Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

110v to 240v booster

110v to 240v booster

Old Jul 28th 2016, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 110v to 240v booster

Originally Posted by not2old
fully agree on the power rating, as well as the type of device.

Power rating & safety is primary, also what about when these UK appliance breakdown or require service

From my post #2 earlier in the linked above types available

OP, if you are going the step up voltage adaptor/transformer route, then at least the 1000w unit at $68.99 cdn each, maybe two of those

Or one 2000w at $99.99 cdn each

Depends if the portable transformer type, moving it around the house for those UK small applicance devices is even worth it.

If it was me, I wouldn't bother buying the bulky one or two transformers - I'd go out & buy 110v replacement applicances, figuring the replacement cost of replacing them all or one by one. Check Walmart, they have some good pricing

A hairdryer

A portable electric drill set

A Blender/mixer, coffee maker, coffee grinder, kettle...

OP, did you bring over the vacuum cleaner also?

Yes a Dyson!😞
Old Jul 28th 2016, 3:03 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
Yes a Dyson!� ����

then its worth doing the voltage 'adaptation'... whatever works best, just make sure that you have enough current/wattage/power available from the adaptor/conversion
Old Jul 28th 2016, 3:31 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Get a licensed electrician to do any electrical work.

Basic electricity 101 - for information purposes only

Most all kitchen AC outlets in Canada are split receptacles. Basically means, that one half of the dual sockets (lets say the top) is wired from one side of the fuse panel with 110v, the bottom one is wired with 110v from the other side of the fuse panel. Each side of the live wires has separate fuses

With a multimeter/measuring device the socket actually has 110v-0-110v, or 220v across the two live points, with a neutral wire and of course the (earth) ground wire also

Basic 10 minute job, out comes the dual 110v socket, replacing it with a legal 220/250v 15 amp socket available from Home depot *notice the prongs in the socket are in a different configuration to a conventional 110v socket*

socket

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1...000137033.html

I have seen this done, even down to folks getting a single UK 13 amp socket to retro fit. Of course anything not conforming to UL/CSA shouldn't be done - or should it?

Right then, on the basis a home owner replaces on of the kitchen dual 110v sockets with a single one of those things from home depot, they would then need to change all the plugs on the UK appliance/devices.

Does it serve the purpose, well of course.

Should it be done - its the decision of whoever is doing it. Going this route, speak to an electrician first, just make sure the electrician does it right & proper

Last edited by not2old; Jul 28th 2016 at 4:13 pm. Reason: edited with corrected links
Old Jul 28th 2016, 4:18 pm
Dichotomus tinker

@ post#18

Plug

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1...000159340.html

socket

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1...000137033.html
Old Jul 28th 2016, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

The only kitchen outlets I've had in homes in Canada and the US that are 220VAC are for a stove, water heater, clothes dryer....and a central Air-Con in Arizona.

North America's 220VAC is a 4 wire system.... 2 hot (110V) wires, 1 neutral, 1 safety.
United Kingdom's 220VAC is a 3 wire system....1 hot (220V) wire, 1 neutral, 1 safety.

I realize it's possible to wire a 2nd hot wire in a UK socket to neutral but that will never be accepted by csa.....nor insurance co's if the house went on fire. That could put the potential of all neutral wires in the house at 110VAC....not zero....if not careful. Then the RCCB's may trip.

It could be done by installing a large transformer near the electrical distribution box and re-wiring its output of 240VAC inside the distribution panel to optional sockets throughout the house, then substituting those sockets for UK style fittings to accept the appliance plug.

The wiring in Canadian homes are for a larger amperage capacity than those in UK....so no problem there.
The reverse of taking N.American 110VAC appliances to UK, and doing the same, can cause overheating wires.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 4:31 pm
Dichotomus tinker

@post20

Fairly standard in properties built in the last 40 - 50 years in Canada, even those that have been rewired from 'nob&tube' wired, that Kitchen outlet sockets as I mentioned are split 110-0-110, for the reason if they werent and someone plugged in a kettle & toaster into a dual tandum socket that only had 15 amp maximum capacity, the fuse would be tripping every 30 seconds - one minute

You will find conformity to install a single 15amp/250v socket for the reason the provision made in the wall panel/fuse box & the fact that some workshops, even home garages have these sockets.

And that is why CSA/UL (ULC) sockets are available & sold as being conforming

Suggest the OP contacts a local Electrician

As for fitting a UK/OZ/SA type 240/250v socket, these are non-conforming in Canada... at your own risk

Last edited by not2old; Jul 28th 2016 at 6:24 pm. Reason: edited
Old Jul 28th 2016, 6:04 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita
The above item will NOT work in Canada.
It is only a step-down transformer/converter from 240VAC to 120VAC.
The OP needs a step-up transformer/converter from 120VAC to 240VAC to operate the equipment he brought from UK.
Check London Drugs...I believe I saw small transformers there...also any small electronic or dollar stores.
I recently bought a similar cube step-down from a dollar store in Vancouver to charge a waterpik (120VAC) which we bought 'on sale' in London Drugs to take to Bali (240VAC) ....cost C$8.
Originally Posted by Davita
I agree with the Pulaski...these small travel cube-style transformers are only for small non-continuous loads and can be dangerous if used on high wattage. They heat-up and can cause fires....especially if the connector is also weak.

Proper step-up-down transformers are ventilated and often fitted with a fan to dissipate the heat they generate. They are also made of heavy grade material...not flimsy plastic.
I was referring to his shaver and toothbrush, not other appliances - hence me quoting his post that asked about those.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 28th 2016 at 7:43 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 6:31 pm
Dichotomus tinker

from a google search, for information purposes only

How to install a 220 volt outlet - AskmeDIY

How to Convert a 110V Outlet to 220V | eBay

220Volt socket in a kitchen
Old Jul 28th 2016, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

bert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond repute

We bought some bits with us also and worked this out as we went along

Where the plug says 110-220 on it, it is ok to use a standard plug converter.

Where it just says 220, it needs a step up/down transformer that is rated above the wattage it requires (I think it's generally advised for 25% above)

We bought 3 transformers (the same as those linked to in the first reply) of various wattages - we use them as and when required (one tv/blurays player in the bedroom - this also is used for the electric razor charging too, the hornby train set has one and the dyson has a 2000w one)
For us, this serves as enough for what we needed them to do. Any smaller electrical stuff we replaced here.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I was referring to his shaver and toothbrush, not other appliances - hence me quoting his post that asked about those.
I understood you were referring to the question but your link was for a step -down transformer i.e. 240 volts down to 120 volts which would satisfy Canadians on vacation and wanting to run their small appliances.

The OP needs a step-up transformer from Canada's 120 volts to his appliances needing 240 volts.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

nicolasta is an unknown quantity at this point

We bought a Simran 1000w Step up/Step down converter on amazon. I shipped over a treadmill, a kenwood and a food processor. It works well for all three (not at once!). It was cheaper for us than replacing over here.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all, checked with the landlord, no alterations, no surprise.

I will buy a box to 2000w and move it around the house when I need to, in theory, I should also be able to charge the toothbrushes and the girls shavers through it, so it makes sense to do this. Much cheaper than a 110v Dyson. Again, thanks.

By the way, anyone had BC Cherries from Safeway? They are huge and fabulous. $8/kg but worth it as a treat.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 3:53 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef

By the way, anyone had BC Cherries from Safeway? They are huge and fabulous. $8/kg but worth it as a treat.
$1.50/kg here from the farmers market, or free from the neighbours overhanging tree. I love cherry season.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Please see below. Duplicate post.

Last edited by Yorkiechef; Jul 30th 2016 at 12:25 am.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by not2old
ebay, amazon.ca & google are worth searching

Just remember the maximum current from a Canadian AC outlet is 15 amps or approx 1650 watts

in the meantime

https://www.amazon.ca/Goldsource%C2%...34ZXEMQKKD6SN1

https://www.amazon.ca/Goldsource%C2%...YTPP5G332JWZFG

https://www.amazon.ca/Simran-AC-500-.../dp/B004MPR3XQ

I purchased the top one, thank you. £60.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.