Arrived last Saturday with the family at 6pm , we are very fortunate that my company has set us up with accommodation and a rental car for three months to help us settle in. For now we live in the south of the city.

Arranged school for our daughter, sin numbers done, bank account sorted, yet to complete our health cards but have started the application forms.Still to change our driving license over but have 90 days to do so.The wife still needs a new mobile and we are checking out some deals. Still getting used to what food shops are best, our first shop for a week come in at $280 "FM!! cant be doing that to often"
The weather has yet to change at present it's no worse that the winter in the UK but it gets colder next week. Taking a drive over to Fort Qu' Appelle tomorrow just to check out whats around, but wont be be making a move till I catch up with the Hammers spank Aston a Upton Park.

Booze is dear and also cheese as every one has already mentioned on BE

In all we have all enjoyed our first week in Regina and every one has been very helpful, also thanks to the other members of BE for all the info we have syphoned from them.

I will update in a months time
Old Nov 7th 2014, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1st Week in Regina

Welcome to Canada, the shock of grocery bills takes a while to get used to!!
Old Nov 7th 2014, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Canada!

For groceries, my advice is to not shop as you did back home, or you'll pay dearly for it. Learn to buy cheese sparingly. Learn to eat lamb once a year. Squash? What's that! Etc., etc. Also, shop around for deals. Good luck and have fun with it!
Old Nov 8th 2014, 12:04 am
BE addict

Princesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Regina, I'm in the east end, sadly still waiting for residency but fingers crossed. I hope we have a better winter than the last one for you!
Old Nov 8th 2014, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

happyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle
Welcome to Canada, the shock of grocery bills takes a while to get used to!!
Tell me about it!!
Old Nov 8th 2014, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lychee
Welcome to Canada!

For groceries, my advice is to not shop as you did back home, or you'll pay dearly for it. Learn to buy cheese sparingly. Learn to eat lamb once a year. Squash? What's that! Etc., etc. Also, shop around for deals. Good luck and have fun with it!
Lamb once a year aint good lol, but I agree, shop around ,thanks for the advice.
Old Nov 8th 2014, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Princesstigger
Welcome to Regina, I'm in the east end, sadly still waiting for residency but fingers crossed. I hope we have a better winter than the last one for you!
Thank you for the welcome, I'm from another East End and I bet it aint as bad. I know it sounds mad but we are waiting to experience the winter
Old Nov 8th 2014, 12:38 am
BE addict

Princesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happyhammers
Thank you for the welcome, I'm from another East End and I bet it aint as bad. I know it sounds mad but we are waiting to experience the winter
In all honesty it's not as bad as you fear. I was here when we had masses of snow, and last year when we were stuck in that polar vortex and had really really cold weather all winter. At least it's not the damp cold like the UK and you can get the clothes and cars to cope with it!

The most annoying thing is people hearing your accent and asking you if you've had a winter here yet.... they think us Brits are soft I think
Old Nov 8th 2014, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Still getting used to what food shops are best, our first shop for a week come in at $280 "FM!! cant be doing that to often"

Your first shopping trip will always cost more as you will be buying things that you might not have to buy again for another couple of months.
Old Nov 9th 2014, 11:35 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Happyhammers welcome! The first few months are fun...but a bit mad too, it does all get better...eventually.

I used to live in Stratford, near Green Street, by Upton Park's ground....oh what I would give for a happy afternoon munching around the shops there!

The first winter is really exciting. The first night it 'really' snowed here I stayed up all night and watched it, it really was quite magical...enjoy
Old Nov 9th 2014, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MillieF
Happyhammers welcome! The first few months are fun...but a bit mad too, it does all get better...eventually.

I used to live in Stratford, near Green Street, by Upton Park's ground....oh what I would give for a happy afternoon munching around the shops there!

The first winter is really exciting. The first night it 'really' snowed here I stayed up all night and watched it, it really was quite magical...enjoy
Thanks for the welcome MillieF, we are patiently waiting for the first snow fall, down to -10 at present but still no snow.
Green Street aint the best place to walk around but the new WestField Shopping centre is good, massive difference compared to the old Stratford shopping centre
Old Nov 10th 2014, 2:55 am
Forum Regular

PearlyQueen has a reputation beyond reputePearlyQueen has a reputation beyond reputePearlyQueen has a reputation beyond reputePearlyQueen has a reputation beyond reputePearlyQueen has a reputation beyond reputePearlyQueen has a reputation beyond reputePearlyQueen has a reputation beyond reputePearlyQueen has a reputation beyond reputePearlyQueen has a reputation beyond reputePearlyQueen has a reputation beyond reputePearlyQueen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
Welcome to Canada!

Could not believe the price of cheese! I have heard it is cheaper to buy fresh e.g fresh veg, fruit and meat, is this true? I would like to keep the OH a happy hammer and not spend as much as last time on a weekly shop lol. I have already decided to make my own bread from now on as i find it quite expensive and nothing beats home baked.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Regina . 3 items you need to buy this week , plug in lead for the car , a shovel , and without doubt a Rider shirt .
Old Nov 10th 2014, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

nizblake is an unknown quantity at this point

Happy hammer, sitting here reading your storey from eastham , so jealous right now hopefully I will be writing about my first week in the near future, good luck with everything look toward to your next update.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 11:36 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

It is a-snowing in Regina.
Attached Thumbnails 1st Week in Regina-20141111_062926_resized.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.