Reload this Page >

1st move international

1st move international

Old Jan 10th 2017, 8:17 am
Just Joined

Pearfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1st move international

Hi guys,
Has anyone had any experiance using 1st move international to ship cargo from the UK to Canada? I got a quote for £1900 to ship our storage container of 70sqft. That includes shrink wrap and packing onto pallets. Transport to Edmonton.

We would have to pay fees at the Canada side like import and customs. Any other charges including tax Canada side would be our responsibility. My question is would these charges be substantial and is this quote reasonable for shipping.

Our goods are just clothes, furniture and kitchen items. Some electrical goods. All old stuff that we have owned for years.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 8:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1st move international

Not heard of them, that seems very reasonable though.

Just to point out though, that as you are just visiting Canada, make sure you're very careful about whose name it's in and what you say when you enter Canada! Your gf will need to have all the paperwork etc, if CIC think you are trying to live in Canada when you only have visitor status, they may well refuse you entry.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pearfish
Some electrical goods.
Be aware these may not work in Canada without a voltage convertor. Canada is 120v at 60 Hz not 230v at 50Hz.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
Be aware these may not work in Canada without a voltage convertor. Canada is 120v at 60 Hz not 230v at 50Hz.
Thank you yes it's just laptops mainly and a camera. I do have blenders and stuff but never thought about them. I guess I'll sell the blenders and other kitchen electricals. Is it mainly only laptops and computers that are 110-240? I have a Denon home cinema amplifier that I am looking to upgrade anyway and a Pioneer bluray player (multi region) but maybe best to sell.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Just to point out though, that as you are just visiting Canada, make sure you're very careful about whose name it's in and what you say when you enter Canada! Your gf will need to have all the paperwork etc, if CIC think you are trying to live in Canada when you only have visitor status, they may well refuse you entry.

Thank you for the quick reply. Yes it will all be in my GFs name. I wanted to wait and ship it after my application for PR was submitted but she wants some of the stuff asap. I will send the 'items to follow' with her. If we decide to wait there is no problem then. I won't be living just visiting for 4 weeks at a time. As I work overseas for 2 months on with 1 month off.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

^^^ This.

As your girlfriend (and by extension, you) is in an unusual situation (returning to Canada on a PRTD granted on H&C grounds), I'd be very careful.

She, as a PR (see above proviso), can bring her belongings in, subject to CBSA rules & regulations.

You as a visitor, not so much.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 4:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pearfish
Thank you for the quick reply. Yes it will all be in my GFs name. I wanted to wait and ship it after my application for PR was submitted but she wants some of the stuff asap. I will send the 'items to follow' with her. If we decide to wait there is no problem then. I won't be living just visiting for 4 weeks at a time. As I work overseas for 2 months on with 1 month off.
Sounds perfect. The latter bit is what may cause an issue, if you look at it from CBSA's point of view - you have a gf living in Canada, you have no address outside Canada that you live in, no proof of ties to the UK etc, so it looks like you're trying to live in Canada when you don't have the right to yet. I know you say you won't be living there, but you certainly won't be living anywhere else either, so you just need to be super careful so that you're not refused entry. But if your gf ships everything in her name, then that will help and hopefully mean less of a reason to assume you're not just visiting.

Good luck.