Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

is £40 000 enough

is £40 000 enough

Old Oct 10th 2007, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Location: always wishing i was somewhere else, getting there and wishing i was somewhere else again.
smiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud of
Default is £40 000 enough

leaving the British Army in 2 years and get £40 000 for my troubles. will this be enough to start me off on a new life in canada. looking at moving to NS, NW or ON but not sure which will be the best or get me safely on with the money that i have. Will also get £500 per month pension as well. thats without even looking for a job yet. any advice gratfully received.

regards
Old Oct 10th 2007, 7:26 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is £40 000 enough

Do you have a house too to sell? Any family coming?

Either way bringing $80k and having $1000 a month is a nice enough safety net, but treat it as such...a safety net. Dont sink it all into the house downpayment.

Last edited by iaink; Oct 10th 2007 at 7:33 pm.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Location: always wishing i was somewhere else, getting there and wishing i was somewhere else again.
smiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud ofsmiges33 has much to be proud of

no. dont have house to sell. just the dosh. thats one of my regrets of my younger years, not buying on. but thats life eh.
Old Oct 10th 2007, 8:30 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smiges33
leaving the British Army in 2 years and get £40 000 for my troubles. will this be enough to start me off on a new life in canada. looking at moving to NS, NW or ON but not sure which will be the best or get me safely on with the money that i have. Will also get £500 per month pension as well. thats without even looking for a job yet. any advice gratfully received.

regards
Yes, its enough. Some people come with nothing.

I don't know if theres much point asking if what you have is "enough". Its what you have so therefore it will just have to do! It will certainly go a lot further in somewhere like Nova Scotia than it will in the UK!

NS, NB or PEI will make your money go the furthest in terms of buying a house. You can definitely get a nice small house in many areas of NS (but not commutable to Halifax) for $80k.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

regards
Have you applied to CIC for PR yet, Calgary real estate sky rocketed close to UK prices (average Calgary single dwelling house price $500k). Not sure what you are looking for but I'm sure Canada can give you it. I would look at the Maritimes for a slower pace of life. Ontario is massive; you could live in a small quite town 15 hours from Toronto or in a large town/city near the golden horse shoe. It totally depends on what you are looking for I would recommend a visit real estate prices vary tremendously.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 1:30 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

regards
Absolutely. I literally came with two suitcases.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

CoreyCanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Being that the UK Pound is worth around $2.20 Canadian dollars you are off to a good start. With the money you bring you could buy a house outright in a small town and easily live off your pension. In a bigger city you will need more. A good website for house prices in Canada is www.mls.ca
Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

KatyM is just really niceKatyM is just really niceKatyM is just really niceKatyM is just really niceKatyM is just really niceKatyM is just really niceKatyM is just really niceKatyM is just really nice

Originally Posted by CoreyCanada
Being that the UK Pound is worth around $2.20 Canadian dollars

I don't think so

andrew
Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:06 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KatyM
I don't think so

andrew
Beat me to it.

<slashes wrists>
Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:07 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

Rent First, $1,000 will get you a decent place no matter where you go.

Figure about $200 a week for basics like food.

Not sure what your training is, but the RCMP are on a recruitment drive, or if a tradesman, Alberta has large demands.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:08 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CoreyCanada
Being that the UK Pound is worth around $2.20 Canadian dollars you are off to a good start.
Where can you get $2.20 Canadian for a UK pound?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Official exchange rate $1.98, if you were to go to the TD bank today you would get $1.942 per UK pound.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Howard1944
Rent First, $1,000 will get you a decent place no matter where you go.

Figure about $200 a week for basics like food.

Not sure what your training is, but the RCMP are on a recruitment drive, or if a tradesman, Alberta has large demands.
You must be a Canadian citizen to become a member of the RCMP.

Last edited by Steve_P; Oct 11th 2007 at 6:12 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P
You must be a Canadian citizen to become a member of the RCMP.
Will you stop editing your posts please? Every time I hit the reply button I find myself replying to a post that is different to the one I just read.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Will you stop editing your posts please? Every time I hit the reply button I find myself replying to a post that is different to the one I just read.
Sorrrrrreeeeee, I'll keep that in mind.

Note to self Souv may be replying.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Sorrrrrreeeeee, I'll keep that in mind.

Note to self Souv may be replying.
I'm not falling for that old trick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.