Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

1st posting : Should we apply through HK or UK consulates?

1st posting : Should we apply through HK or UK consulates?

Old Nov 27th 2002, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

AndyM is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 1st posting : Should we apply through HK or UK consulates?

To all you Canadian immigration Gurus out there... (Mr Miller, Mr Humphries etc.)

My wife and I are about to begin the long process of applying for immigration under the Skilled Worker class. It appears that we both score ~78-82pts on immigration test site.

We are both British Citizens who have been residing in Hong Kong for the last 8 years. We will be leaving Hong Kong in August 2003.

Due to the much discussed current delays in applications at all Canadian consulates worldwide, we were wondering whether we would be better off applying through the UK consulate rather than HK :
- if we move back to the UK, will our application have to be resubmitted through the UK office?
- is it possible/likely that we still have enough time in HK for us at least to get to the interview stage?
- do you know whether there are different quotas for these countries?
- can the application process be significantly helped by applying through the less busy of these two consulates? Unfortunately I couldn't find any online stats or mission process estimates for these two locations.
What would you advise us do ?

One last question - are we likely to jeopardise our application if we apply for jobs in Canada whilst it is being processed, and then have to apply for a Work Permit ?

Many thanks for any help or advice you can give...

Andy
Old Dec 14th 2002, 7:01 am
Just Joined

AndyM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default <BUMP>

Apparently all the Canadian immigration Gurus (Mr Miller, Mr Humphries etc.) appear to be away at present...

OK, so does anyone know of other similar forums where questions like this might get answered ?

Many thanks for ANY help ANYONE can give,

Andy
Old Dec 15th 2002, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future
Default Re: 1st posting : Should we apply through HK or UK consulates?

Originally posted by AndyM
To all you Canadian immigration Gurus out there... (Mr Miller, Mr Humphries etc.)

My wife and I are about to begin the long process of applying for immigration under the Skilled Worker class. It appears that we both score ~78-82pts on immigration test site.

We are both British Citizens who have been residing in Hong Kong for the last 8 years. We will be leaving Hong Kong in August 2003.

Due to the much discussed current delays in applications at all Canadian consulates worldwide, we were wondering whether we would be better off applying through the UK consulate rather than HK :
- if we move back to the UK, will our application have to be resubmitted through the UK office?
- is it possible/likely that we still have enough time in HK for us at least to get to the interview stage?
- can the application process be significantly helped by applying through the less busy of these two consulates? Unfortunately I couldn't find any online stats or mission process estimates for these two locations.

One last question - are we likely to jeopardise our application if we apply for jobs in Canada whilst it is being processed, and then have to apply for a Work Permit ?

Andy

Andy
Go to the Canadian Immigation forum on this page they should help
Old Dec 15th 2002, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future
Default Re: 1st posting : Should we apply through HK or UK consulates?

Originally posted by AndyM

Andy

Andy.
Andrew Miller is answering questions on the Canadian Immigration Forum .