Reload this Page >

18 and need to meet people in SE Calgary

18 and need to meet people in SE Calgary

Old Dec 9th 2011, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

calanders is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 18 and need to meet people in SE Calgary

Hi,

Can anyone advise me how best to get a social life in SE Calgary. I am 18 and have just moved to McKenzie Lake with my family and am looking for work and also a social life. Any help would be appreciated.

Callum
Old Dec 10th 2011, 3:04 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 18 and need to meet people in SE Calgary

Move back asap
Old Dec 10th 2011, 1:21 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Move back asap
How helpful.

To the OP, indoor football will be kicking off any time now, if not already. Get yourself to one of the rec centres nearby and find out when the training times are and who to contact.

Also, try googling indoor rec soccer in Calgary-there should be plenty of info about teams, leagues, who's looking for players etc.

Good luck.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

andrew127 is an unknown quantity at this point

Try the Calgary Sport and Social Club:

http://www.calgarysportsclub.com/main/index.shtml

They run all manner of sports. They take entry of single players in 'singles teams' with other people in the same situation. The winter seasons start in the new year. I play in a team in the indoor/outdoor football. Entry fees per player are about $50 per season (sports vary according to the time of year, obviously there is no outdoor football at present)
Old Dec 10th 2011, 4:26 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Not being able to drink or go to pubs you'll find a lot of young people enjoy meeting around rc car racing. In the winter I think they either go to the cinema or to the shopping centre.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Callum - as others have suggested, if you are into sport, then I suspect there is tons on offer - it's just a case of finding it - and getting to it. Do you drive or at least have access to a car?

Do you ski or snow-board - or would you like to try it? Will your family be doing that anyway? If you meet any young-ish people, ask if they will car-share and take you with them up to Sunshine or Nakiska or wherever they are going.

McKenzie Lake is a reasonably new community which may or may not have much going on within it - others can probably comment.

You say you are looking for work .... what kind? Were you already working in the UK before you left? Had you just finished A levels? Are you looking for something as a fill-in before you go to college or uni, or are you looking for a "proper" full time job?

Something you may baulk at, but please give it some serious consideration - go back and do the final year of high school, if only to meet some kids your age.

If you are looking at training/college/uni - you need to be applying now for entry next September. Make sure you have the right entry requirements and if not, spend the next 7 months doing some upgrading courses.

18 is quite a difficult age to move - you need to be outgoing and friendly, even if it does not come naturally, and keep chipping away at any opportunity that come your way.

I wish you lots of luck in settling in.
Old Dec 10th 2011, 5:41 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Just to agree with everything Ann said above .... sorry!

She is spot-on!!

I just posted this on your other thread, but will put it here as well .... http://www.calgaryoutdoorclub.com/ Seems like a good way to meet people ...

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Dec 10th 2011 at 5:54 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2011, 4:27 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Go to University
Old Dec 11th 2011, 4:47 am
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by el_richo
Go to University
If OP is here on parent's work permit then Uni wil probably be out of the question due to extortionate International fees What are your ambitions for the future? there seem to be plenty of good colleges in Calgary if Uni is not for you.

I tend to agree about going back to do last year of High School as a good way to meet people and also get a pretty good introduction into the life of Canadian teenagers.

Our daughter is 18 early next year and will graduate High School in the summer. She is pretty outgoing and makes friend easily but she still found it hard to break into friendship groups, I think this is the same all over.

Volunteering is another great way to meet other teenagers and is big here.

Good Luck
Old Dec 11th 2011, 6:35 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowcandy
If OP is here on parent's work permit then Uni wil probably be out of the question due to extortionate International fees
If they are here on parent's work permit then I don't think they get to a work permit themselves anyway ....
Old Dec 12th 2011, 3:48 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Not being able to drink or go to pubs you'll find a lot of young people enjoy meeting around rc car racing. In the winter I think they either go to the cinema or to the shopping centre.
Er, legal age in Alberta is 18.

If you want a social life in Calgary you go down 9th Ave/red mile on a friday or saturday night and get ass faced with all the other kids. Or if you've got the money you go to the Kensington area.

McKenzie Towne is pretty weak on the rec centre front.

If you've got no car you can take the bus but it's quicker to get a lift to Shawnessee LRT which isn't far away. You'll meet people on the train your age, talk to them about what to do. Hanging around Chinook Centre, lol. You can get a job there too.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 3:24 am
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
If they are here on parent's work permit then I don't think they get to a work permit themselves anyway ....
There is a pilot scheme in Alberta at present where children of a TWP permit holder can apply for an open work permit once they turn 18.
Old Dec 13th 2011, 4:50 am
little snowy owl

Originally Posted by snowcandy
There is a pilot scheme in Alberta at present where children of a TWP permit holder can apply for an open work permit once they turn 18.
Thankyou ... just goes to show one shouldn't post about matters one knows nothing about!