Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

**********? Peter Miller? Is it a con?

**********? Peter Miller? Is it a con?

Old Jan 28th 2010, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

paul-niki is an unknown quantity at this point
Default **********? Peter Miller? Is it a con?

Hello all,

I have been approached by this company offering "guaranteed" work in BC.
I had contact with them around 12 months ago, due to the Economic downturn they politely said that they could not arrange the positions they had been able to previously offer. Then a few days ago they contacted me and asked if I was still hoping to emmigrate and would I like there upto date info/costs. They are now confident that they have the contacts to get LMO's and TWP's for tradesmen of certain backgrounds. They will not only arrange the work but will complete all forms necessary with our assistance. They charge £4000 for the service. To be honest, for myself, £4k to GUARANTEE a job on arrival is tempting.
But Momma always said if it looks too good, then it is! Also the name Peter Miller sets off alarm bells. (I may be totally wrong about this man who might actually be totally legit!)
Anyhow, any similar emails anyone? Any background on the man or his company?
Thanks for your time.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 9:10 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: **********? Peter Miller? Is it a con?

Originally Posted by paul-niki
Hello all,

I had contact with them around 12 months ago, due to the Economic downturn they politely said that they could not arrange the positions they had been able to previously offer. Then a few days ago they contacted me and asked if I was still hoping to emmigrate and would I like there upto date info/costs. They are now confident that they have the contacts to get LMO's and TWP's for tradesmen of certain backgrounds. They will not only arrange the work but will complete all forms necessary with our assistance. They charge £4000 for the service. To be honest, for myself, £4k to GUARANTEE a job on arrival is tempting.
But Momma always said if it looks too good, then it is! Also the name Peter Miller sets off alarm bells. (I may be totally wrong about this man who might actually be totally legit!)
Thanks for your time.
I would never pay money to get a job.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 9:13 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I heard on the street - well okay, this website - that charging money for placing people in jobs is illegal in BC & AB. I'd be wary.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

bizzymum is just really nicebizzymum is just really nicebizzymum is just really nicebizzymum is just really nicebizzymum is just really nicebizzymum is just really nicebizzymum is just really nicebizzymum is just really nice

I agree. I would never pay for a job. I have heard of people paying thousands to get a job and when they arrive there is NOTHING on the other side. I would research any employment agency with the Better Business Bureau, or something equivalent.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Lady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant future

Usually there is no guarantee (in fact, in many locations this is actually illegal). They are essentially immigration consultants (!) who charge you a lot of money to fill out forms. They have a list of employers that they use to arrange interviews for you (and the small print says it is up to you to actually impress the employer) which you must fly over and attend at your own cost etc, etc. I would point out that it is unlikey these jobs would actually be available to everyone they charge for their services.

Don't touch it with a 10' bargepole and a magnifying glass. The small print was written by the devils lawyer...

Please note: I DON'T know Peter Miller, but I know the set up.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 9:32 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

Thanks for your time.
One of the names you posted (presumably the name of the firm?) has been automatically blanked-out by this forum. That's usually a bad sign.

Also if someone assists you with the immigration process (in addition to arranging employment) they must be a member of CSIC or a Canadian Law Society. Checking CSIC's website there is no Peter Miller listed: https://www.csic-scci.ca/find/all.html#M. You could probably check the BC Law Society list too .
Old Jan 28th 2010, 9:38 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Bottom line, do the work yourself and keep your money in your pocket.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 10:03 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Is he Andrew Millers evil cousin? If so you should probably take your business elsewhere.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

Thanks for your time.
Hi
I've pm'd you
regards
Joinerboy
Old Jan 29th 2010, 7:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Then a few days ago they contacted me and asked if I was still hoping to emmigrate and would I like there upto date info/costs. They are now confident that they have the contacts to get LMO's and TWP's for tradesmen of certain backgrounds. They will not only arrange the work but will complete all forms necessary with our assistance. They charge £4000 for the service.
In which case, it appears that what they're proposing to do is illegal - you might want to quote the below to them from the Employment Standards Act and see what they say! Have a read of the following:

British Columbia

Temporary foreign workers are covered by the provisions of the Act. They cannot be charged a fee for job placement. Employers cannot require them to stay for a set period of time, nor can they charge business or recruitment costs or deduct these costs from their employees' pay cheques.

The exact wording of the relevant section of the Employment Standards Act is:

10 (1) A person must not request, charge or receive, directly or indirectly, from a person seeking employment a payment for

(a) employing or obtaining employment for the person seeking employment, or

(b) providing information about employers seeking employees.

Added to which, as others have said, the fact that the company name has appears as stars means that they've had less than favourable reports on here in the past.

Personally, I wouldn't go near them, but obviously up to you.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 12:57 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Is he Andrew Millers evil cousin? If so you should probably take your business elsewhere.
Eviler cousin, surely
Old Jan 29th 2010, 2:27 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Eviler cousin, surely
True. His fall from grace was quite spectacular.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
True. His fall from grace was quite spectacular.
That was a plummet to the bottom with concrete boots on
Old Jan 30th 2010, 3:14 am
Just Joined

twotoast is on a distinguished road

I agree with the others - you should not pay for a job - if the employer is keen to have you, they will pay. Be careful!
Old Jan 31st 2010, 4:10 am
Just Joined

Truth and Integrity is an unknown quantity at this point

I AM Peter Miller and in response to this thread, in fairness I think I'm entitled to respond to these 'concerns/questions' about me and my company.

These are the FACTS, so we can clear-up any mis-understandings and false allegations:

#1. Firstly, we do NOT charge for employment and our letter specifically states "NO charge for the Job".

#2. We act as Authorized Recruitement Agents for 35 Vancouver Employers and make 'Job Offers' to qualified Tradesmen. Many have been working on Olympic projects. Steel Fixers, Bricklayers, Carpenters, Roofers, Painters, etc.

Have been in business successfully since 2004 and re-settled 100's of British families in Vancouver. Secured them LMO's PNP's and PR. No interviews or expensive flights to Canada are required, rather we visit the UK.

#3. Our fee's are competive rates to process a Skilled Worker application thro' our Licensed Immigration Consultant. We include a Job Offer from one of the Employers we represent, to repeat, at NO cost.

#4. Our fee's also include E-LMO's which we already have pre-approved in our office. Fortunately, because of this, we have no need to apply for new LMO's which are very difficult to secure nowadays.

#5. We also include an AEO if necessary. In other words we offer EMPLOYMENT SPONSORSHIP for PR, which is extremely valuable and rarely achievable from anyone still living and working in the UK.

#6. We are Members of ICBA, I've been a Speaker at the Vancouver Construction Trade Show, been a Speaker and an Exhibitor at Emigrate Show at Sandown and am well-known by 'Emigrate' Magazine personnel in the UK. I have 30 years experience in re-locating UK Nationals to N. America. We enjoy an excellent reputation for a quality service at good value for money.

#7. If anyone has questions I invite and welcome them to contact me directly, rather than voicing concerns in a Public Forum. This forum has it's place for general discussion, but is not really appropriate for questions to be raised and answered accurately by annonymous respondants who admit they have no idea of who we are, or what we offer? Virtually everyone said that. And who are these replies from anyway? No one knows......

#8. Calling a legitimate business "illegal"....."unlikely these jobs would be available" etc. is libellous, defamatory, uncalled for and indeed grossly unfair to the person looking for assurance.

#9. I make quite clear that every individual has options, ie: to find their own job, if so for their Employer to secure an LMO, or to secure their own AEO or PNP, or to process their own PR application. On the other-hand, we offer an 'all in-inclusive' one-stop option, as an alternative, we invite them to consider.

Saying "keep your money, do it yourself", is a mis-formed response, much easier said then done. It is very, very difficult to secure a Job Offer in Canada whilst residing in the UK and just as difficult is convincing an Employer to apply for an LMO and be approved these days!

#10. I am not related to ANDREW Miller and have no connection to him. Being called his 'evil cousin' is the 'cherry on the cake' in false accusation. In fact I've had my own issues with him some years ago.

I understand why some may 'question' certain matters in the area of Employment and Immigration, but it is quite unethical, unfair and just plain wrong to cross a line and bad-mouth and judge an honest person and a legitimate business, especially when the person does so annonymously.

In summary, we try and help British Tradesmen and their families start a new life in Canada, as quickly as possible.

We are in the position to be 'ready, willing and able to do so'. As such we charge a fair fee. Anything wrong with that?

We run an honest, ethical business and offer a good product as a fair price. Maybe some others don't, but please don't tar everyone with the same brush.

For once it would be nice for some people, especially the British of which I'm one, not to gripe, bitch or criticize. That's one of the things I don't miss about my fellow countrymen, as it's not that prevelant amongst Canadians, thank God.

If Paul has more questions or concerns I invite him to call my office in Vancouver or e-mail me.

On the other-hand, if he decides to pursue another route, that's fine too.

Believe me, in this day and age, we have more business than we can handle, as I know of no other Company that offers 'as much for so little'.

Thank you,
Peter Miller, which is my real name, and I have no reason to hide behind annonymous, non-de-plume.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.