Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

1-Transfer of uk licence,2- filing taxes.

1-Transfer of uk licence,2- filing taxes.

Old Mar 2nd 2015, 4:48 am
July 2014

debhinds has a brilliant futuredebhinds has a brilliant futuredebhinds has a brilliant futuredebhinds has a brilliant futuredebhinds has a brilliant futuredebhinds has a brilliant future
Default 1-Transfer of uk licence,2- filing taxes.

Good morning,
My husband is "visiting' me under dual intent,PR application transferred to LVO Aug 22/14.He has visitors stamp till June and we will extend if necessary until decision made.
He can only drive on his UK licence for 90 days,that is up next week.My question is if only "visiting" can he still transfer licence as technically as a " visitor" he should be returning to UK.
We married Feb of last year and I filed my taxes as married this year.My husband is being claimed as my dependent even though he is only here visiting me.I explained this to the company(not H&R) who does my taxes and that my husband has no SIN yet.They are going to get info from Revenue Canada.My question is,is this a relatively routine procedure for people in our situation?
Thank you.
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 5:23 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1-Transfer of uk licence,2- filing taxes.

Originally Posted by debhinds
Good morning,
My husband is "visiting' me under dual intent,PR application transferred to LVO Aug 22/14.He has visitors stamp till June and we will extend if necessary until decision made.
He can only drive on his UK licence for 90 days,that is up next week.My question is if only "visiting" can he still transfer licence as technically as a " visitor" he should be returning to UK.
We married Feb of last year and I filed my taxes as married this year.My husband is being claimed as my dependent even though he is only here visiting me.I explained this to the company(not H&R) who does my taxes and that my husband has no SIN yet.They are going to get info from Revenue Canada.My question is,is this a relatively routine procedure for people in our situation?
Thank you.
Hello!

You don't say which Province your are in - each Province has different requirements of what paperwork is necessary to exchange a licence. Some Provinces allow visitors to drive for up to 12 months, so it is worth double checking!

One thing most will require to exchange a licence is proof of status and the easiest way to get that(provided you are able to get to the border) is to request a visitor record.

This might give you an idea on the tax: TaxTips.ca - Spouse or Common-Law Partner Amount Tax Credit

Old Mar 2nd 2015, 6:12 am
July 2014

debhinds has a brilliant futuredebhinds has a brilliant futuredebhinds has a brilliant futuredebhinds has a brilliant futuredebhinds has a brilliant futuredebhinds has a brilliant future
Default Re: 1-Transfer of uk licence,2- filing taxes.

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Hello!

You don't say which Province your are in - each Province has different requirements of what paperwork is necessary to exchange a licence. Some Provinces allow visitors to drive for up to 12 months, so it is worth double checking!

One thing most will require to exchange a licence is proof of status and the easiest way to get that(provided you are able to get to the border) is to request a visitor record.

This might give you an idea on the tax: TaxTips.ca - Spouse or Common-Law Partner Amount Tax Credit

Siouxie,thank you,we are in Ontario and both your answers were very helpful