Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

1 last question i promise

1 last question i promise

Old Nov 23rd 2008, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

sas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond repute
Default 1 last question i promise

So lastly .. medical notes.

I have contacted my doctors, they are willing to give me and kids our medical notes (well copies) but it will cost a max of £150 (£50 for each of us) .. I should be grateful as they are giving me the childrens immunisations records for free ..

Should i bother taking them over, if we have to use a walk-in clinic as we may not be able to find a GP, are they really going to pay attention to these notes ..

My youngest is rarely ill so there wont be a lot on him and my oldest suffers from some serious hayfever to the point where he wont leave the house during the summer months unless he absolutely has to.

I will need a printout of my depo jab i have to have every 11 weeks but i think that everything else is irrelevant ..shoulder muscle knotted, chest infections, 3 bouts of sciatica and i can reel off the drugs that were given to me ..

What would you do???
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 3:25 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 1 last question i promise

If no-one has anything of importance and you are able to reel off all drugs and conditions I wouldn't bother spending the money.

We recently had to change doctors here because our family doctor retired we were lucky enough to find another one to take us on. They had a fairly comprehensive question sheet which we filled in which was more than adequate, no need for our old doctors notes.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of

That is outragious - when we came over I got a printout from my and hubby's doctor for free. We joined a practice here and she was not too interested tbh, so I would save your money

Rachel
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 4:07 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't bring any medical notes with me - just the kids red books and they are hardly useful...lol! We haven't had any problems so I wouldn't worry about it. If you NEED them in the future then you can always send for them then.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

save your money. I left my notes in holland and have been to the US, UK, IE and NZ since. All you need is the shots, and any major surgeries or chronic conditions/prescriptions.

And to be honest, you sound like you remember those.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 10:48 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Save your money - all they will ask is what they are allergic to!
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sas-lou

I have contacted my doctors, they are willing to give me and kids our medical notes (well copies) but it will cost a max of £150 (£50 for each of us) .. I should be grateful as they are giving me the childrens immunisations records for free ..

Should i bother taking them over, if we have to use a walk-in clinic as we may not be able to find a GP, are they really going to pay attention to these notes ..

My youngest is rarely ill so there wont be a lot on him and my oldest suffers from some serious hayfever to the point where he wont leave the house during the summer months unless he absolutely has to.

I will need a printout of my depo jab i have to have every 11 weeks but i think that everything else is irrelevant ..shoulder muscle knotted, chest infections, 3 bouts of sciatica and i can reel off the drugs that were given to me ..

What would you do???
I wouldnt bother.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute

What would you do???

I can't believe they are charging you! I asked for mine just in case, and got them for free.

I haven't yet had to use them, as I've not registered with a GP. I'm currently still using my prescriptions from the UK as my doc was good enought to give me btwn 6-12 months worth of all my pills - on 4 different things!!!

Save you money as everyone else has said!

Bx
Old Nov 24th 2008, 5:19 am
KJM
BE Enthusiast

KJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to all

What would you do???
Sas

There are having your pants down with that price. I believe it only cost £10 to retrieve individual notes. Just take an email contact so that new GP can email them if they require info. Thats the power of email

Tell them to whistle

K
Old Nov 24th 2008, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Even your depo injection you don't really need. Just make a note of when you last had it. You only really need medical notes if one of you has a complex ongoing medical complaint.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

sas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond reputesas-lou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJM
Sas

There are having your pants down with that price. I believe it only cost £10 to retrieve individual notes. Just take an email contact so that new GP can email them if they require info. Thats the power of email

Tell them to whistle

K

No .. doctors are allowed to charge you £10 admin fee and the rest for copies upto max £50 for each person .. it is up to the individual surgery if they want to charge you .. When me and the kids went for our medicals in Nottingham in Feb i asked for 3.5 months worth of notes as i was suffering from sciatica .. i was charged £18.?? and they gave me my notes from August 2006 (that is not 3 months and i gave them all the the doc)..
sod it .. i dont need them

Thank you for your help everyone

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Sharonanana has a brilliant futureSharonanana has a brilliant futureSharonanana has a brilliant futureSharonanana has a brilliant futureSharonanana has a brilliant futureSharonanana has a brilliant future

Good to know- I asked my doctor for my notes this afternoon and was quoted 33p per side of A4 to have them copied!

What are they copying them on- gold leaf??

If anyone IS thinking of taking their notes (and paying for them), make sure you give your doctor's surgery plenty of notice!
Under the freedom of information act they have to supply you the documents within 45 days, and the receptionist at my surgery said it often takes that long!

A member of staff has to review your medical record to check whether anything in it might harm your physical or mental well-being. (???)
They also check whether any third party is mentioned in the notes.
Then they phone you and arrange for you to view the file, at the surgery, in a room, with a member of staff present. You can mark the pages you want copied and pay the charge. The copies should be ready within 10 days.

As I've never had much more than tonsillitis, I think I won't bother.
My partner has had a facet-joint injection in her spine though, so we'll probably go through the whole palaver at the local hospital...
I wonder if they copy the X-rays, or just give you the originals...

Oh what fun!

At the risk of slightly high-jacking this thread- has anyone found their dental records of use in Canada?
Seems like those might be more useful, as pretty much everyone has had some dental work over the years... anyone had their Canadian dentist glance at them?

I wonder if my dentist copies those onto gold leaf, too...
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sharonanana

At the risk of slightly high-jacking this thread- has anyone found their dental records of use in Canada?
Seems like those might be more useful, as pretty much everyone has had some dental work over the years... anyone had their Canadian dentist glance at them?

I wonder if my dentist copies those onto gold leaf, too...
My children went to the dentist today and i asked if i could have their records .. i was told that i couldnt have them as the new dentist would want to start from scratch .. i felt like saying "Are you aware just how expensive dentists are in Canada" but i just said "ok then, well thank you"
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

LotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to all

I wouldn't bother if there is nothing worth noting in the medical notes.

We did get my Hubby's full medical records from the Dr and the hospitals that treated him (he has epilepsy and has had 2 pretty major shoulder ops due to repeated dislocations). We also got my records cos of a spinal injury and also wanted all my maternity notes incase I ever had another child. But we didn't bother with the kids notes because at the time there was nothign worth noting on them - a few repeated ear infections in DD1 that was dealt with by grommets, speech therapy for a lisp in DD2 (they did check her hearing too), and only minor stuff for the others. It just was not worth it for the kids.

Make sure you get a full vaccination record for the kids though if you have any - ask for the Dr's surgery that administered them to give you one on headed notepaper or similar if poss - the school will contact you about your kids vaccinations and it is easier if you have something official (I didn't - I only had the vaccination page out of the kids red-books that I could give them but they still accepted them, but the phoned me to query it)