Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

10 week wait to see GP - Ontario

10 week wait to see GP - Ontario

Old May 28th 2009, 2:30 pm
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about
Default 10 week wait to see GP - Ontario

I have just made an appointment to see my GP and have to wait 10 weeks! Fortunately it is not urgent but I am going to speak to him and find out why after being a patient for many years (not having to see him often) one has a long wait. Cobourg Ontario.

Last year I needed to see him urgently and was told 6 weeks for first available appt. First she said call for an emergency appointment at 9 a.m. Whe I do that line is always engaged, then when I do get through at 2 minutes past nine all emerg. appointments taken! I was told to go to Fastrack at the hospital, which happens to be slowtrack all the hours one has to wait or go to nearby Port Hope walk in clinic which I did and dr. knew little about what I had and gave me an antibiotic that didn't work.

2 days later I was on a plane to UK for winter. When we arrived in Eastbourne I knew I had to see a Doctor and within 30 minutes of making enquiries to see one I had an appointment.

Two weeks later we were staying in Dorset and I needed to see a doctor since the medication worked but not entirely. I got a same day appointment and had to see him the following 3 weeks and always got an appointment for the next day.

I have spoken to other people here in Cobourg and they too have to wait 4 or 6 weeks to get a dr. appointment. This is quite outrageous but guess one will not get anywhere speaking to the doctor concerned though I will try when I see him.

Not impressed with health care in this part of Canada but it seems one has to put up with it. Guess we could go back and live in UK!
Old May 28th 2009, 2:36 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 10 week wait to see GP - Ontario

Originally Posted by Pamela 1
I have just made an appointment to see my GP and have to wait 10 weeks! Fortunately it is not urgent but I am going to speak to him and find out why after being a patient for many years (not having to see him often) one has a long wait. Cobourg Ontario.

Last year I needed to see him urgently and was told 6 weeks for first available appt. First she said call for an emergency appointment at 9 a.m. Whe I do that line is always engaged, then when I do get through at 2 minutes past nine all emerg. appointments taken! I was told to go to Fastrack at the hospital, which happens to be slowtrack all the hours one has to wait or go to nearby Port Hope walk in clinic which I did and dr. knew little about what I had and gave me an antibiotic that didn't work.

2 days later I was on a plane to UK for winter. When we arrived in Eastbourne I knew I had to see a Doctor and within 30 minutes of making enquiries to see one I had an appointment.

Two weeks later we were staying in Dorset and I needed to see a doctor since the medication worked but not entirely. I got a same day appointment and had to see him the following 3 weeks and always got an appointment for the next day.

I have spoken to other people here in Cobourg and they too have to wait 4 or 6 weeks to get a dr. appointment. This is quite outrageous but guess one will not get anywhere speaking to the doctor concerned though I will try when I see him.

Not impressed with health care in this part of Canada but it seems one has to put up with it. Guess we could go back and live in UK!
At least you have a doctor.
Old May 28th 2009, 2:36 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

10 weeks is ridiculous! My GP is 25 minutes up the road from you in Trenton, non urgent appointments are usually a week or so, but if its urgent he will try and fit you in that day, next day at worst.

GP care is very patchy though, especially in the smaller towns that have to work hard to recruit GPs. Belleville and Trentons have been quite sucessfull with their recruitment program thankfully. Its not really the doctors fault, Im sure he would love to have more reasonable wait times, but its just a function of too many patients, too few GPs in the small towns.

Last edited by iaink; May 28th 2009 at 2:45 pm.
Old May 28th 2009, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

Do you not have walk-in clinics in Ontario? I have a local 'GP'. I must say I hav never had that kind of wait...but if I need to see him urgently I can just go to his clinic and wait as a walk in?? There are also numerous 'walk ins' around the city?

Does seem like a crazy amount of time I agree!!

Lisa
Old May 28th 2009, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

....Sorry...Just re-read your post and saw that you do!!! I know it is a pain not always knowing the Dr but they are a good back up.....
Old May 28th 2009, 2:42 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leepee
Do you not have walk-in clinics in Ontario?

Lisa
Yes we do. They tend to be a good place to hang around and get sick while you wait your turn The teleheath phone thing works pretty well too for general concerns and for triage, and they can give the local hospital a headsup if you need to come in that can save some of the waiting in emerg.

A (good) GP is preferable as they have access to your history, but a ten week wait does no one any good. We initially had a crap GP, so abandoned him in favour of the walk in clinics, before landing our current Doc. There is a lot of demand for GPs still, probably the majority of people in smaller places have to rely on the walk in clinics...
Old May 28th 2009, 2:53 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pamela 1

A 10 week wait to see a GP is most excessive and IMO intolerable. You and the other people you have spoken to in Coburg should get in contact with your MP and MPP to have them look into the matter.
Old May 28th 2009, 3:08 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Yes we do. They tend to be a good place to hang around and get sick while you wait your turn The teleheath phone thing works pretty well too for general concerns and for triage, and they can give the local hospital a headsup if you need to come in that can save some of the waiting in emerg.

A (good) GP is preferable as they have access to your history, but a ten week wait does no one any good. We initially had a crap GP, so abandoned him in favour of the walk in clinics, before landing our current Doc. There is a lot of demand for GPs still, probably the majority of people in smaller places have to rely on the walk in clinics...
I spent a fruitless two weeks a couple of years back trying to find a GP in Gatineau. No dice. I've been on a waiting list ever since. Even the walk-ins here weren't accepting new patients. Using the ER at Gatineau Hospital? Forget it. It has the longest wait times going (25 hours). At the moment, walk-ins in Ottawa are the only option. You have to pay and you'd better be there when it opens.

We have been given a tip-off that the U of O medical centre will soon be accepting new patients, including even more from QC. We're monitoring that one very closely.
Old May 28th 2009, 3:30 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Our Doctor is pretty good, if it is urgent they will see you on the day, routine appts are the same week.

I have only had one instance where I could not get in same day, as they had closed. I went to the Walk in Clinic, they have a great system where you make an appointment and they call you at home when it is almost your turn.
Old May 28th 2009, 4:26 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Used our Doc for the first time last week.

Phoned and got an appointment the next morning. Turned up, she had a look at severe ankle sprain and asked me to go for X-rays. Gave me a chitty and 30 minutes later the X-rays had been done at a local clinic.

She's as mad as a hatter though and looks like a cross between side show Bob and Crystal Tips!
Old May 28th 2009, 4:33 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

A ten week wait is not unusual if it's for an annual check-up or such like, other than that a day or two is all I'm willing to tollerate.
Old May 28th 2009, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Maria_747 will become famous soon enoughMaria_747 will become famous soon enough

OMG !
This not funny !! Its a disgrace !

I hope its not like that in The Greater Toronto Area !

No matter what, If I need to see the GP, I can see her on the day, even if I have to wait a couple of hours !
Old May 28th 2009, 5:11 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maria_747
OMG !
This not funny !! Its a disgrace !

I hope its not like that in The Greater Toronto Area !

No matter what, If I need to see the GP, I can see her on the day, even if I have to wait a couple of hours !
The GTA is quite good compared to many places, but thats because we have plenty of doctors here
Old May 28th 2009, 5:23 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
The GTA is quite good compared to many places, but thats because we have plenty of doctors here
Sort of like the North Shore in Nova Scotia then !!!!! LOL
Old May 28th 2009, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

atscmc will become famous soon enoughatscmc will become famous soon enough

Hi,

That is not the norm in Ontario. In Toronto I have been offered a same day routine appointment and usually I get seen within a couple of days for routine appointments. My doctor's surgery also has an urgent walk in clinic every day. And I believe they are still taking new patients. They are an excellent practice.

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.